Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
mjs

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by mjs »

phillisc wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:49 pm Wondered why you were not at the wine centre... will post notes.
Must look up the waygu...not heard of that one.
Happy birthday Malcolm
Cheers Craig
Yes, it was unfortunate that Friday’s celebration clashed with the Coonawarra Roadshow, unintentional, but unavoidable in the end, there’s always next year I guess.
Meat was from Dulwich Butchery.
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

Con J

Post by Con J »

Happy birthday Malcolm.
Looks like some nice drinking and eating.

Cheers Con.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

2023 Pewsey Vale Eden Valley Estate Riesling
This has to be one of their best releases yet. Florals, lime, lemon balm, talc and other stone minerals.
The balance is impeccable, not overly acidic and a hint of residual sugar that just adds to the complexity.
Those Eden Valley lime's are just singing, some nice herbal aspects, and those white blossom orchard flowers are just lovely.
The bottle went quickly and the wife asked for another.... which we didnt have and i will have to rectify today.
Probably the best $20 rizza going around at the moment,

I Love Shiraz

Post by I Love Shiraz »

Rossco wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:20 am 2023 Pewsey Vale Eden Valley Estate Riesling
This has to be one of their best releases yet. Florals, lime, lemon balm, talc and other stone minerals.
The balance is impeccable, not overly acidic and a hint of residual sugar that just adds to the complexity.
Those Eden Valley lime's are just singing, some nice herbal aspects, and those white blossom orchard flowers are just lovely.
The bottle went quickly and the wife asked for another.... which we didnt have and i will have to rectify today.
Great note Rossco. I need to grab a bottle to try. It is a wine I consistently purchase, and have a couple of vintages in the cellar.
Life is too short to drink rubbish wine.

Instagram: wine.by.michael

WineRick

Post by WineRick »

I Love Shiraz wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:52 pm
Rossco wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:20 am 2023 Pewsey Vale Eden Valley Estate Riesling
Great note Rossco. I need to grab a bottle to try. It is a wine I consistently purchase, and have a couple of vintages in the cellar.
Agree. Had my first bottle of a 6-pack Friday - finished rest Sat. Stunning wine for the price.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

I buy it every year but never cellar. It's always been one of those wines i just drink. I do have a lot of their 1961 blocks in the cellar but that's about it.

WineRick

Post by WineRick »

Rossco wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:04 pm

I buy it every year but never cellar. It's always been one of those wines i just drink. I do have a lot of their 1961 blocks in the cellar but that's about it.
Likewise. The 1961 block is the one for lengthy cellaring, but that's not to say the regular '23 Pewsey will impress with a few years in a quiet, cool spot.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

WineRick wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:06 pm
Likewise. The 1961 block is the one for lengthy cellaring, but that's not to say the regular '23 Pewsey will impress with a few years in a quiet, cool spot.
After how good it was, it's not staying in my house for long 😁

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Another wine night back at the end of July – I have finally caught up on my notes!

Theme was "20th Century Open" ie any wine from any region Prior to 2000 vintage.

What a great theme, albeit a risky one with corks, storage and faulty bottles of wines over 23 years old.
First time we have tried this, so lets hope it’s a good one.

As always all wines served blind:

Wine # 1 (Starter) – 2012 Champagne Assailly ‘A’ Avize Grand Cru
Nice colour, light gold, good persistent bead. Looks to have a touch of age on it, maybe 06 or 08 just by the colour. Bready nose, lots of yeast and interestingly some powdered ginger spice. More on that later, but I get the feeling I was the only one on the table getting ginger notes on the nose.
Candy/Fairy floss sweetness as well, some autolysis and aldehyde characters and a slight touch of ox, not in a bad way, clearly a style thing and maker/house influence trying to add some complexity.
On the palate its very dry, lots of champagne lemony acid, runs though the palate. Chalky minerals, the wine feels older as well, so I’m 2008 or earlier. Wrong on this age, looks and tastes older, but it’s the style not the wine. Some on the table really don’t like the style, I don’t mind it. Doesn’t play by the rules, its not a big house – I choose grower – has some interesting characters but it is a divisive style. Not anywhere near as bad as Jacques Selosse mind you!
Broad palate is a little simple fruit wise, lemons, citrus and grapefruit. Don’t think it’s a Grand Cru, just doesn’t have the fruit power or quality I feel for a GC…… lol wrong again. Bubbles evaporated very quickly, and it went flat while in the glass. Length was ok as well, but overall, a little disappointing for what it is.

Wine # 2 – 1990 Bredif Grande Annee Vouvray
Yellow gold in colour, no blurring or discolouration. As this is on theme, I cant believe it’s a minimum of 23 years old. Colour is wonderful in that sense. Nose has some pine needle, nettles, tropical fruits; guava especially, but the nose is muted. Some people think it may have some slight TCA, and there is a robust discussion about that, I cant see TCA so I’m in the no camp, BUT its not a powerful nose so I get the confusion.
Sweet residual sugar on the palate. You can taste the sweetness and its quite prominent. Luckily there is enough acid to carry the sugar and hold it in place. There isn’t any Rhone characters here, its not a white bdx or burgundy. Intriguing wine it could be Alsace, but I’m in Vouvray. This feels like and old chenin Blanc…. Got one right!
There is a caramelised sugar note in the mouth too, like the top of a crème brulee, touch of honey and spice as well. Lovely length and the mouthfeel is rounded and soft yet silky. All secondary characters in the wine, fruit has faded somewhat but such a lovely experience. This is what perfectly aged whites should be all about. History in a glass.

Wine # 3 – 1999 Bouchard Pere & Fils Bonnes – Mares Grand Cru
Lovley colour here, brick red without being blurry at all. I have had much younger wines that don’t look anywhere near as good as this. Colour fills me with confidence.
Nose has lots of earth, liquorice and red berries, lovely perfume here.
Gravelly tannins, this has some huge structure. Acid is perfect, not intrusive at all and this is all about the Tannin, it’s the star here. I’m in Gevrey because of those tannins. Fruit is there but takes a backseat to the structure. Yes there is some forest floor, mushroom and red current fruit. Violet/Purple florals with a wonderful length and I think it’s the 1996 vintage. Powerful wine and quite surprised its Bonnes Mares. Beautiful wine needs food – screaming for some roast duck. Will still live for a while, I don’t think it will improve, but its won’t fall over anytime soon. Fantastic example of aged Burg.

Wine # 4 – 1994 Moss Wood Special Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
Colour is a very deep and dark red. Again, no blurring or bricking at all. Defies the themed age, and from the colour its in impeccable condition. So far we are 3 for 3 – With this theme I was thinking an over 25% failure rate.
Nose has heady notes of cedar, cassis, mint, and capsicum. I’m immediately in Bordeaux varietals, lots of fruit on the nose, so I don think its French just on that fruity nose. Not over ripe fruits though, perfectly judged ripeness.
Some very large and dry tannin, and now I’m confused. Has new world fruit with a Bordeaux structure… then the acid comes in and its new world. So that’s what I choose.
More perfectly ripe fruits in the mouth, fruit weight in this wine is huge. Young and powerful fruits, belies the age. More mint, cassis, black olives, green capsicum, cedar, and cigar box… sensational wine here.
When I get capsicum on both the nose and the palate, it leads me to Margaret River, it’s missing the clay/terrarossa earth of Coonawarra, so its not from there. Defiantly not a generic red label SA red or Barossa/Clare/Eden Cab, so I strike that off the list. Could be Vic but its just too good. I pick it as an Old Moss Wood. Never seen this Special Reserve Label before, apparently the 1994 vintage was the very last vintage of this wine. Pity as this is such a special wine. Australian history and brings a tear of joy to my eye. This is what wine is all about and why you fall in love with collecting.

Wine # 5 – 1986 Wynns Coonawarra Estate John Riddoch Cabernet Sauvignon
Another amazing colour here – no blurring and again a deep dark red. Slightly different to the previous bottle; same same but different.
Nose has a prominent spearmint character straight out of the glass. There is a red clay/red earth character on the nose as well, very different to the previous wine. This has some very dry fruit in the mouth, red currents, blackcurrants, purple fruits as well. This feels young as well, but not as young as the Moss Wood, I think mid – late 90’s. Wonderful condition actually spectacular condition. Bright and youthful fruit, regional herbs, more mint and dusty tannin…. and there is that terracotta red clay character in the mouth. 100% Coonawarra with that terrarossa and spearmint. Not Bordeaux or USA – I guess blind 1996 John Riddock …. Lol only 10 years off! Holy Moley what a wine. One of the first vintage of JR – by memory 1982 was the first?

Wine # 6.1 – Left Glass – 1997 Craiglee Shiraz
I cant believe this evening, for wines that are so old, there has been a theme of perfect colour and perfectly cellared wines. This is no different and that colour is a deep purple. Not bright but no bricking or blurring. Get a nose of this! HUGE cool climate shiraz notes. Lots of white pepper, lots of herbs and very blue fruits. Blueberries and spice. Reminds me of an aged Mt Langi Girhan – especially the 1999 vintage, so that’s what I think it is. Nice acid and tannin, playing a wonderful structural supporting role to those fruits…. And the fruit is SO good. Ultra-high quality, prominent and powerful. It’s a delight.

Wine # 6.2 – Right Glass – 1996 Craiglee Shiraz
Now here we have a completely different wine. Dark red, but not as dark as the left glass. This looks younger and brighter as well. Different fruit profile. Doesn’t have the cool climate Grampians notes that the left has. This is black cracked pepper, softer red fruits and softer tannin. Dark strawberry fruit, black currants and red currents, more spices and dried herbs to finish.
I feel we could be in the same state and same grape variety (ie Vic Shiraz) and that’s the commonality
Of the two wines. Well I couldn’t be more wrong. Same maker, same vineyard same everything just ONE year vintage difference. WOW – Astonishing and a wonderful example of vintage variation; couldn’t have two more different wines.

Wine # 7 – 1996 Bests Great Western Thomson Family Shiraz

Another clear and bright red colour. This has a youthful brightness to it. Quality and storage are excellent. No blurring or bricking. Nose has a spicy and peppery note to it. Lots of purple/black fruits, but again its that spice and pepper that leads me to another Victorian Shiraz. Cooler climate but missing that white pepper note of the Grampians, I don’t think it’s a Langhi. Prominent, spiky acid more than the Craiglee. This is still so primary; so young. Oak is way too heavy and distracting at the moment; overpowering unfortunately those wonderful fruits. Very good length, texture is quite mouth filling, it is all encompassing full bodied wine, but it just has too much acid and oak at this point. Not even nearly ready, put away for another 5-10 years
Bottle # 1873 of 4200, so not a huge production run.

