Starting out.

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Ratcatcher

Starting out.

Post by Ratcatcher »

A woman I work with and her husband have watched a couple of TV shows recently advising of the health benefits of moderate wine drinking and being over 40 they thought they should start drinking the stuff. Problem is they don't like the taste of it (Heathens!) but they want to learn to like it.

She asked me for suggestions for suitable wines to get them used to the taste of wine and develop a taste for it. Her question really stumped me.

The first wines I drank were Ben Ean Moselle and Liebfrauwine and cask whites and sparkling wines.

I suggested Brown Brothers Moscato and their Dolcetto and Syrah because they have that light fizz and are lower alcohol (???). But I couldn't really offer any other suggestions. Recommending wines for people who don't like wine is not an easy task.

I suggested they be careful buying cheaper reds but cheaper whites were usually quite drinkable. I don't think they want to buy expensive bottles at this stage but I guess you are more likely to develop a taste for something if you experience good ones.

My only other advice was when starting out drinking red wines make sure you have them with food.

Can anyone suggest any good wines for wine beginners or any other useful advice?

Adair

Post by Adair »

I would look to warm climate Shiraz or Grenache (if they like a little confection) with low acid and low tannin. I recently gave a beginner the 2003 Rockbare Shiraz ($13) and they were most pleased. I would start here.

With whites, I guess Sauvignon Blanc or the WA SSBs blends would be the go. I suspect Australian Riesling might have a little too much acid when young for a novice palate.

Fruit, fruit, fruit!!!

Adair

Ratcatcher

Post by Ratcatcher »

Thanks Adair. Good suggestions.

What do you think about sparkling reds for wine beginners? I originally thought of that but then I thought the cheap ones would turn people off wine or wouldn't help them eventually develop a taste for real reds.

But I guess the Seppelt Original could be worth a try?

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

I agree with Adair on the "fruit, fruit, fruit" bit, easy on the oak and tannins.

Re Sparkling reds, it depends a bit on their budget, but as well as the Seppelts Original there is the Bleasdale Sp Shiraz NV and even Sir James or Peter Rumball on special.

I had a cleanskin Mudgee sparkling shiraz last night, medium-bodied dark cherry-spectrum fruit, not very sweet and fruit sweet rather than sugar sweet, good value at $16.95.

One way I've found to help people early on the wine journey to get hooked on reds is to dig out a few good but cheaper reds from my cellar that are nearing maturity and sell them at around cost price, to show them what mature wines can be like. Helps me make way for new purchases too. :-)
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

frascati

Post by frascati »

I too am new to the wine game (only 27) and this thread made me really think about why I began to like wine. I was not introduced to wine by anyone but I guess the fact I live in Europe and have French wine all around me that I thought I should enjoy it while I can.
I have come to a few conclusions in a short space of time - French wine is over valued, Aussie Shiraz can be sheer class.
I probably looked mostly for fruit to begin with but was shocked that wine could contain so much spice and flavour.
I suggest the best thing to do to begin with is to listen to experienced drinkers but also splurge on a 'good bottle' occassionally as this can stimulate much excitement.
But my biggest advice is don't rush in when buying, just sample. I have spent a few thousand on rash decisions and although they were not terrible buys I would have put the best part of this $ elsewhere. I love to read the reviews of the members here (especially the Red Bigots, Gary Walsh also seems quite smart :D is he??).
For those interested the wines that I have enjoyed as a beginner were Wirra Wirra RSW, Grant Burge Filsell, and St Henri, plus alot of Penfolds Bin range.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Red Bigot wrote: there is the Bleasdale Sp Shiraz NV

Brian
This has just appeared in our local wine merchants - how does it compare to the Seppelts Show Reserve SS?
ta
Ian

Post by 707 »

From memory it's red wines that have the health benefit not whites (which is obvious eh?)

I'd suggest a Shiraz Viognier where the latter is at a dominant %.

One that comes to mind is Zontie's Footsteps SV, only about $13-14 and very juicy, although I personally don't like it.

I'd be most surprised if they didn't develop a taste for something like that.
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Ian S wrote:
Red Bigot wrote: there is the Bleasdale Sp Shiraz NV

Brian
This has just appeared in our local wine merchants - how does it compare to the Seppelts Show Reserve SS?
ta
Ian

Hi Ian, it's more in competition with and similar to the Original Sparkling Shiraz 2002 than the Show Reserve, it's around $15 street price here. I don't know how much older vintage material there is, but it's luscious and fresh, good mousse and viscous mouthfeel, could get just a touch cloying towards the end if drinking between two people only.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

707 wrote:From memory it's red wines that have the health benefit not whites (which is obvious eh?)

Steve old mate, it is not often my opinion differs from yours, but, it has been argued very strongly that both reds and whites offer health improvements. It is possible, but not proven to my satisfaction, that reds may be more beneficial. I hope so 'cause I drink way more red than white.
MM.

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

I'm not sure how easy it is to get as I got mine from the winery but I've been sculling the Rockford Alicante Bouchet all summer and all my red hating and rose hating friends have all been converted. It's a very easy drink to like.

I'd agree with the 02 Grant Burge Filsell as being a killer too and the 02 Saltram Mamre Brook Cabernet also has everyone raving. If you can still find some 01 Seppelt Chalambar around that's a good one too. If they don't like those wines, it's probably not worth going any further down the red path.

I guess they are looking for wines around the $10 mark though as an everyday drinker so maybe the 02 Bastion is worth looking at and the Tatachilla Partners isn't too bad in the same price range.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

Post by Guest »

Adair wrote:I would look to warm climate Shiraz or Grenache (if they like a little confection) with low acid and low tannin. I recently gave a beginner the 2003 Rockbare Shiraz ($13) and they were most pleased. I would start here.

With whites, I guess Sauvignon Blanc or the WA SSBs blends would be the go. I suspect Australian Riesling might have a little too much acid when young for a novice palate.

Fruit, fruit, fruit!!!

Adair

Where can you find the RockBare 03 Shiraz for $13????

Adair

Post by Adair »

Anonymous wrote:Where can you find the RockBare 03 Shiraz for $13????

I think it is widely available for this price at Sydney's discount wine warehouses. The one I bought my 6 from was Avalon Wine. I am not too keen to publicise a competitve reseller here but I don't think they would be earning too much on this wine and they probably don't compete with AWC much either.

Kind regards,
Adair

Post by Guest »

Hi Adair,
I don't think we'll see RockBare Shiraz at $13/bottle again. I know the RRP is $20/bottle, and the winery won't be happy if the retailers sell it for much below that.

Adair

Post by Adair »

Anonymous wrote:Hi Adair,
I don't think we'll see RockBare Shiraz at $13/bottle again. I know the RRP is $20/bottle, and the winery won't be happy if the retailers sell it for much below that.

I get the feeling that you might be from the winery. Given the ads in the SMH Good Living, I can understand why the winery would not be happy.

However, usually something can be found in this price range that will please the masses with its fruit. The Kurtz GSM is another that comes to mind.

Adair

DJ

Post by DJ »

Food! Food! Food!

In my experience of introducing people to wine this is the critical factor. Especially when starting out with reds the tanins are confronting - served with protein the tanins appear to drop and the wine is more approachable. Additional a bit of bottle age will often soften the wine a bit.

Those of us who are happy to drink wine on any occassion can forget most of our best wine experiences are with meals and this is the best way to introduce wine to people.

DJ
David J

Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake 1Ti 5:23

Adair

Post by Adair »

Anonymous wrote:Hi Adair,

The whole range of Rockbare wines are available at $12.99 each by the case plus 2 Riedel Shiraz glasses thrown it for free at a local bottle shop near where I live.

Adair

Serge Birbrair

Post by Serge Birbrair »

I'd advise them to start with Chateau Lafite, 1982

At the prices this wine goes for, they will:
1) love it, cherish and appreciate it rather quick
2) be VERY moderate drinkers, like tea spoon a week each
:)