TN: Houghton C.W. Ferguson Cabernet Malbec 2012

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Waiters Friend

TN: Houghton C.W. Ferguson Cabernet Malbec 2012

Post by Waiters Friend »

I first tried this wine with the 2007 vintage, but have not tried it since. This is from Great Southern fruit.

Purple red in the glass. A rich nose of blackcurrant, blueberry, tobacco, a touch of eucalypt, and supported by some savoury oak. The palate is full-bodied, with lashings of fruit across the palate. Tannins are mouth-puckering but not dominant, and with the glycerols, provide a satisfying mouthfeel. The finish is long and the wine overall is delicious.

Cabernet Malbecs are rare in WA (Kosovich also make a good one), but I cannot fault this one.

Cheers
Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Waiters Friend

Re: TN: Houghton C.W. Ferguson Cabernet Malbec 2012

Post by Waiters Friend »

A few years on from the last tasting note. Decanted before service. I could smell the wine from half a metre away.

Deep purple in the glass, and opaque.

Lots of blackcurrant, mulberries and dark plums on the nose, with tobacco, savoury oak and spices. Since the last tasting, the palate intensity has softened somewhat, but the fruit flavours, although developed, still dominate, with moderately grippy tannins and fairly soft acid. Long finish, and overall the wine has softened in the past few years.

I still have a couple of bottles and should probably drink them sooner rather than later (but I've said that before!)

Cheers
Allan
HCW.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

I've got one 2007 left, probably should drink it. Last bottle I had of this was superb!!

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

WAwineguy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:00 pm I've got one 2007 left, probably should drink it. Last bottle I had of this was superb!!
https://forum.auswine.club/viewtopic.php?p=1 ... 07#p168738

Despite my comment last year that it will probably go longer, I knocked off my last bottle some time in the last few months. Drinking yours now won't disappoint, and I suggest there's little room for improvement.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Thanks for the heads up. There's a bottle of this wine floating around in my less than satisfactory Sydney storage that needs to be drunk sooner rather than later. It's been out of good Adelaide storage for about 2 years now. I do love Cab Malbecs and even straight Malbecs. The savoury Malbec puts a bit of flesh on the cab bones, a bit like the way shiraz does.

Jeanneret of Clare Valley do a Cab malbec. It's a bit in your face with fruit bordering on over ripe (reflected in the15% ABV) but it seems to work (it's balanced) when you just want a nice rich wine to cut through some rich red meat dishes. Bring on winter I say.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work