Wine # 8 – 1992 Bests Great Western Thomson Family Shiraz
Dark red in the glass, with purple tinges and a purple rim….. another ridiculous young looking wine.
Nose is slightly muted, im wondering if it was just opened and needs a bit of air. Nose is spicy though, and don’t tell me we have another Victorian shiraz? Its what im smelling in the glass again. Similar to the last wine, but different. This has a lot of purple flowers in it, especially violets but some dried herb notes as well. Peppery in the mouth, im guessing another Bests but different vintage. It’s a medium weight wine, not delicate but quite feminine with all that purple perfume. Some dark cherry fruit, back currents and red currents. The oak is perfectly balanced and not over the top, its allowing those fruits to show off. Length is very nice, good wine.

Wine # 9 – 1998 Chateau Troplong Mondot St Emilion Grand Cru

I love the colour of this wine, dark purple turning into a blackcurrant type thing. Its glistening and shining in the glass. Smells of Bordeaux, lots of cassis, cigar box and cedar. Fresh Tobacco on the nose too, fruit is a touch subdued in the glass for now.
The palate is showing lots of graphite and charcoal type minerals. This is a hugely structured wine tannins are dominant, but somehow makes the wine. The fruit is up to the task of taming those grainy tannins, which are 100% French. Question is right bank or left bank……… I think this is a merlot based wine, so im right bank. Fruit is very rich now, lots of plums, mulberries and more blackcurrants. This is again so youthful, nice dryness here but its only just starting to come out of its shell, would have been a beast on release. Even now it needs another 10 years minimum, decanting a must. Cracking wine, an easy buy.

Wine # 10 – 1998 Isole e Olena Cepparello

Lovley colour in the glass here, different to the others this is a clear cherry red. Translucent in the glass, shows no signs of bricking or blurring Surely this isn’t 20+ years old… the colour is just too young.
Nose is a bit off putting though, not sure if this was decanted or popped and poured. Has a sulphur / eggy nose that is ‘pungent’ putting it nicely, Lets hope it blows off with a bit of air.
The palate has some huge tannin, old world tannin at that. We are definitely not in Kansas anymore. Bright red fruits, pure fruited wine. Lots of cherry and cranberry fruits, redcurrants with some Tuscan dried herbs, no oak in sight, this is all about the red fruit. Slap in the face tannins that makes you sit up – astounding wine that is drinking superbly right now. Probably the best Cepparello I have had.

Wine # 11 – 1999 Houghton Jack Mann Cabernet Sauvignon Malbec – Franklin River WA

Bright purple rim with a dark/black core. This looks very youthful, silky looking wine like the Troplong, this is bright and shining but with a different deeper, darker colour. Smells so primary and fresh, kind of like a barrel sample. This is a full bodied wine with everything going on, like a Christmas Turkey Lunch with all the trimmings. Huge, dense, powerful core of black fruits; blackberry, cassis, touch of capsicum and cedar. Unbelievable power in here, no one (including myself) can believe it’s a 24 year old wine, belies its age, so young it could easily be a barrel sample. Lots of oak, actually too much oak at this point, and its dominating the wine. Nice acid that gives balance, beautiful tannin structure albeit again a bit too prominent. Big fruit, big tannins and even bigger oak – this is so thick it’s a meal in itself. Demands food, will live forever. Has another 40 years in it cork permitting (which was a marvel in itself – tiny purple disk at the very end, no signs of staining or leaking) – this is why we love wines - Drank too young

Wine # 12- 1994 Stanton & Killeen Vintage Port
Red rim, leading into a dark purple black core in colour.
Nose has marzipan, almond and orange peel notes. Hints of ocean spray / sea salt and dark fruits. Smells Australian with those lifted fruits, wonderful nose.
In the mouth the first thing that hits you is that spirit, it’s a bit hot and sits above the wine, needs more integration. Black fruits, dark plums and mulberry. Liquorice and some really ethereal baking spices, black and green peppers, this has to be majority shiraz in its make up. Lovely length and mouthfeel is silky once you get over that spirit, my only quibble.

Great ending

mjs

Post by mjs »

Rossco,

What a fabulous tasting, wish I could have been there, the wines would be perfectly in my wheelhouse.

cheers, Malcolm
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

mjs wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:49 pm Rossco,

What a fabulous tasting, wish I could have been there, the wines would be perfectly in my wheelhouse.

cheers, Malcolm
+1 Rossco, average back up, 5 of the wines are in the cellar. Yes '82 was first JR.
Looks like a fabulous line up.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

cheers, Malcolm
You would have loved it and are always welcome anytime you are down our way mate.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

phillisc wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:03 pm

cheers, Malcolm
+1 Rossco, average back up, 5 of the wines are in the cellar. Yes '82 was first JR.
Looks like a fabulous line up.
Cheers Craig
It was amazing really, especially given the condition of all the wines and no cork failures.

I couldnt pick wine of the night they were all that good. Another rarity as usually one stands out pretty easily.

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

I’ve kept a cache of Craiglee from the 80’s and 90’s figuring they go a bit longer than many expect. Of course there’s the famous yarn of the 100 year old Craiglee’s drinking well into the 1970’s.

