Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
kaos

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by kaos »

Bass Phillip Estate Pint Noir 2016. First bottle I've had of the Estate. I tend to prefer my pinot more at the more masculine end of the spectrum, with black fruits but this is really engaging and harmonious in a very feminine way... Started the bottle last night and will finish it tonight with some stir-fried pork loin with five spice. I have another bottle so will wait a couple of years to see where it goes...

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

I haven’t had a Chardonnay this old before…. Great colour on it. It’s definitely tertiary. Stone fruit, bit of zest, wood shop, saw dust. It’s an interesting wine.

Cheers Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

tokyowantsmny002 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 12:55 am Wow, your description of the Yelland and Papps Sete di Vino sounds absolutely delightful! It’s like you're painting a perfect evening with words—lush, smooth, and so incredibly inviting. I love that you’re savoring a wine that’s both elegant and approachable; it seems like it’s really hitting the spot for you!

As for me, I’m enjoying a bit of cozy downtime right now, maybe with a nice cup of tea or some quiet music in the background. Nothing quite like unwinding and indulging in the simple pleasures of the moment.

And speaking of simple pleasures, whether you’re planning a birthday party, a corporate event, or just a casual gathering, Mr Whippy(https://mrwhippy.com.au) ice cream van hire brings the joy of freshly served, creamy ice cream directly to you. Experience the nostalgia and happiness that only Mr Whippy can bring, making your special occasions even sweeter and more unforgettable.
Umm :o :(
Chat GPT, spam bot...goodbye!
Tomorrow will be a good day

kenzo

Post by kenzo »

VinoEd wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:01 pm I haven’t had a Chardonnay this old before…. Great colour on it. It’s definitely tertiary. Stone fruit, bit of zest, wood shop, saw dust. It’s an interesting wine.

Cheers Ed
VinoEd: I opened a 95 Yattarna (the first vintage) in December 2022. Similar lurid colour, and still very drinkable given good storage conditions (Penfolds list it as "past"). I'm sure they've evolved the style since those first few years, but to sample the inaugural release was an interesting wine experience for sure - definitely some wood influence detectable despite the age.

Not sure if anyone else on here remembers the mad scramble to buy some of the first "white Grange" lol.
Last edited by kenzo on Mon Sep 09, 2024 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Yes certainly remember white Grange fever.
The colour is very similar to a 20+ year Riesling.
Pennies did have a couple of trial Bin Rieslings released around the same time, but I never purchased any.

Cheers Craig

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Tonight from the last shipment last year of our stash stored at The Tunnel in Adelaide a St Hugo 2012 Private Collection Rowlands Flat Shiraz. Wonderful fruit reflecting a great vintage. They must have cut down a forest for this but the fruit was up to the job. Plum, blackberry, spice and everything Barossa. Perfect balance. JH panned it in 2017 saying not sure if it would come together (re oak) but it has. Went down a treat with a 700gm 1.75 inch cattleman's cutlet (for 2) cooked via reverse sear rare to medium rate with buttery mashed potato and super fresh first of season lightly steam asparagus. Bearnaise sauce over the lot. A real Saturday night treat.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

97CDC10F-930E-4612-B119-F3929937031E.jpeg
Another get together in Melbourne. This time the theme was Italy excluding Piiadmont, which we stuck to for the reds.

The highlight should have been the 06’Bondi Santi, but it was out of sorts and the replacement ‘10 was in better condition, but too young to shine.

For me the star of the day, by a long way, was the ‘20 Grand Cuvee from Inama Azienda. It’s a stunning white, with minerality, acidity and a core of butter and smoked pinapple. Best white I have had in ages.

The 2018 Gaja Sauv Blanc may well be a better wine in time, but is too young. The fruit is in the process of swallowing the oak and it needs a few years for the minarality to come through.

