Aussy vintners should be shot....

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Serge Birbrair

Aussy vintners should be shot....

Post by Serge Birbrair »

Guys,
I just finished the bottle of
Marquis Phillips Shiraz 9, 2003 and now on top of "Foxy" Shiraz I MUST get a case of this beauty!

It's bigger than ANYTHING I've had so far, and I can't find the food to compliment this beauty, this wine is a food in itself!

The color is perfect BLACK, I couldn't see my finger thru the rim! Black hole is "whiter" than the color of this magnifecent wine. Nose reminds me my other all tiem favorite Vitis Terrarum from Spain. 16% alchohol is INVISIBLE, the balance of this wine is just amazing. Chow-Chow,
this grape haven't dissolved 2x2, it dissolved 2x4 and few oak barrels in the process.

I am completely in LOVE and I have Aussies to blame! It's undignified to fall in love at my age!
;)

Please, stop sending us your best juice! You are breaking our US wallets,
$36(US) a bottle, , and IRRESSISTABLE! to control oneself....because of your vintners, our trade defecit is bulging, making US Dollar smaller than my you know what!
;)

TORB

Re: Aussy vintners should be shot....

Post by TORB »

Serge wrote:Please, stop sending us your best juice!

Serge,

We arn't and its not! :shock: The MP9 is an export job and most Oz wine lovers that I know that have tried it don't think much of it but the American market just laps it up.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Serge Birbrair

Post by Serge Birbrair »

TORB,
I loved it and if the entire continet of Australia doesn't think much of it,
I still love it.

This is Arnold Shwarzenigger of the wines,
as my wife put it in the article whe wrote for an Australain magazine

http://sexia.com

Post by Guest »

Serge, I bought the 2001 fr Wickman's auction. It nearly sent me inro orbit :oops: Couldnt get the '02(heard this is the best)
The '03 is supposed to be the tamest of the lot and it's enuf to send u in the state of ecstasy...goodonya mate! :roll:

btw. Sparky Marquis is the original winemaker of Fox Creek(left in 1998) Others S.Marquis u should get ur dirty fingers on is his Henry Drive Rsv., Shirvington(not as potent as the Shiraz 9) and label prestige - Intergrity Shiraz.

His stuffs are evil and I'm a devotee :twisted:

Chow Chow

Post by Chow Chow »

opps. it's me :oops:
Purple Tongue

Alan Rath

Re: Aussy vintners should be shot....

Post by Alan Rath »

TORB wrote:We aren't and its not!

The stuff tastes like liquid licorice to me. Lots of people like it, and that's great, but the M-P stuff is not every gringo's favorite, at least not this one ;)

Cheers,
Alan

Serge Birbrair

Post by Serge Birbrair »

Chow Chow,
the store where I shop gets 4 cases a year and they last 3-4 days.
The store have run out of Foxy 2002 already, hopefully the owner gets more on Thursday from other franchisees, I made him swear on the Bible
;)

If 2003 is "tame", I can't even IMAGINE how 2002 tastes like!

smithy

Black wines

Post by smithy »

8)

Heh Serge,

Ask Torb who has tried both which is bigger.....my Petit Sirah/ (Durif)

or the MP9.

Cheers

Smithy
home of the mega-red

Serge Birbrair

Re: Black wines

Post by Serge Birbrair »

smithy wrote:8)

Heh Serge,

Ask Torb who has tried both which is bigger.....my Petit Sirah/ (Durif)

or the MP9.

Cheers

Smithy

Smithy,
I believe it's YOURS,
or you wouldn't bring it up. Can you send me a bottle, so I could be like TORB and familiar with both too?
;)

I only kidding, the state I am living in doesn't allow direct shipments of wine to consumers,
*^%#%ers!

Chow Chow

Post by Chow Chow »

Hi Smitty, Heard so much abot ur wines but no chance to purchase any.

Stylistically. is it anything like the Bullers Calliope '02?
It found it crossing the border of being over-riped. Too sweet & jammy even though I prefered a playboy centerfold to... say Nicole Kidman sorta wines.
Purple Tongue

Baby Chickpea

Post by Baby Chickpea »

Marquis phillips? Isn't this the stuff that Boral and CSR/Rinker use to lay road pavements with? :wink:

For me, the stuff is undrinkable. Genuinely undrinakble. Liquid detergent with a dose of Benadryl. Makes Duck Muck look like a Moscato d'asti.
Danny

The voyage of discovery lies not in finding new landscapes but in having new eyes. We must never be afraid to go too far, for success lies just beyond - Marcel Proust

Serge Birbrair

Post by Serge Birbrair »

Baby Chickpea wrote:For me, the stuff is undrinkable. Genuinely undrinakble. .

it's OK, the person's taste is as unique as person's fingerprints.
There are no 2 people in the world who like exactly the same things with 100% correlation.

Davo

Post by Davo »

Have tried both, Mr Smith wins hands down not just for size because everyone knows size isn't everything :lol: but also for flavour profile and balance.

Now Smithy, about that dozen free Parolas for the plug :lol:

TORB

Post by TORB »

Chow Chow wrote:Hi Smitty, Heard so much abot ur wines but no chance to purchase any.

Stylistically. is it anything like the Bullers Calliope '02?

Martin,

Brian, Campbell and I tasted our way though almost 40 Durifs at Warrabilla recently, all double blind. You will have to wait for our stories to come out for all the detail, by Warribilla was at the top of the pile and I did not find them over-ripe. Buller was right up there too.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

smithy

Post by smithy »

8)

Serge

Beginning to think our free trade agreement is a bit wobbly. You in the states don't even have free trade between each other!