“ Fast forward fifty years, when Patrick Carmody, an ag science student, was working on his family farm on the site of the old Craiglee vineyard. In 1972, a number of Johnston’s 1872 Hermitage bottles were opened at a function in Melbourne. John Brown Sr. of Brown Brothers happened to be at the dinner, and was so impressed by the 100-year-old vintage that he decided to visit the Sunbury site to see if it still existed. He encountered young Pat at the farm and suggested he consider replanting on the site – there was something special about this place. Not just its history, but its terroir, which proved ideal for growing cool-climate wines. ”

From the Craiglee website.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Yes indeed, still a few bottles from each of the 1990-2002 vintages. Tempted to get a few 2019s.
Was there not also a dinner that Len Evans organised where former PM Malcolm Fraser was invited, in the 80s. Proclaiming he would bring a 72 much to the annoyance of the host. The reply was yes Len a 72... an 1872!

Wonderful wines, been 25 years since I have visited, must do again.
Cheers Craig

I Love Shiraz

Post by I Love Shiraz »

Rossco wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:43 pm Another wine night back at the end of July – I have finally caught up on my notes!

Theme was "20th Century Open" ie any wine from any region Prior to 2000 vintage.

What a great theme, albeit a risky one with corks, storage and faulty bottles of wines over 23 years old.
First time we have tried this, so lets hope it’s a good one.

As always all wines served blind:

Wine # 1 (Starter) – 2012 Champagne Assailly ‘A’ Avize Grand Cru
Nice colour, light gold, good persistent bead. Looks to have a touch of age on it, maybe 06 or 08 just by the colour. Bready nose, lots of yeast and interestingly some powdered ginger spice. More on that later, but I get the feeling I was the only one on the table getting ginger notes on the nose.
Candy/Fairy floss sweetness as well, some autolysis and aldehyde characters and a slight touch of ox, not in a bad way, clearly a style thing and maker/house influence trying to add some complexity.
On the palate its very dry, lots of champagne lemony acid, runs though the palate. Chalky minerals, the wine feels older as well, so I’m 2008 or earlier. Wrong on this age, looks and tastes older, but it’s the style not the wine. Some on the table really don’t like the style, I don’t mind it. Doesn’t play by the rules, its not a big house – I choose grower – has some interesting characters but it is a divisive style. Not anywhere near as bad as Jacques Selosse mind you!
Broad palate is a little simple fruit wise, lemons, citrus and grapefruit. Don’t think it’s a Grand Cru, just doesn’t have the fruit power or quality I feel for a GC…… lol wrong again. Bubbles evaporated very quickly, and it went flat while in the glass. Length was ok as well, but overall, a little disappointing for what it is.

Wine # 2 – 1990 Bredif Grande Annee Vouvray
Yellow gold in colour, no blurring or discolouration. As this is on theme, I cant believe it’s a minimum of 23 years old. Colour is wonderful in that sense. Nose has some pine needle, nettles, tropical fruits; guava especially, but the nose is muted. Some people think it may have some slight TCA, and there is a robust discussion about that, I cant see TCA so I’m in the no camp, BUT its not a powerful nose so I get the confusion.
Sweet residual sugar on the palate. You can taste the sweetness and its quite prominent. Luckily there is enough acid to carry the sugar and hold it in place. There isn’t any Rhone characters here, its not a white bdx or burgundy. Intriguing wine it could be Alsace, but I’m in Vouvray. This feels like and old chenin Blanc…. Got one right!
There is a caramelised sugar note in the mouth too, like the top of a crème brulee, touch of honey and spice as well. Lovely length and the mouthfeel is rounded and soft yet silky. All secondary characters in the wine, fruit has faded somewhat but such a lovely experience. This is what perfectly aged whites should be all about. History in a glass.

Wine # 3 – 1999 Bouchard Pere & Fils Bonnes – Mares Grand Cru
Lovley colour here, brick red without being blurry at all. I have had much younger wines that don’t look anywhere near as good as this. Colour fills me with confidence.
Nose has lots of earth, liquorice and red berries, lovely perfume here.
Gravelly tannins, this has some huge structure. Acid is perfect, not intrusive at all and this is all about the Tannin, it’s the star here. I’m in Gevrey because of those tannins. Fruit is there but takes a backseat to the structure. Yes there is some forest floor, mushroom and red current fruit. Violet/Purple florals with a wonderful length and I think it’s the 1996 vintage. Powerful wine and quite surprised its Bonnes Mares. Beautiful wine needs food – screaming for some roast duck. Will still live for a while, I don’t think it will improve, but its won’t fall over anytime soon. Fantastic example of aged Burg.

Wine # 4 – 1994 Moss Wood Special Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
Colour is a very deep and dark red. Again, no blurring or bricking at all. Defies the themed age, and from the colour its in impeccable condition. So far we are 3 for 3 – With this theme I was thinking an over 25% failure rate.
Nose has heady notes of cedar, cassis, mint, and capsicum. I’m immediately in Bordeaux varietals, lots of fruit on the nose, so I don think its French just on that fruity nose. Not over ripe fruits though, perfectly judged ripeness.
Some very large and dry tannin, and now I’m confused. Has new world fruit with a Bordeaux structure… then the acid comes in and its new world. So that’s what I choose.
More perfectly ripe fruits in the mouth, fruit weight in this wine is huge. Young and powerful fruits, belies the age. More mint, cassis, black olives, green capsicum, cedar, and cigar box… sensational wine here.
When I get capsicum on both the nose and the palate, it leads me to Margaret River, it’s missing the clay/terrarossa earth of Coonawarra, so its not from there. Defiantly not a generic red label SA red or Barossa/Clare/Eden Cab, so I strike that off the list. Could be Vic but its just too good. I pick it as an Old Moss Wood. Never seen this Special Reserve Label before, apparently the 1994 vintage was the very last vintage of this wine. Pity as this is such a special wine. Australian history and brings a tear of joy to my eye. This is what wine is all about and why you fall in love with collecting.

