Best Merlot

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Murray

Post by Murray »

Anonymous wrote:
Murray wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Murray wrote:The 2001 Petaluma Merlot is fantastic. It was the indent release but there is some around the place at present; around $45-50/btl.

Where can you find this wine i have been waiting to get some?

If you bought it on Indent, the Indent shipment was delivered last August from memory.

Some retailers also bought it for retail sale, Gavin doesn't have it listed, but may be able to source it.

Out of curiousity what indent?

Petaluma was (one of) the first Australian makers to sell a wine in indent; where you pay up front for the future delivery of the wine. The first Petaluma wine was the 1990 Merlot (although Tyrrels have been playing in this space for a while as well).

The 2001 was a slight change in pattern where you paid only about 5 months ahead of delivery, in previous vintages this had been 12 months plus ahead of time.

The indent process occurs regularly in Bordeaux, which is where much weight is placed on the views of those critic who taste the unfinished wines at the Chateaux.

The Petaluma Indent is sold through retailers, although there's apparently not a release of the 2002 Merlot; it all having gone into the Petaluma Coonawarra Red for that year.
Murray Almond

Post by Guest »

Lets make it more interesting ! Best merlots under $25 - makes for some pretty quick and unfortunately sad reading. maybe our mate Miles was right and we should be drinking Pinot Noir, but again the same dilemma arises - No wonder SA Shirazs dominate at the moment

NN

Post by Guest »

Lets make it more interesting ! Best merlots under $25 - makes for some pretty quick and unfortunately sad reading. maybe our mate Miles was right and we should be drinking Pinot Noir, but again the same dilemma arises - No wonder SA Shirazs dominate at the moment

NN

Post by Guest »

Murray wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Murray wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Murray wrote:The 2001 Petaluma Merlot is fantastic. It was the indent release but there is some around the place at present; around $45-50/btl.

Where can you find this wine i have been waiting to get some?

If you bought it on Indent, the Indent shipment was delivered last August from memory.

Some retailers also bought it for retail sale, Gavin doesn't have it listed, but may be able to source it.

Out of curiousity what indent?

My retailers in my area still have the 99. From all reports i hope they skip the 2000 and go to 01 soon.

What is Taylors St Andrews Merlot like for quility? Has anyone tried this?

Petaluma was (one of) the first Australian makers to sell a wine in indent; where you pay up front for the future delivery of the wine. The first Petaluma wine was the 1990 Merlot (although Tyrrels have been playing in this space for a while as well).

The 2001 was a slight change in pattern where you paid only about 5 months ahead of delivery, in previous vintages this had been 12 months plus ahead of time.

The indent process occurs regularly in Bordeaux, which is where much weight is placed on the views of those critic who taste the unfinished wines at the Chateaux.

The Petaluma Indent is sold through retailers, although there's apparently not a release of the 2002 Merlot; it all having gone into the Petaluma Coonawarra Red for that year.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Lets make it more interesting ! Best merlots under $25 - makes for some pretty quick and unfortunately sad reading. maybe our mate Miles was right and we should be drinking Pinot Noir, but again the same dilemma arises - No wonder SA Shirazs dominate at the moment

NN

Preece Merlot is acceptable for the money.

jester

Post by jester »

A tricky variety to define in my books, the only one that has truely impressed was the 1998 Katnook Merlot that was delicious with hearty pasta dish

Mark G

Post by Mark G »

Murray's on the money with 2001 Petaluma Merlot - fantastic wine. Only other merlot that has matched it this year was NZ's Craggy Range's "Sophia", it to was sublime.

Cheers

Mark G
"When a true genius appears ... the dunces are all in confederacy against him" - Ignatius Reilly

Post by Guest »

jester wrote:A tricky variety to define in my books, the only one that has truely impressed was the 1998 Katnook Merlot that was delicious with hearty pasta dish

My Retailer is still selling the 94 Katnook. Would be way past its peak.

Pepertree Reserve is getting good reviews and consistantly.

99 Petaluma is drinking well and 2001 should be a cracker from all reports.

Davo

Post by Davo »

Chestnut Grove from Manjimup, Yalumba's Smith and Hooper Wrattonbully Merlot, Hainault Merlot from the Perth Hills.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

I think most Australian merlot is very average.

I do, however, put away more vintages than not of Henschke's Abbott's Prayer. About 90% merlot this vintage. Classy seasoned oak, good varietal qualities and a bit of backbone when needed with some cabernet sauvignon added.

Currently working my way through the 92's, 93's & 94's.

Probably buy these vintages at auction for what I paid for them on release! :?

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Lets make it more interesting ! Best merlots under $25 - makes for some pretty quick and unfortunately sad reading. maybe our mate Miles was right and we should be drinking Pinot Noir, but again the same dilemma arises - No wonder SA Shirazs dominate at the moment

NN

Preece Merlot is acceptable for the money.

Have to agree with you on that - we got gifted a bottle & expectations were low, but it was a pretty good quaffer. Couldn't fault it.
Ian

Post by Guest »

The 02 Preece Merlot is a great wine. Havent tried the 03 yet what was the Vintage you had?