Best Merlot

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter

Best Merlot

Post by Guest »

Hi am interested to know what Australias best 2 Merlots would be on a consistant basis and also Frances best 2 {under $80 AUD}? Straight Merlot only please.

Cheers

Post by Guest »

Classic McLaren Wines 2001 La Testa merlot Very very delicious wine! You won't be dissapointed.

Give a Tony or Krys call on +61 8 83239551

Post by 707 »

Irvine Grand Merlot has been producing the goods forever it seems and has had international success knocking off stuff like Petrus on occasions.

A wine that always does well whenever the Blacktongues do Merlot is the Penley from Coonawarra, verey consistent from vintage to vintage too.
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!

Adair

Post by Adair »

The Irvine Grand Merlot seems to be the Australian Merlot with the largest reputation... and pricetag probably. The Petaluma is probably the other with the greatest reputation.

I believe Katnook can make a good one, and other Coonawarra producers are making serious attempts at straight Merlot and succeeding. You should probably investigate here further.

A Canberra producer called Kyeema is also doing good things.

You might be interested to read the following Merlot dinner presented by Attila:
http://www.auswine.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=357

On the other hand, Australian Merlot to many people is like New World Sauvignin Blanc to me. :)

Kind regards,
Adair

Baby Chickpea

Post by Baby Chickpea »

Only one that I would ever buy (and do) - Wild Duck Creek Reserve Merlot. Lush, flamboyant, fruity but with great structure. lovely stuff! Not cheap at $90 but a cracker and WOW wine. This, from someone whose fave Bordeaux region is Pomerol!
Danny

The voyage of discovery lies not in finding new landscapes but in having new eyes. We must never be afraid to go too far, for success lies just beyond - Marcel Proust

Post by Guest »

Perhaps Howard Park "Best Barrels" would make it into this mix

smithy

Merlot

Post by smithy »

8)

A totally unbiased opinion on Aussie Merlot, would have Warrabilla at the top of the tree.
They are big, and only made in the best years (though the 2000 was one of the best). Alcohols are 15% +, and the newly released 2004 is right up there.

Price a mere $22 cellardoor.

For those who dispute this claim ( and they will be legion) I would happily put my 98, 00, 01 and 04 against ANY 4 Merlots in the country!

Cheers

Smithy
home of the mega-red

KMP

Post by KMP »

Miles wrote:"I am NOT drinking any F*@#king Merlot :!: "

Now who's for a taste of the spit bucket?

Miles and I feel pretty much the same about a lot of Merlot. But I've cut and pasted a bit from my Blog on our Barossa trip because the Irvine Merlots are pretty good. We did not get to taste the big gun, the Grand Merlot. The Hotel is pretty rustic, so they probably do have a full spit bucket lying around somewhere!

On the way back to Tanunda we dropped into the Eden Valley Hotel for a bite to eat and a taste of some Merlot. In a corner of the main bar we shared mini pizzas and a glass of the three reds scrawled on the chalk board. The Irvine Spring Hill Merlot was a dense cherry red and fragrant with the perfume of violets. Soft and supple on entry, it was well balanced with the flavors carrying well on retronasal. (2, 2, 4.0, 10.0 = 18.0/20). The Irvine Eden Crest Merlot was a bigger, richer and more complex wine with attractive notes of blueberries and black currents. Soft and supple on entry, with vanilla present on retronasal, and a lengthy finish this was quite a nice Merlot. (2, 2, 4.2, 10.4 = 18.6/20). The Irvine Zinfandel was a dense cherry red with a briery, underbrush note and ripe fruit, and just a hint of ethyl acetate (volatile acidity). The mouthfeel was medium weight and the wine was well balanced with pleasing acidity and the flavors carried through on retronasal. (2, 2, 3.9, 9.8 = 17.7/20).

Mike

Post by Guest »

I am a fan of the Petaluma Merlot 99 even though its young at the moment.01 has rated very well but seems like it wont be available forever.

Justin B.