I’ll let others describe the reds and the fantastic desert flight, but overall it was another brilliant afternoon at the Pacific Seafood Restaurant in Richmond. We ate and drank like Grand Dukes and paid pauper prices.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

A wine dinner held in August - theme was Pinot from NZ vs USA
All wines served blind

Wine # 1(Starter) – NV Philippe Glavier ‘La Grace D’Alphael’ Drand Cru Champagne
Nice bright straw/hay colour in the glass. The nose has a big hit of chalky mineral notes, stone fruit and some white florals. Palate has quite a bit of lemon fruits with a lemon rind character as well. Lovely soft bubbles, great acidity. Little to no oak gives a leaner feel to the wine, but those GC fruits are powerful in a non-intervention way. Winemaker let the fruit do what it does. Great length, more talc and chalk dryness/texture at the end. Good wine

Wine # 2 – 2017 Littorai ‘Cerise Vineyard’ Anderson Valley (California) USA
Mushroom nose, quite Burgundian in its approach, gorgeous nose with complex earth/forest floor things, umami and red fruits (on the darker cherry side) – Can smell this all day and not get bored. Could be a 1er or better burg on the nose alone.
In the mouth strawberry compote, but savoury. Soft tannin, a mix between dusty tannin and furry. Minimal oak adds to the mouthfeel without adding more woody note to the wine itself. Great winemaking here, more mushroom and damp earth. New word acid probably needs to integrate slightly, which will happen with a bit more bottle age. Cellar confidently as this is a great wine.

Wine # 3 – 2016 Bell Hill ‘Old Weka Pass Road’ North Canterbury – NZ
Bright Red colour, a touch blurry though which could indicate it hasnt been fined or filtered, still a lovely happy strawberry red. Nose has quite a bit of whole bunch in there, some stalky notes as well, but not green. Some nice red lifted fruits coming up, however they are dominated by those whole bunch characters.
On the palate you can clearly tell this is a young wine, however screwcap has fooled me into thinking its 2 – 3 years old its that fresh and young rather than the 8 years it actually is. Dominating and unbalanced acid at this point in time, length is a bit short as well which I would not expect given the price point (and rarity) of the wine. Nice young strawberry fruit, tart cranberries, red cherry but again I cant get past that acid. Give it another 5 years before you open the next one – IF you can find it as only 1,897 bottles produced – tiny production run.

Wine # 4 – 2018 Copain ‘Tous Ensemble’ Sonoma Coast (California) USA

Nice dark red colour – rhubarb red. Nose has some VA on it that is spoiling the party somewhat – lets hope it blows off. Some earthy notes on the nose, beetroot in particular. Dark mineral coal/charcoal there too – kind of graphite like. Rhubarb notes but some alcohol warmth (or is that still the VA?)
This is a weird one, on the palate there is some warm/rich fruit but its not in a ripe style. So while the fruit profile is warm, the fruit is not overripe. Nicely judged harvest – no greenness or anything which is great, but that acid is prominent. Dominating and overpowering, like the previous wine this needs time. There is something im not enjoying about this wine, cant put my finger on it. Its not faulty but its jutting out. Oak maybe – VA still ? Not sure but its just not working for me.

Wine # 5 – 2017 Peay ‘Scallop Shelf’ Sonoma Coast (California) USA

Darker in colour than the other wines presented. Looks like oak colour – black cherry. Lots of charcoal and coal notes coming off the glass, to me that’s Central Otago type note (lol wrong).
Rich and riper style fruit, again warmer fruit but this time it is ripe. Blue fruits and some plummy notes as well, new oak – over oaked but again its young and needs time. Nice length but not my style of Pinot. Still for those that do like a richer / darker style of Pinot fruit with new oak, you will love this.