You must get a bit envious of the way we as consumers can just ring up any winery in the country and get whatever is available cheaply reliably and even LEGALLY!

Cheers
Smithy
home of the mega-red

smithy

Post by smithy »

8)

Serge

Beginning to think our free trade agreement is a bit wobbly. You in the states don't even have free trade between each other!

You must get a bit envious of the way we as consumers can just ring up any winery in the country and get whatever is available cheaply reliably and even LEGALLY!

Cheers
Smithy
home of the mega-red

Serge Birbrair

Post by Serge Birbrair »

smithy wrote:8)

Serge

Cheers
Smithy

you think I am "just a bit" envious?????

Oh no,
this is envy of Gargantuan proportion!!!!
You KNOW that something is wrong in the country when I can buy:
guns and have 'em shipped from anywhere in the country,
but can't buy...beverge. This case is now in the Supreme Court,
as the 21st Constitutional amendment contradicts the federal law of free trade between the states.
We'll see if "supremes" see what everybody but liquor distributors who control the trade see.

Chow Chow

Post by Chow Chow »

Serge, OZ wines r like fellow OZzies.

Big, strong and friendly :wink:

Frenchies r more pretentious
Purple Tongue

Serge Birbrair

Post by Serge Birbrair »

Chow Chow wrote:Serge, OZ wines r like fellow OZzies.

Big, strong and friendly :wink:

Frenchies r more pretentious

well...only Kiwi whites make it to USA and I don't do whites much
;(

As for Frenchies...I'll see them in Paris in 2 weeks and I'll let them know you said that
;)

Mike M

Post by Mike M »

Serge,

There is a big box wine store here in the Chicago area called Sam's Wine Store, and they have a very large selection of wines worldwide. I just checked their website www.samswine.com and looked for the Marquis Phillips Shiraz 9. It shows online that they have the stuff at $35 pb. Whether or not they actually have it still in the store could be another question. There are 2 stores in the area, one reasonably close to where I live. I was there a week ago - too bad I didn't know about it then cuz I could have checked for you. Want me to take a look?

Mike M

Post by Mike M »

Serge,

There is a big box wine store here in the Chicago area called Sam's Wine Store, and they have a very large selection of wines worldwide. I just checked their website www.samswine.com and looked for the Marquis Phillips Shiraz 9. It shows online that they have the stuff at $35 pb. Whether or not they actually have it still in the store could be another question. There are 2 stores in the area, one reasonably close to where I live. I was there a week ago - too bad I didn't know about it then cuz I could have checked for you. Want me to take a look?

Serge Birbrair

Post by Serge Birbrair »

Mike M wrote:Serge,

Mike, thanks!

I'll pick up a case today and living in Florida, no recipe state,
has the huge disadvantages-
I can look but I can't touch anything beyond state border
;(

Let's hope "supremes" do the right thing thsi year,
than we'll be able to buy wine as easily as we buy guns.

Post by Guest »

Sick, ain't it? It's OK to shoot it, but we dare not drink it mate. Thank goodness we don't have the same shipping restrictions here in IL that you guys have in FLA. Good luck, I hope you can get the case OK.

Serge Birbrair

Post by Serge Birbrair »

Anonymous wrote:Sick, ain't it? It's OK to shoot it, but we dare not drink it mate. Thank goodness we don't have the same shipping restrictions here in IL that you guys have in FLA. Good luck, I hope you can get the case OK.

shouldn't be a problem,
I threatened the store owner with bodyly harm if I don't..this si where guns come handy!
;)

smithy

Post by smithy »

8)

Serge

I had know idea it was that bad!
The bit with the guns is just amazing!

Cheers
Smithy
home of the mega-red

Post by 707 »

Guns but not wine, amazingly stupid and incongruous.

As they say, it could only happen in America!
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!

Serge Birbrair

Post by Serge Birbrair »

well,
I got my case of MP and new Q45 Infinity.....believe it or not,
I am more excited about MP and how it will taste 4-5 years from now!

yes, it is bad.....267 distributors in USA control the entire market....this is dispeakable!

Don Coyote

Post by Don Coyote »

Marquis Phillips is the worst example of overoaked, over-extracted, excessively high alcohol wines that I've had the misfortune to gag down (in the spirit of polite company), anytime, anywhere. Neophyte North American cherry pickers and numbers chasers just lap this stuff up, and I don't understand why. It's rather like the emperor and his "new clothes," except that most of the onlookers still see pomp and brocade. It might be best described as a case of "sheeple" under the thrall of the Numbers Dictators, whose mandate is "Extraction, manipulation and excess."

Not for me, thank you very much.
Don't take any guff from those swine.

Don Coyote

Post by Don Coyote »

Marquis Phillips is the worst example of overoaked, over-extracted, excessively high alcohol wines that I've had the misfortune to gag down (in the spirit of polite company), anytime, anywhere. Neophyte North American cherry pickers and numbers chasers just lap this stuff up, and I don't understand why. It's rather like the emperor and his "new clothes," except that most of the onlookers still see pomp and brocade. It might be best described as a case of "sheeple" under the thrall of the Numbers Dictators, whose mandate is "Extraction, manipulation and excess."

Not for me, thank you very much.
Don't take any guff from those swine.

dingo

Post by dingo »

Gee! go back to your Xanadu Cab then :lol: