Australian Ark

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
GraemeG

Australian Ark

Post by GraemeG »

Anyone read Andrew Caillard's mega-book (3 volumes) on the history of the Oz wine industry?
Since nothing ever seemed to come of that tour Andrew Jefford did all those years ago...
Anyway, anyone seen it? Browsed it?

mjs

Re: Australian Ark

Post by mjs »

Graeme,
I haven't read the mega-book, but at this year's Cabernet Celebrations in Coonawarra in October, the Masterclass was based on "The Story of Cabernet". Andrew Caillard led the tasting along with Sue Hodder and Andrew "Ox" Hardy. We tasted our way through twelve cabernet or cabernet based wines, six from Coonawarra and six from elsewhere in the world and it was a very interesting and informative tasting. Andrew provided a bit of a presentation at the start, drawing heavily on his new tome with diagrams and other information. Even though it was a bit of an infomercial, book out in November just in time for Xmas, etc, it was informative enough to make me interested in getting a copy. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. It's a substantial work at a. substantial price, of course there's a paper back edition and a more expensive hard copy version. Will probably get it in the New Year
cheers, Malcolm
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

Con J

Post by Con J »

Haven’t seen it but sounds very interesting.

I love drinking Australian wine history so would love learn more about it.

Cheers Con.

mjs

Post by mjs »

Con, I’m certainly with you on that, love the experience of old bottles that tell a story
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

Robbo27

Post by Robbo27 »

I ordered the hardback edition at the pre release price (10% off) and haven't really had much time to peruse since received just beofre Christmas.
It's a quality printing with a linen style spine, compact in size but each volume is over 550 pages with many colour and b&w photos and illustrations.
Vol 1 covers from Colonial times to 1900, Vol 2 1901-1982, and Vol 3 covers 1983 - date.
I believe that Vols 1 & 2 are more historical whereas Vol 3 has more commentary from Andrew Caillards point of view.
The hardback edition comes with a slipcase for the 3 books.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

And yes, I could probably look it up somewhere, but price please?
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Robbo27

Post by Robbo27 »

Paperback $199, hardback $399 and for those feeling flush with cash, $999 for the leatherbound edition.

Fernando De Santis

Post by Fernando De Santis »

kenzo

Post by kenzo »

Does anyone else have the problem of not being able to proceed to the target URL when clicking on links such as the one above?

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

kenzo wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:23 pm Does anyone else have the problem of not being able to proceed to the target URL when clicking on links such as the one above?
+1
I would be interested in reading the tomb...but not enough at $199.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

kenzo wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:23 pm Does anyone else have the problem of not being able to proceed to the target URL when clicking on links such as the one above?
Yes. It's been a problem here for a couple of years. The http part of the URL for some reason does not get included in the hyperlink. I generally copy the whole URL into the browser, as clicking on the link doesn't work.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

Waiters Friend wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:13 pm
Yes. It's been a problem here for a couple of years. The http part of the URL for some reason does not get included in the hyperlink. I generally copy the whole URL into the browser, as clicking on the link doesn't work.
I think the colon : is causing the problem.
At least that seemed to be the case when copying TNs across from the CellarTracker default UBB publish sub-routine.

Fernando De Santis

Post by Fernando De Santis »

Sorry, I didn't realise the link doesn't work. But if you go to The Nile website and search Australian Ark, it all good.