Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
phillisc

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by phillisc »

WAwineguy wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:07 pm
phillisc wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:38 pm 2014 Yalumba Signature. Classic old school Barossa. Lovely wine great aroma and mouth feel. Fabulous drinking, with another 10 to go.
Cheers Craig
Ah one of my favourite Aussie wines! Lovely claret!
Yes have the 06, 10, 12, 14, 16 and 18 vintages...For some reason they were being systematically cleared by BWS, and most came in at $24-28 a bottle...what I would call a bargain. Similarly with 2010/12/16/18 Menzies. second hand market prices look friendly too :wink:
Have my eye on the 2019 vintage and will bow out with the 21. Everyone talks about Grange, HoG, PL Stonewall being released with 5 years age on them, but Yalumba have been doing this for eons, Menzies/Signature/Caley/Octavious, all 5 years or older on release.

Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

We had a Signature '98 last month. It was absolutely fantastic. Opened my eyes, once again, as to how good Aussie Cab Shiraz (with a touch of age on it) can be. Wish I had more.

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

I’m far from a Barolo expert, in fact this might be the fourth time I’ve drank it, and at least two of the other times were random bottles pulled out at the end of a night by someone else where my memory is not the best…

Anyway, I’m sure this is nowhere near the best of it (and pales in comparison to the Barolo those here who drink it drink), but I really enjoyed it. For my simple way of looking at it, it’s almost a Pinot crossed with a Cabernet. Light cherry red colour, some red fruits, earth and mineral, but tannic to the extreme, long and mouth coating. I really enjoyed it.

Cheers Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

There are certainly lots of very good bottles of Barolo beyond the prestigious names. I don't think I've tried Germano's wines, but I do like Schiavenza's wines from the same vineyard. 2016 a very well regarded vintage.

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

Thanks Ian. It’s certainly opened my eyes. Just what I needed…. Something else to seek out!

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjs

Post by mjs »

2012 Mildara Coonawarra Cabernet

Almost son of "Peppermint Pattie", noticeable mint, cassis, blackberry, some cedar, soft-ish mouthfeel, gives the impression of some years to go yet, nice drop. An auction win from a week or so ago, bargain at sub $20. I have some more in the cellar
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

My notes for an evening held mid last month

The theme was Pinot from Gippsland vs Geelong vs Macedon (Regions)

Wine # 1 (Starting White) – 2022 Patrick Sullivan Ada River Chardonnay
Bright yellowish core, touch of green leading to a clear rim. Looks very young, almost a barrel sample.
Current release? Lots going on here, winemaker influence is clear. Leesy, Malo nose, spicy oak – lots of oak and very expensive stuff at that, just smells expensive.
Nice mouth feel, heavy & rich with a texture that could be overpowering, yet that acid is perfectly judged and holds it all together. This is a big wine, oak dominating at this young stage and the fruit sitting in the background. Lacks a touch of fruit power, im wondering if these are young vines as they are just not up to the task at the moment. In the lemon/citrus fruit spectrum, touch of young yellow peach, cinnamon, and just a hint of white pepper/spice. Yeasty/bready notes, good length round off what is a lovely wine. Needs time and hopefully that fruit can rise up against the oak.

Wine # 2 – 2013 William Downie Gippsland
Blurry and brick red, not fined or filtered at all, tertiary red in colour. Lots of whole bunch on the nose, just the pungent aroma you get from everything being chucked in the ferment. Stalks, leaves, the whole shebang. This is twiggy, spicy and a big whack of strawberry compote, sweet fruits on the nose. Palate is silky, soft and has this delicateness about it; but its also edgy. It walks the tightrope of greatness and faulty. I know it sounds weird, but it’s a difficult wine to judge, some think it’s a touch green/stalky, some love it. Polarising among the group. Im the only one who picked Gippsland…… the rest picked Geelong believing it to be a ByFarr Its not, but it is that style or trying to be a ByFarr – I thought it Phillipa Farr, but I was wrong.
Bacon fat, wet autumn leaves just starting to decay and some mulchy earth. Good complexity and length. I like it as its different and interesting. Not a "by the numbers" pinot and not for everyone, and it’s a Bill Downie – which now makes sense.

Wine # 3 – 2023 Onannon – Mornington
Very clear, very bright red, pink rim….. love a good pink... *cough*... moving on
Sulphur nose, reductive too, cherry and new season strawberry… just ripe fruit. There is a lot of acid here, it’s a thin wine; not generous. Feels high altitude fruit/vineyard. Im wondering if its Macedon?
Feels like an upper yarra though which it cant be given the theme.
Cranberry tartness, rhubarb acid and some grainy tannin. Its well made, its clean with good fruit….. I just need a bit more of everything. More tannin/structure and some more fruit.
Presenter pulled the wrong one out of the cellar, so this is a bit of a trick wine… an imposter if you will HOWEVER had no Mornington characters, and would have been my last choice even if it was an option. Just didn’t taste like a Mornington.

Wine # 4.1 – Left Glass – 2004 Bindi Block 5
Colour is dark red, some browning, looks old…. Very old. Nose is old too, leather and oak with a bit of that secondary cigar box oak. Cannot identify the grape variety has no pinosity whatsoever. Dead fruit or I should say non existent. This is all secondary characters, old and just nothing there for me.
I think its past it, others disagree. Tipped out

Wine # 4.2 – Right Glass – 2004 Bindi Original Vineyard
Similar colour to the right glass, brick red and brown.
More acid on the nose this time, less oak and this time there is some herbal characters. Nettles, wild fennel leaf and some tar as well. However that’s where it all ends… nothing on the palate but acid and dead fruit. Well past it, tipped out. Not my style and again others may have thought differently.

Wine # 5 – 2022 Cobaw Ridge ‘High Density’
Clear and Translucent red, bright shiny red too – this is a proper pinot colour, a kind that just make you smile and happy. Huge nose, leaps out of the glass, lots of complexity – Red & Black liquorice, cherry cola, dr pepper, herbs and lots of florals; especially lavender. This is a delicious wine and one of those you can smell all day.
More cherry fruit, perfect acidity – cranberry tartness as well. Generous fruit, high quality vineyard here, love the fruit profile, its not messed with – experience of the vineyard manager and winemaker evident. Astonishing length, lots of Australian herbs, wattle especially and rosemary.
Great wine, will live another 10 easily. Easy buy recommendation

Wine # 6 – 2021 By Farr Tout Pres
Deep dark red, clear and clean nose. Whole bunch nose, but not like the downie.
Lots of slatey wet mineral stones some green capsicum, green stems as well. A good nose and although it sounds like it, its not a green wine. It doesn’t smell underripe which is a relief.
In the mouth there is an abundance of sweet red fruits, red roses, rosewater. Mulchy wet earth, very well handled oak…. The balance is perfectly judged even though its young. Needs time to fill out but this is already approachable and drinking well. Nice complexity from those stems, stalks and whole bunch – decayed leaves again. High quality wine, easy buy.

Wine # 7 – 2016 By Farr Sangreal
Unfined and unfiltered, blurry yet with a nice, still young colour. Deep red, dark cherry colour.
Whole bunch stalks again on the nose, another ByFarr surely different to the first I pick it as sangreal.
Doesn’t have that wet slate minerality of the previous wine, still some whole bunch nose, stalks and that typical ByFarr signature, yet very different.
In the mouth the acid is still quite prominent, indicates it’s a younger wine, red rose florals, dark, wet earth with that alpine forest floor notes great pinot has. Dried Mushroom and umami the length is excellent. Stalky again from those whole bunch, not overpowering and that red cherry and redcurrant fruit is sublime. Really enjoyed this wine. Easy buy.

Wine # 8 – 2021 Bass Phillip ‘Old Vines’ Estate
Clean, clear and very bright red. Colour just pops out of the glass. Love this colour.
Nose has some nice red fruited notes, although it’s a young nose, its quickly dominated by acid… you know when you smell acid, there is a high chance it will taste acidic.
In the mouth I wasn’t ready for the astringency, it hits you quite hard, bit of a shock really as I wasn’t ready for it. Astringent fruit, not green but maybe a tad underripe, it’s a simple wine, one dimensional and very, very young. Too young actually and the wine hasn’t even had a chance to come together yet. Young red cherry, cranberry acidity and rhubarb. No minerals or stone type notes, no mushrooms or earth – stays one dimensional. Its ok, lacks that X factor – will time be kind? I have no idea.

Wine # 9 – 2013 By Farr Sangreal
Darker red, leading to almost a plum colour. Blurry but not bricky. This has one of the best noses of the night, super complex, stalk, whole bunch, pine forest floor, mushroom and florals, purple rosemary florals in particular – Burgundy nose. But that’s where all the fun ends. I think this was TCA affected, palate a complete letdown. Spiky acid and pokey…. Fruit is lacking just NQR. Which is a shame, of course its my wine. Weird part is i had tasted it at home before leaving for the event. Seemed fine but fell over in-between. Anyhoo onto the back up.

Wine # 10 (Backup) – 2021 By Farr Cote Vineyard
This was a pop and pour due to being a back up. I was hoping to keep this for a number of years, but that’s wine and corks for you!
Dark ruby red in colour, crystal clear and no blurring. Nose is all fruits, don’t get a lot of whole bunch on the nose which is interesting given the producer. Doesn’t have the signature stalky character, and I can only assume this is done on purpose to try and diversify their style a bit with this offering.
Didn’t take many notes due to it just being too young. Acid but not overpowering, nice strawberry and cherry fruit, beautifully handled oak. Needs time. This is their equal top wine of the winery sitting along side tout pres. Hold for 5 to see where its at, but most likely longer.

Wine # 11 (Finisher) – 1981 Taminick Cellars Vintage Port
Lovely colour, some blue/tar type colours there, tinge of khaki and green olive rim.
Nose is pure blue fruits, lots of blueberry, plums with some slight bitumen /tar and coffee notes as well. Very similar to the 1980 we have had in the past.Spirit is perfectly balanced and integrated, absolutely no heat alcohol to be seen. This has a Pure clean spirit, which can be a difficult thing achieve.
Some nice spice here. Cardamon, coffee grinds, dried orange rind and some other Indian sweet spices. This has some treacle / molasses notes as well, burnt toffee and a thick viscosity… a little like motor oil. I pick Rutherglen this time though, I have been fooled before into thinking its McLaren Vale…. Late 80’s to early 90’s is my guess. Great to see this is over 40 years old and still going strong, I was about 10 years off. Drinking beautifully now, silky, soft and luscious – yes please.

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Always enjoyed old Bindi. Palate preferences by the looks.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

WDC Yellow Hammerhill Shiraz Malbec 2022.
This is superb, like a silky cuddly blanket generous fruit, great depth, Malbec really brings everything together, and the 5% Cabernet gives a nice freshness. Long palate, finest tannins, super smooth and carries the 15.2% easily.
A definite nod to Tony Brady... cracker of a wine from what I think will be a very good vintage.
Cheers Craig

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

Looking forward to trying one of those WDC wines when my order arrives Craig. It’s fantastic drinking at $25 a bottle.

Cheers Ed

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

JamieAdelaide wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:13 am Always enjoyed old Bindi. Palate preferences by the looks.
Quite possibly right. Some enjoyed them, others tipped out. Was a bit of a divisive bracket

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

phillisc wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:48 pm WDC Yellow Hammerhill Shiraz Malbec 2022.
This is superb, like a silky cuddly blanket generous fruit, great depth, Malbec really brings everything together, and the 5% Cabernet gives a nice freshness. Long palate, finest tannins, super smooth and carries the 15.2% easily.
A definite nod to Tony Brady... cracker of a wine from what I think will be a very good vintage.
Cheers Craig
That's some big alc % but very happy to hear it's not a hot wine. Have enjoyed past HH vintages so will give this a crack

darellk

Post by darellk »

phillisc wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:48 pm WDC Yellow Hammerhill Shiraz Malbec 2022.
Cheers Craig
You've talked me into it - will open one tonight.

mjs

Post by mjs »

Didn't take any notes, but had a 2018 Domaine Clarendon Blewitt Springs BDX Cabernet Merlot last night out at dinner in Rundle Street east. Absolute cracker of a wine!
veni, vidi, bibi
and instagram m_j_short

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

mjs wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 8:31 am Didn't take any notes, but had a 2018 Domaine Clarendon Blewitt Springs BDX Cabernet Merlot last night out at dinner in Rundle Street east. Cracker of a wine!
Have always found the Domaine series to be very approachable and high quality at the price point they’re often found at.

Cheers Ed

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

2012 Rockford BP. In a great spot, excellent cork, dark purple colour. Long plush savoury core, firm finish. Lovely wine with 1-2 decades to go.
Cheers Craig

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

phillisc wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:34 am 2012 Rockford BP. In a great spot, excellent cork, dark purple colour. Long plush savoury core, firm finish. Lovely wine with 1-2 decades to go.
Cheers Craig
Great to hear. There was another positive review on cellar tracker recently too. I have some squirrelled away specifically for a milestone birthday in a few years time.

With the sh*thouse weather over the weekend, I pulled out a 2020 Wendouree Shiraz to sample, fair to say, even in its youth it is lovely wine, quite concentrated fruit, with plenty to like about it and assurity to cellar with confidence.

WineRick

Post by WineRick »

2021 Soul Growers 'Hampel' Shiraz. Tried it at a recent tasting at the Lion Hotel, and purchased a bottle for a 'Big Reds' tasting on Sunday. Simply stunning. From a great vintage, it was one of the most complete, balanced yet full-throttle reds I've had in a long time. Palate just went on and on.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

2019 Yalumba The Cigar, for a cheapie, it was, when released and the 2018 for around $12 IIRC, this is fabbo.

Great fruit structure, full bodied, drinking really well, back label states a decade's cellaring...it'll do that in a canter. Waiting for the 2021.
I am really liking what Yalumba are doing, particularly in Coonawarra.
Cheers Craig

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

darellk wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:41 pm
Cheers Craig
So, what did you think?
Cheers Craig

darellk

Post by darellk »

phillisc wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 1:44 pm
darellk wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:41 pm
Cheers Craig
So, what did you think?
Cheers Craig
I didn't hesitate in ordering more on the weekend when the shop on the website opened!! Cuddly blanket indeed... very much looking forward to trying the Shiraz Pressings when the time is right

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Glad you enjoyed it...I have 5 left and could easily go another dozen, but really really really need to show some restraint. WDC are an absolute favourite, I have never purchased the high end stuff, as I think Springflat is so good.

Cheers Craig

darellk

Post by darellk »

phillisc wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 3:57 pm Glad you enjoyed it...I have 5 left and could easily go another dozen, but really really really need to show some restraint. WDC are an absolute favourite, I have never purchased the high end stuff, as I think Springflat is so good.

Cheers Craig
Yes I have developed quite a liking of Heathcote reds over the past few years. I am relatively new to WDC sticking to the Yellow Hammer Hill of previous years and adding Springflat and Shiraz Pressings this year. The father-in-law loves the whites I have been sneaking through to him as well. Certainly are a favourite of ours as well, such great quality for the price point.

mjs

Post by mjs »

Quite a few excellent reds at a dinner in Coonawarra last night, mostly 20yo cabernet, but a couple of other years as well. The 2004 Parker, Wynns JR, Katnook Odyssey, Balnaves Tally were all outstanding, just a pleasure to drink 20 yo wines that were ageing gracefully, with good structure and balance, and still tasted fresh. Shout out to the 2010 Pyrus which showed very well also.

2004 Katnook Cabernet
2004 Hollick Cabernet Merlot
2004 Wynns JR
2004 Balnaves The Tally
2010 Lindemans Pyrus
2004 Katnook Odyssey
2004 Parker First Growth
2014 Parker First Growth
veni, vidi, bibi
and instagram m_j_short

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Thought you might have been there Malcolm!!
Unfortunately couldn't make it.
Fortunate to have a number of those wines. Glad they showed well.
Cheers Craig

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

790A0D5D-1EB2-4C5D-866D-173284EB57E4.jpeg
I don’t drink wine at this price point very often, but I am amazed at how good and how drinkable ‘cheap’ wine has become. I paid $7 a bottle for this at auction and I presume the retail price is around $20. Great wine making for the money. The package is great, with a fancy label, the Kylie brand and screw cap (rare from France). Tastes like a Provance wine in terms of body and texture, but the SB is noticeable and adds an elderflower touch. From 2020 (1st vintage) and one to drink young and enjoy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

WineRick

Post by WineRick »

1980 St Leonards Shiraz, Wahgunyah, NE Vic.
A birth-year wine shared with our daughter last night - wasn't expecting much but cork was surprisingly good, about 25% saturation but came out in one piece.
Colour, as expected, showed some browning at edge but bright.
Decanted just before entree and kept in decanter ( no double-d.).
Huge surprise on the palate - glorious, spicy, aged Shiraz with light pepper.
Have a number of old Rutherglen Shiraz and Durif stashed away so might crack a few while the weather's still cool.

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

A few recent ones from the last couple of weeks.

The surprise for me was Setiono. I was a fan, however this was drinking incredibly well. I had a 2021 Agricola Flaxman and this shaded it. Also beat out the 2018 St Henri quite comfortably. In a great spot. Edit. Setiono picture not loading. Was a 2021 Flaxman.

The Yangarra was a nice quaffable Shiraz probably not at quaffable prices.

The 2023 Agricola was very enjoyable too. I grabbed a few so could go one early. Might need to consider some more? Hhmmm.

Cheers Ed

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Another wonderful wine dinner held mid last month.

The theme for the evening was: Tuscany
so basically anything from that region.

Wine # 1 (Starter) 2020 Cantina Del Signore Metodo Classico Rosato – Sparkling Nebbiolo

Nice pink hue, a light Turkish delight colour – pinkish edges touch of orange in the core. Vibrant bubbles, tiny and bright. Florals leaping out of the glass, dried roses & potpourri, citrus rind, and a slight herb note. One of those wines that is just a pleasure to smell all night.
Dry and tannic mouthfeel, really puckers the lips together. Talc type dryness, beautiful fruit on the strawberry spectrum, although its powerful fruit the wine/body is quite thin and tart; just adds to the complexity. Those tannins are the real star here, dry and dusty and prominent. Wonderful acid line running all the way through, the bubbles probably a little sharp, but with such a young wine they will soften in time. Great wine and should age well. Best Sparkling Neb I have ever come across.

Wine # 2 – 1982 Castello Monsanto Il Poggio Chanti Classico Riserva
Nice deep red colour, darker core – not black but very dark red. No blurring or bricking in the glass, but somehow it looks old. Im guessing 15 – 20 years just on that colour. PONGY! The nose is just so off-putting, brett / horse hair, barn yard stables and some oxidative characters as well. This just smells dirty and faulty, however this is one of those rare wines where the palate is exceptional. There is a steely/rusty note, almost metallic mineral in the mid palate, hits you like a tonne of bricks – quite something. Cherry red fruit leads me to 100% sangiovese, not getting any other varieties in there. Nicely integrated oak, old oak but not secondary characters which is strange, the acid here is holding everything together, soft red fruits, soft and dry tannin and some Italian herb characters. This is a grand old wine that wants a cuddle and some love. Its been waiting patiently for this moment for 42 years. Probably slightly past it, but drinking nicely – don’t wait any longer.

