TN: Howard Park Margaret River Chardonnay 2020

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Waiters Friend

TN: Howard Park Margaret River Chardonnay 2020

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

The Howard Park Chardonnay has been a dozen buy for me every year for the last few, and I am looking forward to the imminent release of the 2023. The fruit source has shifted over the years from the Great Southern to include Margaret River fruit, and this wine is 100% southern Margaret River. 13% alcohol. 2020 was a top vintage in Margaret River.

Medium yellow in the glass. Cedary (rather than vanillan) oak and stone fruits jockey for pole position on the nose, with some citrus (pink grapefruit, soft lemon) just behind them on the grid (I'll stop the motor racing analogies now). The nose is reasonably intense and has some raw cashew nuts adding a further savoury character.

The palate is fruit-forward, and the citrus leads the way here, especially on entry. It fills out mid-palate, with slightly grippy oak and accompanying stone fruits, well supported by acid. There's a fair amount happening in the mouth, and the wine changes in character from the front to the back palate. Good length and a pleasingly fresh but full finish.

From experience, this has years ahead of it, and should improve and fill out further over the next couple. Just as well I bought a dozen.

Cheers
Allan

HP 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.