2024 Wendouree Mailer

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
mychurch

Re: 2024 Wendouree Mailer

Post by mychurch »

Phoned up today to see what has happened to my order, which they received on 17 July. Fair enough that they had put it onto the ‘on hold’ pile as we were 3 and a half weeks in Europe, and it was moved onto the process pile today - first day back

All the single varietals have gone and it appearsI will get a max of 12 bottles, which is probably good for the back account and the storage room. They said they were on holiday as well, which is why those waiting should not give up
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

crusty2

Post by crusty2 »

My order is on the way, Clare to Adelaide - via Sydney
Drink the wine, not the label.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

crusty2 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 1:41 pm My order is on the way, Clare to Adelaide - via Sydney
There's probably logic in that routing, but I'm struggling to see it :lol: At least it's not shipping in summer.

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Chatting to a Clare restaurateur whose cellar near mine in Kennards, definitely an allocation now for Clare businesses as well as local pickers, with high take up ans forwarding their allocations. When he saw my Great Wall of Wendouree, he offered to buy. Not a seller. 24b has formed a new section of the wall. I don’t open them for 20 and I trust I’ll still be around-if not someone will enjoy them.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

24b at this months MW auction, unlike local auction house setting a price, MW have started at a conservative estimate of $160, with an opening bid of $165, letting punters take it where the market sees it. Likely though that reserve and the subsequent repeat auto bids will set it at double that.

Local inner southern surburbs pub has the other six wines on offer, from $140 for the straight Malbec up to $250 for the shiraz.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

JamieAdelaide wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:50 am Chatting to a Clare restaurateur whose cellar near mine in Kennards, definitely an allocation now for Clare businesses as well as local pickers, with high take up ans forwarding their allocations. When he saw my Great Wall of Wendouree, he offered to buy. Not a seller. 24b has formed a new section of the wall. I don’t open them for 20 and I trust I’ll still be around-if not someone will enjoy them.
Just about every man and his dog gets some form of allocation in the valley, including most winery GMs, winemakers/cellar hands, wine marketers etc. all getting on board. There was a cage of orders just for locals to pick up when I was there. I know lots of people who order just a mixed 6er each year for personal enjoyment.

I've had a number of older bottles from people who have picked grapes during their uni years over the years. My kids are not interested in hand picking :(

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

I don’t believe the local allocations has always been the case? Grape pickers yes. Every restaurant I visited in the Clare had Wendouree on its list

darellk

Post by darellk »

CC finally got hit today for my little mixed 6 order, first time for me so pretty stoked.

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

JamieAdelaide wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 11:00 am I don’t believe the local allocations has always been the case?
Clearly there are, and yes, its been happening for a long time. Great to see visitors to region getting access to the wines.

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Out of interest, how is it clearly so?

I think an icon local wine, being available to local restaurants is a great thing. Robert O’Callaghan steadfastly supported the Barossa in a similar to more expanded fashion.

Locals flipping- as admitted to me by a local business restaurateur- yeah/nah!

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

I don't think restauranteurs and locals have anywhere near the sentiment of long term (35 year) collectors such as others and myself. Access to wines, including Wendouree would be par for the course. Guess those in business are not immune to cost of living pressures, so flip a few bottles for a quid.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

I recall being very excited moving my cellar from Melbourne to Adelaide about 25 years ago, as my Adelaide cellar address would get faster processing times and what many thought was a “local priority“. It was great for a few years then all of a sudden, one vintage, NSW seemed to get their orders processed before us SA legends. Now we have a wonderful and unpredictable chaos, making the annual Wendouree thread a number of pages longer.

Incidentally, I’ve two old Wendourees on my tasting bench. The effort to prepare them and see their best delivery, has seen the wines bypassed all week. Definitely draw the corks this week.

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

We opened a 2022 Malbec last night as a treat watching the footy with a porterhouse steak and chips.

Beautifully perfumed, elegant, refined and 'fine boned'. Medium bodied at best, fruit forward, well judged oak. Lots to like, nice balanced wine, a bit of acidity and nice lingering/softish tannins. A slight sour Cherry note on the finish.

Happily drink in its youth, plus put it away in the cellar.