Wine # 3.1 – Left Glass – 2004 Conti Constanti Brunello Di Montalcino

Colour is a dark cherry red, deep dark core very similar to the previous wine, but looks younger. Clear in the glass with no bricking or blurring. Again like the last wine this is very PONGY, poo and barnyard characters again ‘unclean’ is what I wrote, however like the last wine, the palate is fine.
In the mouth there are some wonderful red fruits, some dark cherries and strawberries, but those tannins are the star here. Dry and sandy tannin, coats the teeth, adds texture and a slight chewiness to the wine. Some dried oregano lifts the experience however that oak is probably a little heavy at the moment. Doesn’t spoil or distract the wine, just prominent. Quality fruit nice length but somehow I just want a bit more from it.

Wine #3.2 – Right Glass – 2004 Conti Constanti Brunello Di Montalcino Riserva
Softer nose than the left glass, not as pongy or stinky. Same colour – actually the exact same colour and again no blurring or bricking. Nose is similar however more fruit, there is oak but the fruit seems to handle it better, still soft dark fruits coming out. In the mouth more blue/purple fruit as well which is strange. Some lighter plum, blueberries and overripe strawberry. Not jammy or sweet fruit, just a different style. Cant tell if there are other varieties in here, I don’t think there is but could be. Black cherry, less oak and softer tannin as well. Now its opening up with a bit of air, the sangiovese fruit is really singing – im convinced its 100% sang. Italian herb, red florals red petals with a hint of purple as well. Some fresh alpine air – pine needle maybe? Length is good and is my preference of the two.

Wine # 4 – 2006 Fuligni Brunello Di Montalcino
Darker in colour than the other wines of the evening. Very dark red/purple, almost black core. It looks like its seen oak, however looks can be deceiving. Black cherry fruit, dark red fruits as well, hint of plum and yes oak. Quite oaky – too much on the nose.
The palate has all the stuffing of a long lived wine, beautiful acid is the first thing you notice, then those middle palate tannins come rushing in, very prominent and gravelly. Some provincial type herb, fennel leaf maybe as well? Earthy but not wet, like a dry earth - nose is getting better and better with air, oak subsiding and the fruits coming out and lifting. Wonderful length, this is just a pup. Although its drinking well now, a few more years you will see more oak integration and more fruit – SUPER powerful fruits. Drink or hold, its your choice - i know what i would be doing though

Wine # 5 – 2013 Fuligni Brunello Di Montalcino
Well, well, well…. What do we have here. The first proper red colour of the evening. Bright and clear, strawberry red – a sight to behold and very welcome. The nose is very Nebbiolo like, in fact I was wondering initially if the presenter was trying to trick us. Huge red rose florals, potpourri of dried roses, Turkish delight, sweet red strawberry fruits, tar – lots of tar actually and some red liquorice notes. Astonishing fruit, powerful, complex nose – Nebbiolo
But no, this is a vintage thing apparently – very elegant and perfumed fruit in 2013.
Tannin is dry and dusty, just adds to the enjoyment, so pure and unspoiled. I cant like this enough – spectacular. Will buy – wine of the night so far
What I really take out of this is the completely different winemaking styles and change of direction between the 2006 & 2013. The Six more of a ‘parker’ style, where the 13 has all the fruit purity and elegance I want. Dammit …. Now I have to find a lot more 2013’s. What a top vintage in Tuscany!

Wine # 6 – 2013 Le Chiuse Brunello Di Montalcino
Red Rim, darker core but still looks young and youthful. Clear without any blurring, so im in the 10ish year range. High quality sangiovese nose, fruity and precise, loaded with red fruits. Redcurrants and strawberries, young cherries and lots of dried herbs…. Probably the most herbal nose of the night. Quite different to the previous wine, although the fruit is clean, pure and red, those herbs are so powerful and prominent its delightful in a different way. No noticeable oak, and mouth watering acid and a grainy tannin structure – fruit tannin here, chewy as well. Spectacular – but the 13 fuligni just pips it for me I think. For others in the group this was their wine of the night – which is why these nights work so well. Everyone has a slightly different preference in what they like and enjoy, young wine has many years ahead and will only improve from here. Drinking beautifully though; length for days.

