TN: Howard Park Leston Shiraz 2004

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Waiters Friend

TN: Howard Park Leston Shiraz 2004

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

I'll preface this tasting note with a long held opinion of mine. I have been unconvinced for years of the ability of shiraz in Margaret River to make great wines. Reasonable wines, maybe, but not superlative, and, in W.A. at least, I go to the Great Southern and the Swan Valley for my shiraz.

However, after trying this wine last year at a Howard Park tasting, I was sufficiently persuaded to buy a couple of bottles. Time to open one, at 20 years of age. Under screwcap (which was an influencing factor in my purchasing decision). 14.5% abv and 18 months in French oak. Grapes from Block 4 of the Leston vineyard.

Ruby / crimson in colour with no signs of bricking and a dark opaque core. The nose opens with a good whiff of leather, leading to developed red fruits, cinnamon / cloves, a little five spice, and savoury oak.

The palate has a fairly linear entry (down the centre of the tongue) then fills out towards the back palate. More red fruits, a little mint, and savoury oak. Tannins are fine but grippy and suck the cheeks in somewhat. It's medium to full bodied but not overpoweringly so, and surprisingly juicy for a 20 year old wine.

This wine doesn't convert me overwhelmingly to the virutues of MR shiraz, but is enjoyable for ehat it is, and I will remain open to the possibility of discovering a 'great' MR shiraz one day :)

Cheers
Allan
HP.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Ian S

Re: TN: Howard Park Leston Shiraz 2004

Post by Ian S »

I presume vine age would have still been pretty young back then, with shiraz more of a 2nd wave planting in the region?

Chuck

Re: TN: Howard Park Leston Shiraz 2004

Post by Chuck »

I am in agreement with your view of MR shiraz. Better stuff at more reasonable prices available in Great Southern and SA. MR shiraz more red fruited in style.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work