Need help on Petersons bottle

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
esther

Need help on Petersons bottle

Post by esther »

Hello wine lovers,

I’m seeking some advice on this bottle. Not sure whether to pop it open soon or save it for later. Would love to know its value.

It’s a Petersons IPH Shiraz Vintage 2014. Photo attached. A quick google showed between $120 and $220. But not sure, since it’s from 2014 and I’m not too familiar with this winery.

Many thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Croquet King

Re: Need help on Petersons bottle

Post by Croquet King »

You can still buy it on their website for $220.
Auction price would be lower is my guess.

Petersons seem ok to me but haven't had any of their wines for 30 plus years, so maybe things have changed.
To me they are a family winery doing reasonable but not spectacular wines.
15.8% is very high for a HV shiraz even from 2014.

I'd drink it after a good decant.
I appreciate all forms of alcohol, as long as its wine.

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

I have a solitary bottle of this in the cellar which was purchased on a trip to the Hunter many years ago. Did taste at cellar door and it was a big but balanced wine. My CellarTracker records show I paid $120 for it so it looks like prices have increased since then!! Sarah Todd on CellarTracker gave it 100 points if that means anything ?!? :P The drinking windows on CT also suggest drink from 2025 so maybe give it a few more years before opening? From my recollection of the wine it was a beast and was worthy of sometime in the cellar so I would probably concur with waiting a few more years before opening. However, if you have an occasion then as Croquet King suggests give it a decent decant prior to drinking (+2 hrs).
Cheers
AJ

Cabernet is ... and will always be ... KING!

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

If it's fruit off their vineyard up on Mount View Road, then all I can say is those are quite good vineyards, and fruit quality can be excellent up there. The soil is gorgeous rich dark red loam. '14 was a very good year for the region, so there's that working in it's favour. I would not hesitate to recommend cellaring as long as you wish with a wine like this from such a vintage. The alcohol is a wee bit high (for my tastes), but there should be no shortage of flavour in that wine if it's fruit off that vineyard. I used to work quite closely with the winery directly next door, and it's essentially the same bit of dirt.
Their web-site suggests drinking now and over the next three years, but I bet it could go way, way longer than that.
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

esther

Post by esther »

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! Seems like a high quality wine for a special occasion. Thanks again

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

esther wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:32 am Thanks everyone for your thoughts! Seems like a high quality wine for a special occasion. Thanks again
*like*