Sami Watch

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
mychurch

Re: Sami Watch

Post by mychurch »

30/04/04 was my first contact with Fraser. That might be a factor, but as we all know from Wendouree, it can be a mystery as to how wines get allocated.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

I could probably talk about how I decided to ‘dive in the deep end’ and the idea of doing a horizontal, but the fact of the matter is I was making pizza for the Ooni and just grabbed what I thought was a Little Wine from the wine fridge. Like sans-Specsavers you can you see how it could happen if not paying attention - cos Pizza is life right and that hot salami isn’t going to cut itself perfectly is it.…

IMG_4958.jpeg

yes this one of those internet recipes where you get the whole family, town, food backstory before you get the recipe… anyway the to the wine… but before that… some context, I’m a huge Rhone fan, it has been a gradual progression over the years where I’m finding more enjoyment in Hermitage, Cote Rotie et al. but I am still a huge Rockford, Wendouree and of course Sami Odi fan. (so my comments probably take on even more credence in this light) The wine had a 3 hour decant and swirls in a 1000mL Erlenmeyer flask.

The 2022 Sami-Odi ‘Hoffmann Dallwitz’ Syrah, according to the liner notes on the website – “our prime cask selection from DW-OLD (planted between 1888-1912), ER-27 (planted 1927) & DW-95VSP (planted 1995). These 24 Burgundian Pièces were gently assembled and bottled amid the spring of 2023 after enduring a 76 week elevage. Bottles were filled without filtration, fining or sparging. 6485 bottles were filled.”

After drinking the HD Syrah over the last 9 odd years. I’d learnt not to touch them for a few years once I’d tried one as a calibration(?) a barrel sample if you will. The first thing that I noticed with this was the super approachable nature of it. Same inky purple, almost iridescent colour on the edges, the same bountiful aromas bursting out of the glass – so I’m thinking here we go, get that fatty Meatlovers pizza on your palate quick smart. I was shocked, the usual almost/bordering but never going over the edge, confected-in-your-face violet, raspberry, bright fruits on the palate were toned down big time, smoothed out and way more integrated together - darker and ‘ready to go’. The flavours are meshed, so now we have this glorious plum, blackberry, and dark fruited wine, a cacophony that all works together with no time required to bring it together. Bordered by dusty tannins and acid attacking all corners of your mouth drawing it out for a 30sec hang time on the palate. After the 3rd mouthful, I just sat back and said ‘wow, and yesssss!!’ this the right in the wheelhouse. What has he done different??

I’m loathe to use the word ‘smooth’ but that is exactly the sensation you get from the wine, it’s not young and pokey with seemingly disparate components needing to come together, he has somehow smoothed out all the edges and points. It is like a Shiraz Cabernet that has had the mix changed to a Cabernet Shiraz, the difference is that stark for me. I’m just a regular punter/wine lover, but he has taken the wine to the next level this year in my humble opinion. He has created a wine that I feel will be drinkable through all the various stages of it’s life, and depending on ‘how you like them’ there is something for everyone no matter where you are on the lifespan curve.

Really impressed and happy with this. I don’t want to go all Dunning-Kruger on Fraser and offer a ‘well done!’ given my place on the ladder in the general scheme of wine things. But stuff it, well done mate this is a bloody good drop.

IMG_4957.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I Love Shiraz

Post by I Love Shiraz »

Such a benefit being on the mailing list. Due to the scarcity of stock and demand for the wines, the mark ups in the retail space are huge.
Life is too short to drink rubbish wine.

Instagram: wine.by.michael

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Thanks Dave for the tasting notes, sounds very encouraging. I shared this year's allocation with a fellow forumite. I have been fortunate to try a couple of the wines from the 2012 vintage, which were brilliant, so will look forward to tasting the few releases that I have, in about 5 years.

Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

SipAndANibble

Post by SipAndANibble »

Hey so I’m new here. I’ve sent a letter to join the Wendouree list, and am intrigued by the Sami odi wine list too from this thread. Is it similar to Wendouree in that sending a letter or making direct contact with Fraser would help one’s chances of getting onto the mailing list, or is it very much so ‘take a number and wait’

SipAndANibble

Post by SipAndANibble »

Hey so I’m new here. I’ve sent a letter to join the Wendouree list, and am intrigued by the Sami odi wine list too from this thread. Is it similar to Wendouree in that sending a letter or making direct contact with Fraser would help one’s chances of getting onto the mailing list, or is it very much so ‘take a number and wait’

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

You'll be waiting at least 5 years for Wendouree, of course the owners are not getting any younger, but who knows what will happen in the future. According to whats been recently reported about Sami Odi...you'll be waiting 20.
I would be looking at retailers for Sami Odi, there are one or two in the eastern states and the second hand market for Wendouree.
Its only the Shiraz that fetches a premium, the rest go for 10-20% above release price.

Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

SipAndANibble

Post by SipAndANibble »

5 years is a long time ! And yes I’ve read about the Shiraz and Cabernet from Wendouree that is sort after. guess it’s good to get the process started and see how I go. I’m still intrigued to see if tony and Lita will write back to my request. I’m also on the sorrenberg wine list. But yes does seem like Sami odi might challenging too !

jminas

Post by jminas »

Last edited by jminas on Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kenzo

Post by kenzo »

Waiting until the next vintage for fulfilment might be an option - if he was sold out, it may be that he simply doesn't have the wine to replace? Shame about the lack of communication though.