Wine # 6 – 2012 Felton Road ‘Block 5’ Central Otago NZ
Young colour, but slightly darker in the glass, a mix of red rhubarb and black cherry type colour. Very young nose, you can smell the acid in it (what is it with me and acid today!) – surely this must me a ‘me’ issue with so much acidity im getting on most of these wines. Lovely minerals on the palate, front of the tongue and cheeks – charcoal and coal again (again im in central otago – but I was wrong last time, so who knows). Nice fruit, again dark cherry and blueberry spectrum and style of fruit, some bay leaf which is interesting… and here comes that acid again. Ruins the balance and is distracting me. I have had better block 5’s.

Wine # 7 – 2020 Rippon ‘Emma’s Block’ Lake Wanaka Central Otago NZ

Nice colour, dark cherry red, some slight blurring which again im leading to unfiltered and unfined.
There is some real fruit intensity leaping out of the glass, powerful fruits that make you sit up and take note. Red rose petals, strawberries, redcurrants and some spice. Herbal as well as some more of those dark minerals / graphite.
On the palate this is painfully young, it’s a really nice wine, but geeze its young. High acid again, perfectly ripe fruit – this was picked at exactly the right time, low oak and all those really bright red/dark red fruits you got on the nose, but wow its young. I love this wine, put it down for 8-10 years as it will be a superstar. I guessed Central otago – so that was right this time

Wine # 8 – 2019 Nicholas Jay ‘L’Ensemble’ Willamette Valley Oregon USA
Another young wine just looking at that colour. Bright, shiny and full of life. Clear and translucent has a new season red cherry vibe to the colour. Nose is again painfully young, but interestingly there is pomegranate in there – first one of the night for me with that note. Adds some lovely contrast and differentiation to the night – very interesting to see where this is from – im guessing nowhere we have been this evening. In the mouth still more pomegranate, cranberry tartness with young red rhubarb acidity. Very tannic, lovely mouth coating Gravelly tannin – burg type tannin which just adds more complexity. There is a dried roses / pot-pourri aspect to this wine – it’s a wonderful and welcome addition but adds confusion for me. Where is this from?!? It feels like NZ type fruit but those tannins are not NZ and confuses me. I choose wrong and its my very first Oregon wine I believe. Great experience – cellar for 6-10 years – will be exceptional when that acid integrates.

Wine # 9 – 2019 Burn Cottage ‘Burn Cottage Vineyard’ Central Otago NZ
Deep and dark black cherry colour – serious colour here that is different again to all the others. Not blurry, its clear but very dark. Hot nose though, heat from the alcohol is lifting off the glass masking the nose somewhat – but those fruits are managing to fight their way through. Dark fruits, blue/purple to black cherry. Some lavender/purple florals and charcoal / black mineral.
Fruit in the mouth is soft, round and gentle. Its not powerful fruit but it is elegant. Its missing tannin as its quite a low tannin/ high fruit style but again dominating acid that is making it harder to drink with that hot alcohol still there.
Central Otago again but unbalanced as this stage of life. Again just too young and needs time to come together, fill out and hopefully integrate. I question if that alcohol / heat will ever dissipate.

Wine # 9.1 – 2016 Mount Eden Vineyards Santa Cruz Mountains – California USA
Faulty – Feels like a winemaking bacterial issue (vegetal as well)

Wine #9.2 (Backup) – 2019 Mount Eden Vineyards Santa Cruz Mountains – California USA
This is a different beast all together. Nice colour of bright, young strawberry red leading to a clear/white rim. Looks young, however there are some really fresh red fruits coming out. More strawberries and red currents, a hint of red rope liquorice as well. It’s a soft rounded style as well, gentle on the palate. Low tannin but its there (just) and very well balanced acid (finally). I feel this is a young drinking wine for a couple of reasons. Its drinking really well now, and I cant see the structure here for long term ageing. This would be a great wine to drink while the Littorai matures. Really enjoyed the freshness of the fruit, vibrancy and drinkability of this wine.

