Need Advice on New Storage and Stelvin Implications

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Chuck

Need Advice on New Storage and Stelvin Implications

Post by Chuck »

We moved from Adelaide to Sydney a few years ago. In Adelaide we had a typical passive underground cellar that whilst not perfect storage was adequate for medium term storage.

Transported wines to Sydney during winter a year or so ago and now have them stored in a series of bordeaux style racks in an internal dark cupboard. I believe some of the aging/deterioration process for wines under cork is the minute ingress of air as the wine heats up, the cork pushed up slightly, during the day and cools at night. With most of my wines under stelvin I was wondering if this aging/deterioration process will be much reduced compared to cork? With an air conditioned house and the sheer mass of wines in close storage (around 350 bottles) the actual intra day temperature variation in the cupboard is not too bad. My guess is it doesn't get much above say 23C and below 17C most summer days. If the warmer storage actually quickens the aging process I'm all in. The glacial aging under stelvin has always been frustrating. Long term storage should not be an issue as most wines will be drunk within 10 years of purchase. So far wines have been good.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

Ian S

Re: Need Advice on New Storage and Stelvin Implications

Post by Ian S »

Hi Chuck
There are different grades of stelvin, notably in how much oxygen ingress they allow, so the answer might vary from bottling to bottling.

I'm no expert on cork failures, but issues from memory include: the cork drying out in an environment with low humidity; cork losing elasticity as temperature varies repeatedly, very high temperatures forcing the cork up and/or wine seeping out (from increased pressure in the bottles). Oh and TCA and mere variability of seal as well.

So will slightly warmer temperatures risk the same problems with Stelvin? No

Is max daily temp of 17-23c a problem? No I don't expect it to be.

Will warmer temperatures result in faster ageing, but along the same trajectory of how the wine will taste, simply hitting optimal maturity earlier. No, sadly it's not that simple. However given the still moderate temperature, I don't see a risk of 'cooked' wines. Given you're aiming to drink under 10 years age, I really wouldn't sweat it. Probably also worth avoiding wines that demand cellaring (e.g. Wendouree, classic left bank claret, maybe even hunter semillon), but I assume that's already factored into your buying.

hope this helps

tarija

Post by tarija »

If you mostly store Stelvin and drink within 10 years, and are confident of max 23 degrees, I think all good.

Presuming they are Aussie wines mostly - gutfeel that they are more durable than old world, especially combined with Stelvin.

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

I concur with Ian and tarija
------------------------------------
Sam

Sean

Post by Sean »

Really don’t think it is that simple - based on my own experience.

I tried cellaring wine myself over many years in Brisbane and Melbourne. Despite my best efforts and probably kidding myself about it, this was never ideal for long-term storage of red wines.

Unless you have a dedicated climate controlled room, it won’t be ideal. The ambient temperature range inside any house will be variable, and often much warmer than you think.

In truth a lot of red wine will mature too quickly. You will get a taste for aged wines that are earthy and smoky (perhaps even with some remnants of primary fruit), but with no complexity or subtleties.

The cellar I had back then made up of wines I had collected and a large number of much older wine passed onto me by my dad. Those wines were stored in cartons in built-in wardrobes that I thought would suffice. I drank most of this over two or three years when I realised its failings.

About ten years ago, I sold up and moved into an apartment. For a couple of years in my apartment I just drank what I bought. I am still doing that basically now. But for a while I tried storing wine - either in cartons in a spare wardrobe or down in a basement storage cage that I have.

Here is the bit that is relevant to the OP. It was a disaster for the wines under screwcap.

They were cooking in the Summer months. Some very expensive wines were flatter or porty and disappointing anyway when I opened them. On the other hand, the wines under cork seemed to fare a little better. I can only guess the cork had a bit more give with the fluctuating temperatures, but I don’t really know.

Since then I have purchased a wine fridge. It has made a noticeable difference to the wines that I am opening now.

So my own inclination is that either you should go for off-site climate controlled storage. Or buy a wine fridge - which unfortunately will put an end to unlimited wine buying.

Interested to get other people’s take on this based on their own experience.

Meanwhile the following is from Kennards & James Halliday giving some general advice.

It’s true that twist-off closures have an advantage over corks when it comes to temperature fluctuations. Because corks can expand and contract, oxygen can find its way into a bottle, possibly prematurely aging the wine inside. Since screw caps don’t react the same way, they’re thought to be less susceptible to the shifts in temperature.
But temperature fluctuations are believed to still negatively affect a wine. After all, heating and cooling can speed up or slow down the changes taking place inside the bottle.
Gago said his main issue with screwcaps for red wines was not necessarily the ageing of the wines, as this has not yet been thoroughly tested over time, (the oldest Penfolds wine under screw cap dates from the late 1990s), but the fact that using a screwcap masks the impact of heat damage.
“The main thing I am against is heat damage,” said Gago, speaking to the drinks business at Penfolds’ re-corking clinic in London last week. “A red wine under screwcap looks perfect. It might have been at 50 degrees for four weeks but you would never know. A lot of people want to cut costs and there are companies that are moving it and selling it off. These people aren’t paying for refrigerated transport and at the other end the wine is still zapped but you can’t tell with a screwcap.”
Generally, a weeping cork suggests exposure to intense heat, as does a lifted capsule due to the cork being pushed up with internal thermal expansion. These clues to heat damage are concealed when using a screwcap. - Kennards

