Well done Tyson!

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Muscat Mike

Well done Tyson!

Post by Muscat Mike »

A lot of us "know" Tyson from his posts on this forum. Today he was given a very good write-up by none less than Huon Hooke. HH wrote about Tysons' book on "Screw Tops" for wine. It has had to go to a second printing.
Congratulations Tyson,
MM. :)

Post by Guest »

Yeh yeh...

I knew him when he was playing around with old fridge motors.

:lol:

Murray
(p95)

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

Let me add my congratulations. Mind you, if there is some respectable retail distribution of the book in Sydney, it could rival Harry Potter...

cheers,
Graeme

Phil Shorten

Also featured in Saturday's Independent...

Post by Phil Shorten »

...in Anthony Rose's column....there's interest from abroad as well....

Cheers
Phil

Jon Roya

How many is a best seller?

Post by Jon Roya »

and how many has Tyson sold ie: how many constitutes a re-run?

BobMac

Post by BobMac »

As much as I love stelvins, and as much as I value this book, I can't help but have the feeling that this book is 'preaching to the converted'. To many times the argument is settled with a quote such as "This is not a fact, but a misconception" only to be followed by NO evidence as to why this is the case.

Maybe I wish that this book was written in a more scientifical sense. That is, instead of quoting Jeff Grosset as saying 'the variablity of oxygen ingress through a cork varies by a factor of 1000' I would be happier to see the actually source that this infomation was gathered from. I am not calling Grosset nor Tyson a lier, nor am I saying the infomation isn't true, but statements like that need to be backed by references to real scientific data/journals/books etc.

Again, maybe I am a little pickey, or maybe this book was designed from a more casual read, who knows!

Tyson

Post by Tyson »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your kind words. It's good to see screw caps getting the exposure that they deserve in the media at the moment.

Around 1150 copies of "Screwed for good?" have been sold now. Only 1000 were printed, so the back orders for the second print run are piling up! I'm pretty happy with this, as it was never intended to be a high-volume consumer publication. Interestingly, and significantly, a large number are going overseas, particularly to New Zealand and the US.

BobMac, I agree with you that the book lacks empirical data. This fact was also pointed out by one of my reviewers before the book was printed. I purposely left it out because, unlike much of the rest of the material presented, it has already been published. There are plenty of graphs and statistics relating to screw cap performance in publications such as The Australian and New Zealand Grapegrower and Winemaker, spanning four decades. I figured that reproducing these would be superfluous and would over-complicate a publication that is in some ways already too long. Hence I purposely avoided the figures wherever possible (a challenge for a maths teacher!). ; )

James Halliday said to me recently that he thought it "a very good book" but "you could have said the same thing in half as many words." And I tend to agree.

Book three will be out in November (but that's all I have to say about that at the moment).

Cheers everyone,

Tyson

SueNZ

Post by SueNZ »

Tyson wrote:Hi everyone,

....... Interestingly, and significantly, a large number are going overseas, particularly to New Zealand ........

Tyson

Hi Tyson, I did a feature on the book in a new industry magazine here called 'FoodService'. I'll e-mail you the article sometime. Had a good-sized pic of your book cover, cribbed off your website. Don't know if this had any affect on sales. Also the NZ Screwcap Initiative sent out copies to media types, so this should have encouraged a few more articles to be written.

Cheers,
Sue