In Ten years time...

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Grant

In Ten years time...

Post by Grant »

Next months edition of Australian Golf Digest is taking a " crystal ball" look at the future of Australian golf- in ten years,who will be our stars, what will the tour be like and the state of world golf in general.

Of course, the editor asked me to come up with an article predicting the future of Australian wine , to fit the edition.

It is quite an interesting exercise- completely fanciful of course, but it does get the mind ticking over in all sorts of creative ways.

Thought it might make an interesting point of discussion. What changes will be evident in our industry? Will the world wine landscape be dramatically different, and will the same styles of wine still be popular?

Plenty of food for thought. My article is already past sub-edit so I'm not looking to plagiarise anyone(!), but still keen to hear any ideas.

Cheers

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

The rest of the world will have learned to appreciate Sparkling Shiraz and we will still be talking about the riesling and cabernet "revival".

(And Adam Scott will have won four majors...).

Cheers

Mike

Grant

Post by Grant »

Mike,

Someone else suggested to me that global warming will make Tasmania the new place to make full bodied reds! ( A bit tongue in cheek of course, but I did like it)

Cheers

Post by Guest »

Winefront will become the most influential publication.

TORB will published his diaries in a coffee table hard cover book.

Grant will win the PGA tournament.

707 finally release his cult wine make in his garage.

RP will call it a day :oops:

Post by 707 »

OK guest, you'd better reveal yourself, you know too much.

I thought the single barrel cult wine I was making in my garage was a secret, is nothing sacred?

I was fiddling with the 2003 a few days ago, bloody lovely. Off to be screwed shortly, no dirty tree bark for my baby!!

Grant, I think that's what will be a definite in 10 years, no cork closures, all screwcap and Zork.
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!

Mike M

Post by Mike M »

And rumour has it that 707's cult wine actually a fruity white!!! Is nothing sacrosanct??
Wine is a never-ending education

Post by Guest »

Parker will replaced his Greenock Creek darling with Warrabilla reds :D

jester

Post by jester »

Penfolds will be owned by Macquarie Bank and all the critics will be still hanging shit on the newly released 2012 Bin range saying dispite being a very good wine the Bin 389 quite simply doesn't justify the $80 price tag and that the Bin 28 is much better value at $50.

Daryl Douglas

Post by Daryl Douglas »

[quote="jester"]Penfolds will be owned by Macquarie Bank and all the critics will be still hanging shit on the newly released 2012 Bin range saying dispite being a very good wine the Bin 389 quite simply doesn't justify the $80 price tag and that the Bin 28 is much better value at $50.[/quote

I don't give a rat's xxxx about golf, just about the same care factor I have for the SouthMount label Penfolds, that may well soon turn blue :lol: . If the bidding gets really serious, can't help but wonder whether the federal government body responsible for foreign investment levels would object to Constellation taking over Southmount whilst it's still in intensive care. Unsure about the ACC, but the government wouldn't care any more about that than X-Strata taking over WMC and the world's biggest known uranium deposit. BHP Billiton have weighed into the bidding - "it's a good fit with our current operations". Can anyone though seriously believe that China won't move to nuclear power? They've the technology and are causing the world's other natural resources to be depleted at an increasing rate. I've seen 30+ ships lined up at Dalrymple Bay/Hay Point waiting to load coal, much of which is, increasingly so, destined for China. What's the life expectancy of a Chinese coalminer? TOO LONG! Guess there are always shady people in the background, making deals. What else is a politician?:roll:

I think I need a .38 magnum that I can leave in the car just in case those itinerants I gave a couple of smokes to last night become threatening and dangerous. WHO LOCKED THE CAR? WHERE THE ^^^^ IS THE KEY. Should had carried it with me so I could be a lone ranger too. But I was forced to accept it so I could protect myself - didn't trust those Ara

If Constellation weighs into the bidding for SouthMount huge monopoly of the local industry. Probably not - the UK used to, and prossiby still does, own more of this country than the resident population. Globalisation is great for the affluent! S'good we don't have bulk oil reserves or we may be invaded. I've always been a bit worried about what happens at Lucas Heights! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wonder if there's ever been any lease payments made for Pine Gap and other installationsl Probably not - it seems our political masters, regardless of their leaning would rather bribe the electorate than pay for that level of techno stuff, even if it were available to an "ally". But at least this country is supplied with maybe as much electronic intelligence as any other subservient, brown-nose ally. :shock:

Jester, I like your humorous prognostications, about as speculative as anything I've written above. Y'know when y' tell someone a joke, apart from timing and facial expressions, the best way to get a laugh is to laugh at your own joke? Though that demands a bit of timing too. :shock: :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The global society is still evolving, revolving, evolving, revolving. Bloody hell, those scratched CDs are even worse than scratched vinyl LPs. They seem to just go doyng, doyng, doyng, blrt tar tar tar, boyng, boyng, ddddrrr, dddrrr for just long enough to become annoying.

blrt, doyng, boyng, zzzt, 10-1, US forces get the nod! But not necessarily their political masters. :twisted:

daz

daz

jester

Post by jester »

DD,
some very valid points there for sure but me thinks it is time to crack a nice bottle o vino and relax. Crazy world.........oh yeah :!:

Grant

Post by Grant »

Steve,

I think you should brand it " Single Barrel ", and then call this cuvee, "Single Barrel", hence, Single Barrel's Single Barrel 2003 ! What do you think?

I have a friend who has planted some vines near Bowral, and is due to harvest his first crop next year. Instead of bottling his own wine, he has had Dave Powell put some wine side for him, which will go into his own label to be distributed to his friends. He has called his new label,

" Total Lack of Integrity" !

Gotta love it.

GD