Post by Justin B. »

I would support Petaluma Merlot.
Justin B.

Post by Guest »

I am not a great Merlot drinker but have enjoyed the Coonawarra Merlot from Peppertree. I think they now call it the Grand Reserve Merlot or some such "asking for a bigger price" name. The last one I had was the '98, I think, and it was very good.
MM.

Chow Chow

Post by Chow Chow »

I've a soft spot for straight Merlot. The best I've drunk was Charles Cimicky Merlot 1998. Their 2000 isnt too shabby.
Another cracker is Evans & Tate Marlot. Their 98 & 99 are excellent.

I like the James Irvine Grand 1996 but the label comand a premium.
Purple Tongue

Craig(NZ).

Why bother??

Post by Craig(NZ). »

and im being serious here. really why bother with $80 aussie merlot? Are you insane?? Why not one of the fantastic Hawkes Bay merlots? Esk, Villa Reserve, CJ Pask Reserve for starters

Really there is no contest NZ does way way better merlots than aussie. The Hawkes Bay style fits merlot like the Barossa Style fits Shiraz.

Post by Guest »

I have a 98 Grand Merlot that i will open one day. Not sure how well it cellars?

Post by Guest »

Anyone tried the Gibson Reserve Merlot 2002? It's a blend of Barossa & Ad. Hills Merlot with 10% Barossa Cab. This is a (predominantly) Merlot I can really enjoy, full of character & beautiful structure, so do yourself a favour!

lantana

lantana

Post by lantana »

Gibson's sells for about $40 I think, less if you shop around! :D

lantana

Murray

Post by Murray »

The 2001 Petaluma Merlot is fantastic. It was the indent release but there is some around the place at present; around $45-50/btl.
Murray Almond

Jakob

Post by Jakob »

Great, interesting topic. I've had Australian Cabernet and blends to match the very best of Bordeaux, but am yet to try a Merlot that came close to a good Pomerol. On that note, Murray you live in the area, have you tried the Farr Rising Geelong Merlot?

Post by Guest »

Murray wrote:The 2001 Petaluma Merlot is fantastic. It was the indent release but there is some around the place at present; around $45-50/btl.

Where can you find this wine i have been waiting to get some?

Post by Guest »

Jakob wrote: but am yet to try a Merlot that came close to a good Pomerol.

Jakob what would be the top three Pomerol Merlots you like? I am yet to try one of these and would like some hints on goodies.

Cheers

Murray

Post by Murray »

Jakob wrote:Great, interesting topic. I've had Australian Cabernet and blends to match the very best of Bordeaux, but am yet to try a Merlot that came close to a good Pomerol. On that note, Murray you live in the area, have you tried the Farr Rising Geelong Merlot?

Sorry Jakob, I haven't seen the Farr Rising Merlot around the place is yet, but I'll see if I can check it out.
Murray Almond

Murray

Post by Murray »

Anonymous wrote:
Murray wrote:The 2001 Petaluma Merlot is fantastic. It was the indent release but there is some around the place at present; around $45-50/btl.

If you bought it on Indent, the Indent shipment was delivered last August from memory.

Some retailers also bought it for retail sale, Gavin doesn't have it listed, but may be able to source it.
Murray Almond

Jakob

Post by Jakob »

For a good source of info, much better than I'd be able to offer, have a rake through:

http://www.wine-journal.com/pomerol.html

That said, my own personal top three: 1982 Trotanoy...achingly beautiful, almost a perfect wine. A 1980-something Lafleur-Petrus and 1990 le Bon-Pasteur have been wonderful too, though not quite at the same level as the Trotanoy. I had a bunch of 'cheapie' Pomerols while in Europe recently, and at the $30 level, probably half were very good wines. The diffficulty is getting them in Australia! The lower price bracket wines are virtually impossible to find, and even then the 200% markups make them unattractive. Auctions are probably your best bet.

Murray, thanks for that :) Have been trying to find info after Halliday's 'right bank' comment in the 2005 guide!