Daily Temperature Changes
But the most important failure of cork is oxidation; that is, where the cork simply hasn’t done its job of keeping the air out. This is where storage/cellar conditions become critical. In turn, variations in cellar temperatures are the oft-hidden source of all evil for wines sealed by corks. The most critical temperature changes are those recorded daily, although these will be coupled with seasonal changes. The reason that temperature changes are so damaging stems from the expansion of the wine as the temperature rises, and contraction as it falls. A digital thermometer in your cellar tracking daily and seasonal highs and lows is essential, even if it is the bearer of bad news.
Wine Storage Temperature
So, ideal cellar conditions are a temperature of up to 15˚C, a relative humidity of 75 per cent, and that these conditions suffer as little variation as possible. You don’t want your wine expanding and contracting daily. A refrigerated cellar (that maintains humidity) can achieve these parameters, but for many this is not possible (other than units such as Vintech, the drawbacks being limited space and expense). Just be prepared: wine collections tend to mysteriously increase in size. Single bottle storage in racks (and DIY racks using concrete reinforcing steel mesh are every bit as good as the more expensive purpose-built versions) is preferable, especially if you’ve gone to the expense of building a full climate-controlled cellar.
How To Store Wine In The Home?
Then there’s the issue of storage somewhere in the home, with no access to climate or humidity control. If humidity is too high (usual with under-house storage or in the tropics), wrap the bottles in cling film, and the labels will be perfectly preserved. This method is also the one protection against the ultimate disaster – flood.
If the wine is in its original cardboard box, don’t open it until the time has arrived for consumption unless you clingwrap the labels. Here, simply replace the bottles in the box after applying the clingwrap. Loose bottles should be wrapped in newspaper (a sticker showing the name of each wine on the newspaper) and packed tightly in the carton, the contents noted on the outside, each carton with a number.
What Is The Best Temperature To Store Red Wine?
The ideal temperature to store red wine is between 12-14 degrees celsius and it is important to try to keep the storage temperature of a wine as consistent as possible. If you don't have a cool, dark spot in your home that will provide these conditions, consider investing in a wine fridge to ensure the seal of your bottles doesn't become compromised.  - James Halliday

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

I'm more relaxed about the stated variation, but it's a fair comment from Sean to challenge if that's borne out in reality, as (e.g.) I'd be much more concerned by a week at 30C or higher. I guess the key is whether the aircon always kicks in if the temperature hits the low 20s, including when away on holidays etc.

Also Gago's comment about screwcaps hiding heat damage is valid for sure. Perhaps more of a concern on the secondary market though, where someone could dump knowingly f*cked wine onto unsuspecting buyers. Sadly I suspect that is a genuine risk.

Sean

Post by Sean »

I always dreaded the Summer months regarding the wine I was cellaring.

Got to the point where I would think - well I don’t think the wines will survive another hot Summer, I better drink them up.

So getting a wine fridge has made a big difference.

Not for everybody of course. But if you are on a limited budget and only keeping a handful of wines for an extra year or two, it does the job.

Much better than opening a heat affected bottle of red wine.

All of the mainland capital cities often get a heat spike sometime during the Summer, which can be a run of 35C or even 40C days.

Also more humidity particularly in Qld and NSW when there is a large mass of wet tropical systems coming down from the north.

Simply having an air-con running in the house won’t totally alleviate that. Often it is located in the living area or bedroom, and the wines are not. Or not running it because you are not home.

In any case, you have to consider the slow impact over time of varying temperatures and humidity.

The following report from Nine News this morning might give an indication of what it is currently like in Sydney, for example, and what we often face each year in our Australian summers.

“The heatwave smothering large parts of eastern Australia is continuing today, with more scorching conditions for New South Wales and a potential new heat record in Queensland.
The mercury is set to climb to 35 degrees in central Sydney today, but the city's western suburbs will feel the heat most. Residents in Penrith can expect a top of 37 degrees and Parramatta 36 degrees.
It will be cooler in coastal suburbs: Bondi in the Eastern Suburbs hitting a maximum temperature of 31 degrees and the same for Mona Vale on the Northern Beaches.
There is a chance of a thunderstorm and rain in Sydney later today.
But high humidity will increase the impact for Sydneysiders. A humid air mass could make the temperature feel five to 10 degrees hotter than the actual temperature.
Driven by warm north-westerly winds, temperatures tonight could challenge the January minimum record of 26.2 degrees or even the all-time minimum mark of 27.6 degrees.
It will mean another muggy night in store for the city and a warm start to Australia Day tomorrow.
Regional NSW is also heading for another scorcher today. Many towns and regional cities can expect temperatures in the low to mid-40s.
But there is relief in sight before the weekend. Temperatures are forecast to drop by 10 to 15 degrees when a southerly change begins after noon tomorrow.” - Nine News

Edit -

We have been hearing that 2023 was the hottest year on record globally.

