Merlin over Adelaide?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
WineRick

Merlin over Adelaide?

Post by WineRick »

Unless my ears let me down, did I hear a Merlin V12-engined plane fly over Adelaide this Anzac morning? Was in our dog park and couldn't quite make out the plane - Supermarine perhaps!

To bring wine into it, and make it a legit post, I'm just about to open a 2004 Bowen Cabernet (my wife's favourite Coonawarra Cabernet since the early '80's) and raise a glass to Doug and family on his loss. Totally agree that he has shown the rest of the industry how to price and market quality reds.

JamieAdelaide

Re: Merlin over Adelaide?

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Wasn’t a Pratt & Whitney Wasp engine was it? Could have been a bloke I went to school with - Jim Whalley- in his Boomerang. His Dad an ex-WW2 RAAF Boomerang pilot and former Lord Mayor of Melbourne. Jim made his fortune out of Nova systems, he’s an ex-RAAF test pilot, and the company is a defence contractor. He refurbished a Boomerang his Dad flew!

I’m in Hong Kong and we still have a ANZAC Dawn Service ( for now). Old Rioja and steak dinner tonight.

Lest We Forget.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

WineRick wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:43 pm To bring wine into it, and make it a legit post, I'm just about to open a 2004 Bowen Cabernet (my wife's favourite Coonawarra Cabernet since the early '80's) and raise a glass to Doug and family on his loss. Totally agree that he has shown the rest of the industry how to price and market quality reds.
I've just decanted a 2012 Bowen Cabernet for similar reasons.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

WineRick

Post by WineRick »

Yes, it would have been Jim's Boomerang - lovely big radial sound but too far away to make out shape of the plane. He often brings it to the Barossa Air Show - nice bloke.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Just paid my respect at the war memorial in Bath to the ANZAC diggers. Will have a few cold beers at lunch and hopefully an affordable red tonight.
Enjoying all the Bowen references, as said before, many could learn a lesson or two on how to price their products.
As Doug said to me last year, why rip off the public, without them you are nothing.
Sure it was a lovely service Malcolm.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day