Post by Guest »

I wasn't going to mention Gibson's merlot but since Lantana mentioned so I will say something. His merlot isn't bad but nowhere near La Testa. During Wine Australia last year, Rob Gibson came over to Classic McLaren Wines stand and he didn't say much but I could tell he was quite impressed with La Testa wines including merlot. :wink: And also, CP Lin (winemaker) from Mountford Vineyard, NZ said "La Testa Merlot was the most delicious and best merlot he has ever tried". This was also during Wine Australia last year.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Classic McLaren Wines 2001 La Testa merlot Very very delicious wine! You won't be dissapointed.

Give a Tony or Krys call on +61 8 83239551

How much per bottle is this wine?

Post by Guest »

Murray wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

If you bought it on Indent, the Indent shipment was delivered last August from memory.

Some retailers also bought it for retail sale, Gavin doesn't have it listed, but may be able to source it.

Out of curiousity what indent?

Chow Chow

Post by Chow Chow »

Pay in advance, taking delivery at a later date.

btw. Geoff Hardy K1 Merlot(Adelaide Hills) isnt too shabby.
Purple Tongue

Baby Chickpea

Post by Baby Chickpea »

Jakob wrote:For a good source of info, much better than I'd be able to offer, have a rake through:

http://www.wine-journal.com/pomerol.html

That said, my own personal top three: 1982 Trotanoy...achingly beautiful, almost a perfect wine. A 1980-something Lafleur-Petrus and 1990 le Bon-Pasteur have been wonderful too, though not quite at the same level as the Trotanoy.

Agree on the 82 Trot Jakob - one of my favourite wines of all time. Well describd but for me is impeccably balanced.
Danny

The voyage of discovery lies not in finding new landscapes but in having new eyes. We must never be afraid to go too far, for success lies just beyond - Marcel Proust

Post by Guest »

Kays 2002 Merlot, very good example of warm climate merlot. Serious value too

cranky

Post by cranky »

Here are my notes on Merlots from the Wine Appreciation classes I did last year.

I can highly recommend the Brown Bros Patricia 2002 from this lot.

Yering Station 2001 Yarra Valley $23 Bright opaque ruby, garnet rim. Rasberry and plum jam, spice, some smoky oak. Soft, full, Stewed plums with rasberry tones, dry leafy finish. 16.5.
Brookland Valley 2002 Show wine... reserve label? Margaret River $40+? Almost opaque dark, dark ruby with ruby/garnet rim. Earthy red capsicum with black fruit underneath. Soft approach to fairly strong tannins, silky feel, warm black fruits and cherries, some leafiness. Not complex, but well balanced. 17.
Chalice Bridge 2002 Margaret River $25? Almost opaque dark ruby/garnet. Cedar, blackcurrant, faintly cheesy, hints of rubber. Soft and full, silky tannin, red and black fruit, leafy, tobacco, cedar, dark chocolate. 18.
Fox Creek Reserve 2001 McLaren Vale $48 Opaque garnet, ruby/purple rim. Tight nose, cedar, pencil shavings, black olives. Soft approach, full, builds to astringent tannins and long very dry finish. Black tastes all over the palate... licorice, olives, assorted black fruits. Needs food and/or time to mellow (if it can!). 17-18.

Rosemount Orange 2002 Orange $24 Opaque dark garnet, garnet rim with violet hints. Herbs, cassis, sweet coconut oak. Blackcurrant, leafy, powdery tannins, a bit hollow, but long finish. 16.
Brown Bros. Patricia 2002 King Valley $46 Opaque, glass staining dark garnet, dark garnet rim. Closed to start, then beautiful dark chocolate, black cherry, rasberry, smoky oak. Soft, red fruits, pepper, coconut, subtle oak which becomes more pronounced at finish. Easy to drink! 18.

I have a 94 Petaluma which I may open soon, will post a note then.
However, one prize from auction is a 98 La Conseillante which I won't be posting a note on for a few years yet!