Wine # 5 – 1986 Wynns Coonawarra Estate John Riddoch Cabernet Sauvignon
Another amazing colour here – no blurring and again a deep dark red. Slightly different to the previous bottle; same same but different.
Nose has a prominent spearmint character straight out of the glass. There is a red clay/red earth character on the nose as well, very different to the previous wine. This has some very dry fruit in the mouth, red currents, blackcurrants, purple fruits as well. This feels young as well, but not as young as the Moss Wood, I think mid – late 90’s. Wonderful condition actually spectacular condition. Bright and youthful fruit, regional herbs, more mint and dusty tannin…. and there is that terracotta red clay character in the mouth. 100% Coonawarra with that terrarossa and spearmint. Not Bordeaux or USA – I guess blind 1996 John Riddock …. Lol only 10 years off! Holy Moley what a wine. One of the first vintage of JR – by memory 1982 was the first?

Wine # 6.1 – Left Glass – 1997 Craiglee Shiraz
I cant believe this evening, for wines that are so old, there has been a theme of perfect colour and perfectly cellared wines. This is no different and that colour is a deep purple. Not bright but no bricking or blurring. Get a nose of this! HUGE cool climate shiraz notes. Lots of white pepper, lots of herbs and very blue fruits. Blueberries and spice. Reminds me of an aged Mt Langi Girhan – especially the 1999 vintage, so that’s what I think it is. Nice acid and tannin, playing a wonderful structural supporting role to those fruits…. And the fruit is SO good. Ultra-high quality, prominent and powerful. It’s a delight.

Wine # 6.2 – Right Glass – 1996 Craiglee Shiraz
Now here we have a completely different wine. Dark red, but not as dark as the left glass. This looks younger and brighter as well. Different fruit profile. Doesn’t have the cool climate Grampians notes that the left has. This is black cracked pepper, softer red fruits and softer tannin. Dark strawberry fruit, black currants and red currents, more spices and dried herbs to finish.
I feel we could be in the same state and same grape variety (ie Vic Shiraz) and that’s the commonality
Of the two wines. Well I couldn’t be more wrong. Same maker, same vineyard same everything just ONE year vintage difference. WOW – Astonishing and a wonderful example of vintage variation; couldn’t have two more different wines.

Wine # 7 – 1996 Bests Great Western Thomson Family Shiraz

Another clear and bright red colour. This has a youthful brightness to it. Quality and storage are excellent. No blurring or bricking. Nose has a spicy and peppery note to it. Lots of purple/black fruits, but again its that spice and pepper that leads me to another Victorian Shiraz. Cooler climate but missing that white pepper note of the Grampians, I don’t think it’s a Langhi. Prominent, spiky acid more than the Craiglee. This is still so primary; so young. Oak is way too heavy and distracting at the moment; overpowering unfortunately those wonderful fruits. Very good length, texture is quite mouth filling, it is all encompassing full bodied wine, but it just has too much acid and oak at this point. Not even nearly ready, put away for another 5-10 years
Bottle # 1873 of 4200, so not a huge production run.

Wine # 8 – 1992 Bests Great Western Thomson Family Shiraz
Dark red in the glass, with purple tinges and a purple rim….. another ridiculous young looking wine.
Nose is slightly muted, im wondering if it was just opened and needs a bit of air. Nose is spicy though, and don’t tell me we have another Victorian shiraz? Its what im smelling in the glass again. Similar to the last wine, but different. This has a lot of purple flowers in it, especially violets but some dried herb notes as well. Peppery in the mouth, im guessing another Bests but different vintage. It’s a medium weight wine, not delicate but quite feminine with all that purple perfume. Some dark cherry fruit, back currents and red currents. The oak is perfectly balanced and not over the top, its allowing those fruits to show off. Length is very nice, good wine.

Wine # 9 – 1998 Chateau Troplong Mondot St Emilion Grand Cru

I love the colour of this wine, dark purple turning into a blackcurrant type thing. Its glistening and shining in the glass. Smells of Bordeaux, lots of cassis, cigar box and cedar. Fresh Tobacco on the nose too, fruit is a touch subdued in the glass for now.
The palate is showing lots of graphite and charcoal type minerals. This is a hugely structured wine tannins are dominant, but somehow makes the wine. The fruit is up to the task of taming those grainy tannins, which are 100% French. Question is right bank or left bank……… I think this is a merlot based wine, so im right bank. Fruit is very rich now, lots of plums, mulberries and more blackcurrants. This is again so youthful, nice dryness here but its only just starting to come out of its shell, would have been a beast on release. Even now it needs another 10 years minimum, decanting a must. Cracking wine, an easy buy.

