TN: Clarendon Hills 'Clarendon' Syrah Moritz vineyard 2008

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Waiters Friend

TN: Clarendon Hills 'Clarendon' Syrah Moritz vineyard 2008

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

It was a pleasant surprise to find I have a few of these in the cellar. Time to crack one.

Deep purple black in colour, and opaque. At 16 years ofage, the characters are likely to appear developed, but I am surprised at how much apparent fruit there is on the nose. It's all dark - black plums and blackberries, along with a fair amount of vanillan oak. There's some cinnamon and clove spices as well, bordering on Christmas pudding. Not a lot of savoury characters at all - this is big, sweet shiraz.

The palate echoes the nose with more dark fruit conserve flooding the tongue. Tannins are present, but only slightly grippy, and they're felt more on the back palate. There's no question that this is a big, full-bodied shiraz, without a lot of subtlety, but the elements it has are present in abundance.

I couldn't drink big wines like this every day, but I am enjoying this now.

Cheers
Allan
C.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

asajoseph

Re: TN: Clarendon Hills 'Clarendon' Syrah Moritz vineyard 2008

Post by asajoseph »

Thanks Allan.

I've had a few of these from the 2010 vintage - most recently last weekend. I'm not really sure how I feel about them - they're definitely 'of a style', pretty big, dense and 'blocky' as I described them at the time. I think the fruit is starting to dry out on these, which can make drinking them a bit of a slog - but I've only got one left.