Need help - Melbourne BYO Restaurants

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Chuck

Need help - Melbourne BYO Restaurants

Post by Chuck »

We are heading to Melbourne catching up with our son. We want to take out for a special meal and need help with a good restaurant that allows BYO. Somewhere north of CBD would be good but any highly regarded place would be good too. Preferable not Asian.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

jimv

Re: Need help - Melbourne BYO Restaurants

Post by jimv »

Try :

https://www.matteos.com.au/

https://parisgo.com.au/

https://www.scopri.com.au/

Tiamo and University Cafe in Lygon street Carlton

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Many thanks Jim. Following review we have booked Paris Go. Great menu and reviews. Corkage at $18 is very reasonable by today's standards.

BHCC1

Post by BHCC1 »

Snap - the same three recommendations came to mind for me too. Chuck, you will enjoy Paris Go - it flies under the radar but has been a long time favourite of mine.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Paris Go is perfect in more ways. When we caught up with our daughter in Paris last year we took her and then partner for a nosh up meal. So as we can't take son and his partner to Paris we are bringing Paris to Melbourne. Just sorting out some nice wines. Question is 3 or 4 bottles plus Uber home me thinks. Looking at some bubbles (B de B), MR chardonnay, 2012 Lindeman's Limestone Ridge (best of the trio IMO) and 2013 Houghtons CW Ferguson Cabernet Malbec. Current less than perfect cellaring conditions forcing us to drink the reds too early. Tough gig but someone has to do it.

mjs

Post by mjs »

Chuck wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:09 pm Paris Go is perfect in more ways. When we caught up with our daughter in Paris last year we took her and then partner for a nosh up meal. So as we can't take son and his partner to Paris we are bringing Paris to Melbourne. Just sorting out some nice wines. Question is 3 or 4 bottles plus Uber home me thinks. Looking at some bubbles (B de B), MR chardonnay, 2012 Lindeman's Limestone Ridge (best of the trio IMO) and 2013 Houghtons CW Ferguson Cabernet Malbec. Current less than perfect cellaring conditions forcing us to drink the reds too early. Tough gig but someone has to do it.
:lol: :lol: have had plenty of meals at Paris Go where there has been more than 4 bottles between 4 :lol: :lol:

jimv wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:15 am Try :

https://www.matteos.com.au/

https://parisgo.com.au/

https://www.scopri.com.au/

Tiamo and University Cafe in Lygon street Carlton
Jeez, have been in Adelaide for a little over three years now. These are the three restaurants I miss! And ok, chuck in Tiamo and University Cafe for some cheap Italian as well!
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

via collins

Post by via collins »

a recent addition to the Melbourne BYO list is The Recreation in Clifton Hill.

It's not all nights, I think it's $20 or $30, but very worthwhile as the food is just superb - nearly Scopri level. Perhaps as good.

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

Con and I had a dinner at the Recreation a few months ago. That was on a Wed night. Corkage was $30 a bottle with a limit of 1 bottle pp we actually drank 5 though. Note that they don’t allow corkage on Friday or Sat.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

Cosi and Da Noi have both become BYO's on ex-weekend night (and days)
Corkage $15 at Cosi and $35 at Da Noi.
Food B- at Cosi and B/B+ at Da Noi.
If you are drinking good booze, Paris Go would be my favourite, particularly for an Autumn lunch.
Matteo's close second, maybe equal for dinner.
France Soir also does BYO, and that would round out the top three for me.

jimv

Post by jimv »

France Soir only byo for lunch these days unfortunately.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. We enjoyed a great dining experience at Paris Go. Great menu that didn't disappoint. Quite cheap too. Great atmosphere. Intimate. Linen tablecloths and serviettes which I do like. Unlike many restaurants these days the menu was extensive with about 6 daily specials. All 4 of us were sharing our dishes around and rating them which is a good sign. Service was first rate with great knowledge shown by the waiter (Hugo) who ended up advising he was a sommelier. Stemware was well above expectations, all quality crystal, and requests for extra glasses met. They were happy to decant the reds which allowed them to blossom into stunning wines. They even volunteered an ice bucket for the chardonnay. The sommelier even offered a tasting of a French grenache which was unlike anything I've tried in OZ. Quite full bodied. We left them about 1/3rd of a bottle of the Lindemans Limestone Ridge in the decanter as a thank you which they were tasting as we left. All in all one of our best meals in a long long time. Will be back any time we are in Melbourne. Fine dining experience at bistro prices. 10/10. Son's new girlfriend had limited to no experience with fine dining and she was excited by the whole experience. So we indeed did bring a small taste of Paris back to OZ. Again, thanks for the recommendation.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Oh and BTW the wines were exceptional. The 13 CW Ferguson Cab Malbec was stunning and the 12 Limestone Ridge not far behind. Both from less than perfect storage over the past few years in a Sydney cupboard. I was surprised how they were more developed than I was expecting which may not be a bad thing given they were under stelvin. Checked the stash on return and there's a few of each still left. Always a nice surprise.