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

I’m struggling to transition from someone who drinks their Wendouree mature to someone who also drinks them young. My 20 year rule still in play and had my first 2001 Cabernet Malbec last night. Usual routine. Decanted into a small decanter and after about 30 min a bouquet emerged. Re-poured back into the spring water bottle for later serving. Excellent wine. Intense though open aromatics of dark violets, lavender and iodine. The wine has a good run on the palate with an evenness prior a bit of austerity and completes with slightly chewy tannin. 94pts ;-)

darellk

Post by darellk »

JamieAdelaide wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 10:17 am I’m struggling to transition from someone who drinks their Wendouree mature to someone who also drinks them young. My 20 year rule still in play and had my first 2001 Cabernet Malbec last night. Usual routine. Decanted into a small decanter and after about 30 min a bouquet emerged. Re-poured back into the spring water bottle for later serving. Excellent wine. Intense though open aromatics of dark violets, lavender and iodine. The wine has a good run on the palate with an evenness prior a bit of austerity and completes with slightly chewy tannin. 94pts ;-)
Being a beginner in the Wendouree world, my 81 year old father-in-law who is responsible for my later in life interest in red wine says he isn't waiting 20 years to try this wine I have been "rattling on about for the last 4 years!!" So I will have to open a 2022 when my small purchase arrives, and am keen to learn about the best way to prepare - aerate and decant, or just decant and wait a few hours?

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Hope it goes well! I’ve no idea to be honest. The last time I drank young Wendouree they were 98’s and did nothing in the decanter for two days!

I’ll hand over to those on here who drink them young and have opinions and techniques for younger Wendouree.

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

A lot of wines that need to be aged are quite open when they are first bottled and then shutdown. Once the Wendouree arrives, pick a bottle and leave it standing for a few days to get over the travel shock and then open . If it’s difficult to drink, put the cap on and try again either later the same day or the next. Repeat until you have a wine you like.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

darellk

Post by darellk »

mychurch wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 2:30 pm A lot of wines that need to be aged are quite open when they are first bottled and then shutdown. Once the Wendouree arrives, pick a bottle and leave it standing for a few days to get over the travel shock and then open . If it’s difficult to drink, put the cap on and try again either later the same day or the next. Repeat until you have a wine you like.
Cheers

Alan Foo

Post by Alan Foo »

Yes, finally after a long wait, got hit on Sunday. Green stripe. Vic. One of everything except the 24B shiraz.
Thank you.

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

darellk wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 11:00 am Being a beginner in the Wendouree world, my 81 year old father-in-law who is responsible for my later in life interest in red wine says he isn't waiting 20 years to try this wine I have been "rattling on about for the last 4 years!!" So I will have to open a 2022 when my small purchase arrives, and am keen to learn about the best way to prepare - aerate and decant, or just decant and wait a few hours?
I typically pour half a bottle into an old skool wine carafe, give it a few vigorous 'whirls', decant back to bottle then repeat. Then give it a few hours in the decanter, and then just taste at intervals, have a glass over dinner etc. Then I come back to the other half bottle over the next day/night, doing the same.

I have no qualms opening wines young, particularly Wendouree, really to get a sense of the vintage and likely aging, I actually like to see an expression of the wines at an early age. I get to taste a lot of wines around blending time, hence have a bit of 'cellar palate'. But its a case of each to their own.

darellk

Post by darellk »

Matt@5453 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 5:47 pm
darellk wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 11:00 am Being a beginner in the Wendouree world, my 81 year old father-in-law who is responsible for my later in life interest in red wine says he isn't waiting 20 years to try this wine I have been "rattling on about for the last 4 years!!" So I will have to open a 2022 when my small purchase arrives, and am keen to learn about the best way to prepare - aerate and decant, or just decant and wait a few hours?
I typically pour half a bottle into an old skool wine carafe, give it a few vigorous 'whirls', decant back to bottle then repeat. Then give it a few hours in the decanter, and then just taste at intervals, have a glass over dinner etc. Then I come back to the other half bottle over the next day/night, doing the same.

I have no qualms opening wines young, particularly Wendouree, really to get a sense of the vintage and likely aging, I actually like to see an expression of the wines at an early age. I get to taste a lot of wines around blending time, hence have a bit of 'cellar palate'. But its a case of each to their own.
Great, will give that approach a try.