Wine # 10 (Finisher) – 1968 Hardy’s Vintage Port

Clear brown with some red tinges at the edges. Looks very old, kind of tawny in colour. New motor oil (brown) if that makes sense, still has a shine to it. On the nose there is a boot polish note, some rubber and used coffee grinds but still some black fruits in there (hiding, but they are there) of Blackberry and blackcurrant.
Unfortunately that’s where the fun ended. This was well past it, fruit was dead and non existent, with a lot of spirit sticking out. Some thought it faulty but I didn’t, I just thought it was very very old and well past its prime (I thought mid 50’s). Not to worry, great piece of Australian History.

Great evening

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

2010 Noon Shiraz, very good wine, opened with a bit of a sweet note, a little porty to begin with perhaps, but thought it handled the 14.7% with ease. As it opened up it really shone...plush, full bodied and a great finish. Will have a look at another soon.
2013 Gomersal Reserve Shiraz, actually can't remember buying this, IIRC was from one of the many excellent deals in days gone by from Libby and Barry at the CD, about $15 a bottle. A real surprise, still quite primary, inky black, masses of fruit, strong finish. Great VFM for a very nice example of a BV Shiraz.
Cheers Craig

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

phillisc wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:14 am 2010 Noon Shiraz, very good wine, opened with a bit of a sweet note, a little porty to begin with perhaps, but thought it handled the 14.7% with ease. As it opened up it really shone...plush, full bodied and a great finish. Will have a look at another soon.
2013 Gomersal Reserve Shiraz, actually can't remember buying this, IIRC was from one of the many excellent deals in days gone by from Libby and Barry at the CD, about $15 a bottle. A real surprise, still quite primary, inky black, masses of fruit, strong finish. Great VFM for a very nice example of a BV Shiraz.
Cheers Craig
It's Gabby (Barry's wife), not Libby.

But you are right, lots of the Gomersal Shiraz are really good and age really well.

Cheers
Ian
Last edited by ticklenow1 on Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

VinoEd wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:01 pm I haven’t had a Chardonnay this old before…. Great colour on it. It’s definitely tertiary. Stone fruit, bit of zest, wood shop, saw dust. It’s an interesting wine.

Cheers Ed
We had the '96 Yattarna last year at Entocca Boccacio and it was simply stunning. When we first opened it, we thought it was stuffed. But 30 minutes after opening, it was amazing. Being under cork it's a bit of a lottery, but without doubt the best wine I had last year. Totally blew away '96 Leeuwin Estate Art Series. Have 1 bottle left of the '96 Yattarna which will be opened at Entocca Boccacio next month. Can't wait. I have invested in a few different vintages of Yattarna this year and being under screwcap they won't be opened for many years. Such an under rated (definitely not under priced) Chardonnay.

Chers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

ticklenow1 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:02 pm
phillisc wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:14 am 2010 Noon Shiraz, very good wine, opened with a bit of a sweet note, a little porty to begin with perhaps, but thought it handled the 14.7% with ease. As it opened up it really shone...plush, full bodied and a great finish. Will have a look at another soon.
Cheers Craig
It's Gabby (Barry's wife), not Libby.

But you are right, lots of the Gomersal Shiraz are really good and age really well.

Cheers
Ian
Oops :oops:
Cheers Craig

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Tonight a modest wine 2021 Rivera Fiano Scariazzo Puglia IGT (Fiano the grape, more commonly associated with Campania), bought recently, and this was a single bottle as part of trying a few other wines from their stable (prior to this order, I'd drunk plenty of the Il Falcone, 2-3 bottles of the cappellaccio many years ago - I think that was how I first encountered them, and a more prestige but perhaps overworked 2007 Puer Apuliae of which I have a single bottle left).

Fairly youthful and bright straw colour, and subtle nose with faint lemon / grassiness with a merest hint of honey.

A little richer on the palate than expected, including a touch of butter, albeit with easily sufficient acidity. Not especially complex, but no faulting the balance. Good value at the price, but don't expect fireworks.