Wine # 10 – 1998 Isole e Olena Cepparello

Lovley colour in the glass here, different to the others this is a clear cherry red. Translucent in the glass, shows no signs of bricking or blurring Surely this isn’t 20+ years old… the colour is just too young.
Nose is a bit off putting though, not sure if this was decanted or popped and poured. Has a sulphur / eggy nose that is ‘pungent’ putting it nicely, Lets hope it blows off with a bit of air.
The palate has some huge tannin, old world tannin at that. We are definitely not in Kansas anymore. Bright red fruits, pure fruited wine. Lots of cherry and cranberry fruits, redcurrants with some Tuscan dried herbs, no oak in sight, this is all about the red fruit. Slap in the face tannins that makes you sit up – astounding wine that is drinking superbly right now. Probably the best Cepparello I have had.

Wine # 11 – 1999 Houghton Jack Mann Cabernet Sauvignon Malbec – Franklin River WA

Bright purple rim with a dark/black core. This looks very youthful, silky looking wine like the Troplong, this is bright and shining but with a different deeper, darker colour. Smells so primary and fresh, kind of like a barrel sample. This is a full bodied wine with everything going on, like a Christmas Turkey Lunch with all the trimmings. Huge, dense, powerful core of black fruits; blackberry, cassis, touch of capsicum and cedar. Unbelievable power in here, no one (including myself) can believe it’s a 24 year old wine, belies its age, so young it could easily be a barrel sample. Lots of oak, actually too much oak at this point, and its dominating the wine. Nice acid that gives balance, beautiful tannin structure albeit again a bit too prominent. Big fruit, big tannins and even bigger oak – this is so thick it’s a meal in itself. Demands food, will live forever. Has another 40 years in it cork permitting (which was a marvel in itself – tiny purple disk at the very end, no signs of staining or leaking) – this is why we love wines - Drank too young

Wine # 12- 1994 Stanton & Killeen Vintage Port
Red rim, leading into a dark purple black core in colour.
Nose has marzipan, almond and orange peel notes. Hints of ocean spray / sea salt and dark fruits. Smells Australian with those lifted fruits, wonderful nose.
In the mouth the first thing that hits you is that spirit, it’s a bit hot and sits above the wine, needs more integration. Black fruits, dark plums and mulberry. Liquorice and some really ethereal baking spices, black and green peppers, this has to be majority shiraz in its make up. Lovely length and mouthfeel is silky once you get over that spirit, my only quibble.

Great ending
I remember some years ago going to Craiglee's cellar door and tasting the 1997. Pat Carmody commented he wasn't such a fan of the 1997 Shiraz. He likes to make his Shiraz in a more elegant style. The 1997 is atypical for Craiglee Shiraz, being a more full-bodied style.
Life is too short to drink rubbish wine.

Instagram: wine.by.michael

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

Brilliant line up and notes. Thanks for sharing.

Definitely right in my wheelhouse too.

Cheers Ex

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

2008 Pierre Peters Les Chetillons… wow, just wow. This is a rockstar. Lifted floral and citrus on the nose and citrus fruits on the palate with a length that is simply stunning . Lots of saline and minerality on the finish. This is what a great, albeit young, BdB champagne looks like. Much better than the 02 and 96.

Andrew Jordan

Post by Andrew Jordan »

Mike Hawkins wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:52 pm 2008 Pierre Peters Les Chetillons… wow, just wow. This is a rockstar. Lifted floral and citrus on the nose and citrus fruits on the palate with a length that is simply stunning . Lots of saline and minerality on the finish. This is what a great, albeit young, BdB champagne looks like. Much better than the 02 and 96.
Thanks for the note ... glad I have a few of these in the cellar. I assume no rush to drink?
Cheers
AJ

Cabernet is ... and will always be ... KING!

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Andrew Jordan wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:26 am
Mike Hawkins wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:52 pm 2008 Pierre Peters Les Chetillons… wow, just wow. This is a rockstar. Lifted floral and citrus on the nose and citrus fruits on the palate with a length that is simply stunning . Lots of saline and minerality on the finish. This is what a great, albeit young, BdB champagne looks like. Much better than the 02 and 96.
Thanks for the note ... glad I have a few of these in the cellar. I assume no rush to drink?
Any idea who sells/stocks in Australia?

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Andrew…. At least 20 years left.

Rossco…. Prince Wine brings them in. They don’t get much… and even less of Montjolys. I went long on the 08 but had to source them from Prince, The winery (Rudolph only allowed me to buy a six pack and a few mags) and a UK broker, as seemingly no one gets reasonable volume

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

Had this last week. A stunning wine, just entering its zone and a good future ahead of it. Red fruits, silky tannins, great length and balance, perfumed nose. Lovely.

I saw the 2021 win the Shiraz of the year with Halliday. Didn’t get any of that vintage but have had a few over the journey and think it’s a good wine for the price point.

Cheers Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

I don’t think there is any point denying that Riesling and Chardonnay are at the top of the pile when it comes to Auz whites. After that though ? Semillon does well in a few areas, I’ve had great Roussane and Masrsanne (and blends of, Sauv Blanc can hit the highs, but I’d put forward Pinot Gris as a contender for the 3rd spot on the podium. Quealy make some lovely stuff and last night I finished off a 2016 Musk Creek. It’s a put on weight since it’s youth and has plenty of that oily texture that you get in top versions through the world. Some ginger tinged minerality and plenty of acidity. Yum.