So I have been looking through the BOM data on days over 30C in some of the state capital cities.

Sydney
This was actually a surprise, because most of 2022 was under 30C. In fact, Sydney’s official weather station recorded 330 days under 30C from 21 Feb 2022 to 18 Jan 2023. It was the longest streak of sub 30C days recorded since the 1880s.
However very soon after that, the Sydney suburbs set a new record with four consecutive days over 30C in early March 2023.
The Sydney CBD has an average of 15 days a year over 30C. However, the western suburbs in particular are often much warmer than the CBD.
In the Sydney CBD in 2023, there were 2 30C days in Jan, 3 days over 30C in Feb, 4 days in Mar (one day 36C), 4 days in Sep, 5 days in Oct (one day 35.7C), 1 day in Nov, 4 days in Dec (one day 40C).
There have been 4 days over 30C so far in Jan 2024 and 8 days with the RH in the 90s - on the 23 Jan it was 100.

Brisbane
You see higher Max temperatures and Relative Humidity (RH) data for the Brisbane City generally.
Also the outer northern and western suburbs tend to be much warmer over the summer months.
A river city, but often the biggest influence on the weather is from the sub-tropical north.
The usual seasonal trends are dry, warm days in Autumn/Winter and humid, stormy periods with heavy rainfall through Summer.
In 2023, there were 12 days over 30C in Jan, 16 days in Feb, 23 days in Mar, 1 day in Apr, 1 day in Sep, 3 days in Oct, 7 days in Nov, 23 days in Dec.
There have been 16 days over 30C and 2 days with the RH in the 90s so far in Jan 2024.

Melbourne
The BOM data comes from their Olympic Park station in the city. The temperature can be a little more variable around Melbourne’s northern, eastern, western and bayside suburbs.
In 2023 there were 8 days over 30C in Jan, 6 days in Feb (one day 40.5C), 4 days in Mar, 3 days in Nov, 4 days in early Dec.
The prevailing weather systems over Winter generally come from the s/w or the Southern Ocean. As a result there will be long periods of much cooler days than other large cities.
In fact, from July to August in 2023 the Max temperature never went over 20.1C in Melbourne.

Adelaide
The BOM data comes from their West Terrace station in Adelaide.
Located where weather systems would come from the west (WA) and the Southern Ocean generally. Also it will be much warmer and drier when large inland warm air masses have formed in the centre of Australia.
In Jan 2023 there were only 3 days with rain, 5 days in Feb, 10 days in Mar, 7 days in Sep, 10 days in Oct, 4 days in Nov, 8 days in Dec.
From Apr to Aug, there were more frequent rain days and much bigger totals - 124mm in June compared to 11.6mm in Oct.
In 2023 there were 13 days over 30C in Jan, 10 days in Feb, 3 days in Mar, 2 days in Sep, 3 days in Oct, 2 days in Nov, 5 days in Dec.
There have been 12 days over 30C so far in Jan 2024.

Perth
The BOM data for temperatures and rainfall come from their Perth Metro station.
But they note they can have significant variations across the metro area on individual days.
Perth is a river city, which has a moderating effect. Outer areas to the north and west will be much warmer however.
Located in WA with the vast Indian Ocean on one side and Australia’s hot inland centre on the other side. The weather can also be influenced by the sub-tropical wet season in the north.
In 2023 there were 23 days over 30C in Jan, 18 days in Feb, 15 days in Mar, 1 day in Apr, 2 days in Sep, 8 days in Oct, 13 days in Nov, 20 days in Dec.
Last edited by Sean on Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:45 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Many thanks to everyone for their input. A lot to digest. I guess my storage is less than optimal but in the absence of a viable cost effective option I'll stick with it and try to drink earlier. Say less than 5 years. We are both retired so usually have the ac on most warm days. I would be worried if we worked away from home without ac on. When we travel we get in house sitters who are encouraged to use the ac in warmer months. With 35C forecast for today and tomorrow the house will stay around 23C day and night. So far after 3 years in the house I don't think I've had a bad or different (bottle variation) bottle. I do like stelvin as I know exactly how the wines will taste.

I will drink soon rather than later those older bottles brought from Adelaide. Tough gig but it's been fun. Revealing long forgotten wines has been fun. However my days of buying the likes of Wynns Black Label are over unfortunately unless they are pre aged by someone else. But then you have the issue of dealing at auctions where stelvin can hide cooked wines. Oddbins auctions in Adelaide have a "P" for provenance for lots from known good storage.

As an aside I'd be very interested in knowing how wineries store their wines. If not optimal (say in a large shed without temperature control), buying older vintages direct could be problematic particularly for those in the warmer areas - Coonawarra, Barossa, McLaren Vale, Margaret River etc.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work