Wine # 7 – 2014 Fontodi Vigna del Sorbo Chanti Classico Grans Selezione

Similar dark red colour to the last wine, but a deeper core – oak core maybe?
Again is a younger wine, 10ish years, still has a shine to it. Lots of dark raspberry fruit, very intense raspberry – almost like a compote – concentrated and thick on the nose.
There is some dark chocolate in there too – like one of those 80% cocoa offerings. Blackcurrant and black cherry fruit on the palate, but I cant get over the power of that dark raspberry. Super super high quality fruit or vineyard here. No greenness, but there is oak. Yes it’s a bit too much at the moment, gives that vanilla spice to the wine, however this is just a baby. Still in its infancy and still integrating into itself. Another 5 – 10 and I can see those fruits really overpower the oak.
Super grippy tannin makes you lick your teeth & cheeks to get it off. Length is great, put away for now, drink your rosso’s while this sleeps. Will be a stunner with time.

Wine # 8 – 2022 Bakkanali Rosso

Bright red, turning purple in the center – rim has some blurry colour as well, suggesting this hasn’t been fined or filtered. Label is original and hilarious! Has a religious ye olde connotation, love it. Super young, looks like a barrel sample it just has this look about it.
Intensely fruity nose, blackcurrants and raspberries again, but that blurriness is still intriguing me.
In the mouth, this is so juicy – like a freshly squeezed or blended fruit drink it just pops and explodes with fruit. This is a low tannin wine, no oak…. Like NONE. I wonder how this was vinified… feels like stainless steel as it has this steeliness about it. I cant get over how juicy this is, unlike anything we have had tonight, very low acid though, makes me think it wont cellar long; bult in a drink now style. Doesn’t really matter, as its delicious and drinking beautifully now. Drink these while waiting for the others to come round. More please

Wine # 9 (Extra) – 2006 Monsanto Chianti Classico
Similar dark red in colour to other wines presented tonight, this was opened due to having time up our sleeve and the presenter wanting to open it. Was his backup but could have easily been his main wine. Some oak on the nose, spice and a touch of dried herb. The fruit is starting to come up, and has black/dark cheery notes. Wasn’t decanted, just popped and poured however, needed some time in the open and this would have benefited greatly with a decant. Alas. Very primary at this stage, I think its about 10 years old, feels quite young still and in its infancy. Oak dominates the palate, vanilla spice, however those lingering dusty tannins are just perfect. Acid still primary and needs time, but that pure sangiovese fruit is just quality. Sucks you in, enticing but not ready yet. Oak needs to calm down and let the fruit rise above. 10+ years easily before the next one, belies its 18 years.

Wine # 10 – 1971 Metala Vintage Port
Bought from the cellar door a few years ago, this was opened, assessed by the winemaker and re-corked back in 2015 once it was passed. Apparently a result of a wrong barrel being fortified, however I cant believe that, as other vintages were made after this. Makes for a good backstory though. Lovely deep dark purple, almost black but just the slightest hint/tinge of red. Super explosive nose, crushed ants, allen’s cool mints with some spearmint as well. Deep dark fruits as well, blackberry and black plum. Clearly a Vintage port, and too dark and fruit driven to be Portuguese. Spirit it exceptional…. Clean, pure and integrated. Not hot or pokey, this is a lesson in how to manage spirit in a fortified – so classy. This has an aniseed/licorice note with lost of dark chocolate mint as well. More blackberry fruit, yet its still quite prominent. Most pick late 80’s which I can easily see, even younger if that was an option. Incredible balance, alas my last bottle and definitely the best one yet. Lingers in the mouth for an eternity, silky and enthralling.

Wonderful evening