Opened my first of the 2022 Agricola wines on Friday. Bought 3 of each and by chance this was the Flaxman. Not as immediately lush as the previous vintage, but it’s probably the better wine, with a lot more complexity. Still plenty of dark cherry fruit, but it started to develop a chalky finish last night and i think this is going to show well in the future, if you can keep your hands off.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

I was involved with a tasting late last week across a number of varieties and regions. For me, an absolute stand out was the 2021 Shaw & Smith M3 Chardonnay - it is stunning. The finesse, balance and length blew a number of tasters away. I am not a huge chardonnay drinker, but I took the remnants of the bottle and enjoyed the following evening.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

mychurch wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:00 am I don’t think there is any point denying that Riesling and Chardonnay are at the top of the pile when it comes to Auz whites.
Difficult to argue against Chardonnay being at the top (for Aussie whites), but I'd say it can also be near the bottom with some of the crude commercial offerings. Much harder to find a riesling that isn't enjoyable, and whilst 2-3 have disappointed, I can't think of any that weren't still drinkable and offering some pleasure.

What I do trust the fringes of the Aussie wine scene to do though, is to continue to explore other grapes, seeking a strong match between grape and terroir.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

A wine event held at the end of August.

Theme was 'Open' - so bring any wine from anywhere in the world

As always, all wines served masked/blind

Wine # 1 – 2012 Domaine De Chevalier Bordeaux Blanc Grand Cru
Lighter Yellow gold with a tinge of green, pretty striking colour – gleaming. Nose has lots of yellow peach, stone fruits, slatey minerals, green grass and some waxy honeycomb. Quite complex nose, lots going on.
Lovely fruit richness in the glass, some tropical notes and more yellow peaches. Some honeysuckle, almond meal and very textural. Silky texture with the length to match, sensational wine, rolls around the mouth, acid in perfect balance, not a heap of oak and if anything winemaker is letting the fruit and vineyard shine. As this is served blind/masked, strangely everyone picked this as chardonnay. I bought this wine in particular for one member who introduced me to the glory of White Bdx….and even he didn’t pick it. I can see the confusion, and why they picked it as chardonnay but I question if I would have done the same. Admittedly doesn’t taste like the usual Sav B/Sem. Audible shock came over the table when revealed as white bdx. Its why I love these nights, very educational wine. I love a good white bdx - Early contender for wine of the night already!
76% Sav / 24% Sem.

Wine # 2 – 2015 Dr Loosen Erdener Pralat Reserve Alte Reben (Mosel Troken)

Another light yellow gold in colour, but no greening/edges. Petroleum jelly, citrus and a very floral nose. Lots of white flowers, beautiful nose, I dive deep into the glass and am handsomely rewarded.
Quite dry yet perfectly balanced, very hard to achieve with a Riesling, and it is a Riesling, but really only question is Alsace or Germany…. I picked Alsace as I thought it was missing the German Acid and it was a bit higher in alcohol than I’m used to from Germany. Oh how wrong I was. There is some residual sugar in here too. More citrus in a candied lime/lemon style, length is just sublime, really opening up in the glass, orchard white flowers, some really wet talc minerals as well, texture is more of a fuller bodied style but that balance just makes the wine. Fantastic – cherry popped – more please. Bottle # 554 – Tiny Production
Amazing label, striking and just beautiful. Hunt this wine out- just don’t look at the price - another wine of the night contender ... what a start, 2 from 2 amazing wines.

Wine # 3 – 2001 Castillo Ygay Gran Reserva Especial

Dark red with tinges of brown. Its blurry and bricking, and hopefully has a bit of age on it……looks like a very old wine in the 30-40 year range…. otherwise it could be faulty. No such worries when the nose gets plonked in the glass. Rich, ripe fruit from seemingly warmer region. Sweet fruit too, this has lots of tar, black fruits, spice. It feels old world, and either Rhone Varieties or Spanish…. As I don’t really like Spanish wines, I pick this as Spain (its not talking to me) . Everyone else chooses Rhone – so im the only one who is correct, but not for any other reason than its not my style.
For me it’s a little rustic and provincial, way older than it should be. Others really enjoyed it, but its not for me, tipped out the remaining wine.
93% Tempranillo / 7% Mazuelo (100% American oak)
Bottle # 836,679 – quite a large production run!

Wine # 4 - Domaine Marquis D’Angerville Volnay Champans
Striking colour here, bright cherry red, with a slightly darker core. Translucent and clear in the glass, you see the tablecloth the glass is sitting on. Love this colour, so striking.
Very aromatic, perfume leaping out of the glass. Lots of red fruits, cherry, cranberry, raspberry with some liquorice, purple florals and in particular violets and lavender. Some lovely sandy tannins that just Slips and slides and glides across the tongue. Incredible depth of fruit here, stone minerals, some very fine acid that is perfectly judged. This is super delicate and feminine, length is extraordinary, my type of Burgundy, I’m in love. Didn’t pick this as Volnay - Big yes – could be wine of the night? Toss up between the whites and this so far. Man what a wine i need to seek this out

