BYO Australia?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
asajoseph

Re: BYO Australia?

Post by asajoseph »

On the broader theme - the other judgement call is opportunity cost. In a full restaurant, if you BYO, you're not only cutting into the restaurant's margin of what they could sell you, you're also taking a table from someone who might otherwise buy from the list. So I can understand why nominal charges - or even 'cheapest bottle equivalent' charges might be unappealing. It's probably hard to calculate what the true 'level' should be on a case-by-case basis, so I understand why restaurants might not want the hassle.

What I have seen work elsewhere is using BYO to drive foot-fall on nights where the restaurant might otherwise be quiet. Early week specials, etc. The Hawksmoor chain in London seems to do this incredibly successfully - I'm assuming because the margins on their food make it worthwhile. I'm guessing they're fat, based on what I think they're paying at cost.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Don't buy the first paragraph, but certainly agree with the second. There are establishments that do free BYO on quiet nights. There also those that know BYO every night will translate to more bums on seats.
Unless I'm in another universe, doubt that there are restaurants at capacity every night and punters are happily paying 300-600% mark ups on wine.
Think BYO will continue, canny operators will use it as a strategy to remain open :shock: :shock:

Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

asajoseph

Post by asajoseph »

Depends what level of restaurant you're talking about, I think. If it's local restaurants in suburban areas - even good ones - they'll often be trying to turn more tables. As such, offering BYO might be a lever they could, and often do consider.

In my experience though, higher-end restaurants in the CBD, or the most affluent suburbs aren't struggling with getting people through the door, so maximising margins from a capacity clientele is going to be the name of the game.

I'm absolutely not ITB though, but I've booked more than my fair share of tables!

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Transferred from another thread. Paris Go in Carlton (VIC). Great french food at very reasonable prices. $17 corkage. Linen tablecloths and napkins an indication of the quality.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

jimv

Post by jimv »

There are plenty of Asian and Pizza/pasta restaurants who have no problem with byo. Happy to give them my cash.

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Cafe Sydney for lunch yesterday and thankfully I was drinking soda water only. Over $800 for a bottle of Wendouree from last decade!

I tend to do my fine dining over lunch these days to avoid the horrendous wine mark-ups.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

In Perth, I can heartily recommend Lulu's Little Bistro, just outside the CBD. Excellent mostly-French food, cosy 25 seater restaurant, and a chef who is a wine enthusiast.

Newly opened, and open Thursday to Saturday at this stage. And BYO, of course.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

JamieAdelaide wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:11 am Cafe Sydney for lunch yesterday and thankfully I was drinking soda water only. Over $800 for a bottle of Wendouree from last decade!

I tend to do my fine dining over lunch these days to avoid the horrendous wine mark-ups.
There you go...just a lazy 300-600% mark up, and contrary to popular opinion, it just flew off the shelf :wink: :wink:
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

Waiters Friend wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:55 pm In Perth, I can heartily recommend Lulu's Little Bistro, just outside the CBD. Excellent mostly-French food, cosy 25 seater restaurant, and a chef who is a wine enthusiast.

Newly opened, and open Thursday to Saturday at this stage. And BYO, of course.
I second that! Been there a couple of times now, drinking great champagne, barolo and burgundy at absolutely no cost (apart from my own already sunk cost). Great food too!

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

phillisc wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:56 pm
JamieAdelaide wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:11 am Cafe Sydney for lunch yesterday and thankfully I was drinking soda water only. Over $800 for a bottle of Wendouree from last decade!

There you go...just a lazy 300-600% mark up, and contrary to popular opinion, it just flew off the shelf :wink: :wink:
Cheers Craig
Yes you’d say with shipping and commission the Wendouree would cost them $200-$250 so that’s about right. If you are building a wine list a few “cults” looks good but it would be nice to see more reasonable wines.

As a postscript, Cafe Sydney were always my nemesis at auction outbidding me and counter-bidding didn’t see success. So over the years if I saw them bidding I’d play along too. It was fun- and drove the price up for the vendor. I chatted the sommelier and told him this. He said they stopped bidding on wine like Giaconda at auction due demand and obtaining wines direct- and they smartly have a more discrete bidding handle now!

mjs

Post by mjs »

Went to a relatively new Thai joint in the northern suburbs last week, Bangkok Snap in Kilburn. Waiter apologised for having to charge us $5 for corkage! Reasonably authentic Thai food, good value.
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short