Gilberts Reserve Shiraz 2011

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Waiters Friend

Gilberts Reserve Shiraz 2011

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

Gilberts is a small producer about 20km north of Mount Barker in the Great Southern region. Their rieslings and shiraz have been consistently good for years, and age well.

Purple in the glass, with some bricking at the rim. Powerful and complex nose with developed dark plums and blueberries, cloves, black pepper, and a touch of leather. The palate is medium to full bodied, with more of the fruit flavours flowing along the tongue towards the finish. Tannins are well integrated and offer modest grip, and there's enough acid to show some freshness. Long finish, and the wine is well balanced without being too heavy.

Probably at it best now, and unlikely to improve. My last bottle, unfortunately. However, I have most of the next 10 vintages in the cellar to look forward to. :D

Cheers
Allan
G.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

TravisW

Re: Gilberts Reserve Shiraz 2011

Post by TravisW »

Thanks for your notes on wines that we rarely see over this side of the country. I really appreciate it. Cheers.

I Love Shiraz

Post by I Love Shiraz »

I tried their wines at the Good Food & Wine Show in Melbourne on Sunday. I was really impressed with their wines, especially their Rieslings.
Life is too short to drink rubbish wine.

Instagram: wine.by.michael

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

I Love Shiraz wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:30 pm I tried their wines at the Good Food & Wine Show in Melbourne on Sunday. I was really impressed with their wines, especially their Rieslings.
Good call on the rieslings. They age superbly 10-15 years, and I have evidence of this remaining in the cellar. Good juice indeed.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

I have been continually impressed with wines coming out of Great Southern. Shiraz, cabernet, malbec seem to do quite well there. Nice different flavour profiles add a dimension to the collection. So far they are aging well too. A recent bottle of Houghton 2013 CW Ferguson was a stunner with many years ahead of it.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work