Wine # 5 – 2002 Seppelt St Peters Grampians Shiraz
Very dark purple almost black in colour. Light simply cannot penetrate this wine, the core is so Dark and dense.
Loads of big ripe fruit on the nose. Black liquorice, blackberries, black plums, spearmint and some black peppery spices. In the mouth it’s a fruit bomb of rich and ripe dark fruits. Not stewed though just big.
This is one of the most plush and fruit weighted wines I have had in ages, so dense its almost chewy; its a meal in itself. Its too big for me, just too full on; and not my style. Its not hot, or a Barossa shiraz, so I pick Rhone varieties, but a Victorian shiraz. I cant see any Grampians white pepper or fruit in here, its completely different to Bests or a Langhi, so could be Rutherglen? Its painfully young and almost vinicide opening it, cannot imagine how anyone drank this on release. My understanding is there is an internal battle within the winery for the fruit, as it makes its way into the Show Reserve Sparkling. I know what I prefer and where I would be sending the fruit! This style is not for me and I tipped out the remaining wine. Revisit in another 15 years to see if it calms down…. Although I doubt it.

Wine # 6 – 2009 Domaine Follin-Arbelet Romanee-Saint Vivant Grand Cru
Ahhh we are back to medium bodied wine, this is more like it! Nice cherry red colour, not as bright as the Volnay but still clear. Here we go!
Nose is packed with beautiful red fruits, some stoney minerals with a hint of regional herbs… good start. In the mouth the acid hits you first, quite prominent, love the tannin structure here, its so dusty and dry, all sitting on the tongue. Powerful fruits, very powerful wine; can only be a GC with this power. Red cherry, raspberry with new season strawberries. Nice tartness and dryness coming through, but the acid is a tad too much at this point in its development. The good news is the fruit will eventually come out on top and if you can be patient, you will be handsomely rewarded. The future of this wine is exciting, Extraordinary quality and still just a pup.

Wine # 7 – 1995 Cullen Cabernet Merlot
Dark black cherry in colour, has some blurring and bricking and dull. Looks a bit old and tired similar to the Spanish wine. Quite an oaky nose, cigar and cedar very prominent, fruit not there at all. Not a great nose, and I immediately think it could be a Super Tuscan.
Cant pick the region at all, it feels like a cabernet but not sure, there are not any real cabernet characters. No olive, capsicum or mint. No earth, but there is oak and thats about it.... dead fruit.
Shocked to hear it’s a Margaret River – literally no regional fruits or notes here at all, no personality and really not enjoyable. Could be a wine from anywhere. Tipped (and spat) out the remaining wine. Apparently this is the wine Cullen made before renaming it’s the Diana Madelline,
Once again not my style and is exactly why I don’t buy this wine.

Wine # 8 – 1999 Bouchard Pere & Fills Le Corton Grand Cru

Cherry red colour, although a bit dull. Looks to have some age on it. No bricking or blurring. Has some musk, lavender, cherry liquor and red rope liquorice on the nose. Some Thyme and provincial herbs as well…. In the mouth there is something not quite right. Its not TCA, its not corked, its just dead and Fallen over in the glass. Tipped out.

Wine # 9 – (Back up) – 2005 Clos des Pape Chateauneuf du Pape
This is blurry and brick red in colour, fair bit of age buy the looks of it. 20+ years?
Earthy nose, deep black earth. Raisins and dates, cooked / ripe fruits as well.
Interestingly has some just cut wet green grassy notes, strange considering the dark fruits in here.
Lots of heat and alcohol on the nose, burning the nostrils . More overripe fruit – clearly Rhone. No Brett which is a huge relief. Its ok, but not really my thing or style of wine and i have no Rhone in the cellar. I can see why others enjoy it though.

Wine # 10 (Fortified) – 1982 Sevenhills Vintage Port (Clare Valley)
Lighter in colour than a usual Aussie VP. Some slight browning but otherwise a dark strawberry
Colour. This is a tough one as the colour looks to be Portuguese due to the clarity and light colour… however I’m not sure. Amaro bitters, orange rind, orange zest and a marmalade peel type note. Lots of ground almond and marzipan… has a dirty spirit in it. Now I’m in Portugal…. Lol wrong.
Silky mouthfeel, nice texture… great fruit here, some strawberry notes with biscotti at the end.
Love the length on this, great wine, good complexity AND doesn’t feel Australian even though it is. One of my first Clare VP’s. I wonder what the grape variety is!

Great ending

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Had an 05 CNP this week too. Bit big for its boots frankly. Classic styles better agers for mine. Was a La Nerthe Cuvee Cadettes. No Rhône’s at all Rossco?

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Thanks Rossco
Have a sixer of the 02 St Peters, so thanks for the note. I'm encouraged that you found it a monster, cork willing, might open one in a decade.
A similar view expressed on another forum, so no hurry to drink. I think you are also correct about the tension regarding fruit allocation. 2002 I believe, was a very small make.
A '99 that I had in 2021 was in my top 5 wines for the year...absolutely pristine Shiraz with so much depth.

Cheers Craig

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

JamieAdelaide wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:22 am Had an 05 CNP this week too. Bit big for its boots frankly. Classic styles better agers for mine. Was a La Nerthe Cuvee Cadettes. No Rhône’s at all Rossco?
I have had a few Rhones that have been really good, burgundy like type thing and thats more my preference. BUT the majority i have had have been bretty and/or just stewed/over ripe. There are some absolute stunners out there, no doubt about that.

I actually prefer the Rhone whites to the reds for some reason.
Last edited by Rossco on Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.