Wine carry case

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
graham

Wine carry case

Post by graham »

Three questions really.
What kind of carry bag do you use :?:
Where can I buy a decent one :!:
And lastly is there such a thing as a wine glass carry case. I'm not being a wanker but some of my mates drink out of jam jars :oops:
I'd like to introduce them to the wonderful perfume of a good wine but hesitate to throw my Reidel in a box to transport.

thanks
graham
Nothing is so effective in keeping one young and full of lust as a discriminating palate thoroughly satisfied at least once a day.

Muscat Mike

Post by Muscat Mike »

I use a nice leather 2 bottle bag. It was given to me so I am not aware of whence it came or price.
TORB made himself a glass carry case out of one of those aluminium "Photographer cases." Bought foam and cut out the glass shapes. Does the job very well. I would certainly not call him a wanker. Well, not much. :lol: :roll:
MM.

bacchaebabe

Post by bacchaebabe »

I admit to being a wine wanker and I have the riedel glass carrying case. Costs around $100 and is a nylon case appropriately padded and embroided with the riedel logo on the outside and will take two shiraz and two chardonnay glasses. in other words, two large and two small or four small easily. Can get it at Peters of kensigton and victoria's basement if in sydney. I assume anywhere that sells riedels could get the case in if you ask nicely.

I also have a couple of the leather cases and a few insulated freebies from Moet and Veuve and a quite fabulous gift from Celia (PNCB - hasn't posted fro a while though) made of heavy duty polar fleece. I also have a falling apart decor two bottle carrier. Depends where I'm gonig and whether I'm taking white or red as to what I use.
Cheers,
Kris

There's a fine wine between pleasure and pain
(Stolen from the graffiti in the ladies loos at Pegasus Bay winery)

Post by 707 »

Graham, I went to a new (for me) Thai restaurant on Saturday night and we took our own giant XL5s which I put in one of those padded two bottle bags. Reidels would need something better of course.

There's nothing more off putting than crap glassware so I always take precautions. Good job I did Sat night, turned out I was correct, thick globes were the house glasses.
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Graham,

Here is a link to a relevant article on torbwine, with pictures, Ric's in SA finding me some more must-have reds, so I'll post the link for him. :-)

http://www.torbwine.com/rr/Moving%20Aro ... lasses.htm

He keeps promising to find me the right sort of camera case to make a glass carrier like his, but it hasn't happened yet. On Fri night for our wine-group dinner I just took a 6-pack of the Esse/Vue cheapies (Riedel Cabernet look-alikes) in the original cardboard box, sometimes I take two Riedel Shiraz glasses in the old Rosemount Riedel/Shiraz gift packs, I bought a few of those years ago.

For bottles, I have a range of carriers, from a hemp two-pack, insulated packs for sparkling wines, wet-suit material two-pack and a leather Oakvale two-pack for fancier occasions, cost around $80+ for the leather one though. For wine dinners where I'm doing most of the wine I just lug a couple of 6-pack boxes or a dozen carton, the restaurants we go to are used to this by now.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Graham

As Kris mentioned, the Riedel bag is good. I would never get the energy to make a case, and I figure the money makes it worth it over time - easier and safer to carry than boxes and I have not broken any since I bought one.

regards
Chris

graham

Post by graham »

Thanks for all the feedback......I'll try to track down the Reidel carry case, sound perfect for my needs. If anyone knows where they are sold at please drop me a line. I tried Peters of Kensington but couldn't see them.
Nothing is so effective in keeping one young and full of lust as a discriminating palate thoroughly satisfied at least once a day.

Post by Guest »

Graham,
try David Jones. They did have a Riedel carry bag + 2 glasses for $177. Not sure if still available.
MM.

Baby Chickpea

Post by Baby Chickpea »

I use a twin bottle leather bullhide leather bag with zipper made in Italy and insulated padding to maintain coolness and temperature. Retails at DJs for $117, Peters of kensington for $80, and in el cheapo handbag stores for $50 in Wynyard Arcade. If you want to go all out you can get a sleek looking and hand stiched Louis Vuitton bottle bag for $3,000 (!!!).
Danny

The voyage of discovery lies not in finding new landscapes but in having new eyes. We must never be afraid to go too far, for success lies just beyond - Marcel Proust