TN: Castello di Volpaia Chianti Classico Riserva 2019

Italy, Italian Wine, Italian Food, Travel to and within Italy ... all things Italian
Waiters Friend

TN: Castello di Volpaia Chianti Classico Riserva 2019

Post by Waiters Friend »

Found on the shelves of a local enoteca. I have the last few vintages in the cellar after visiting Volpaia in 2019 and, with 2019 being such a strong vintage in Tuscany, I was keen to try. It hasn't disappointed.

Deep crimson in colour. A mix of rich dark cherry and savoury characters on the nose, with s little cedar, dried herbs (oregano, rosemary) and a crushed spice mix (nutneg, cinnamon, maybe star anise). The palate is quite full and rich, with more of the savoury notes alongside dark cherry (perhaps with a touch of Kirsch). Long finish and excellent intensity in a wine that I would normally drink with food (but made the ultimate sacrifice to bring you this note :) )

38 Euro here in Lucca (which is what I paid at Volpaia in 2019) and available in Australia for about the same, given the appalling exchange rate AUD=Euro at present. I will be adding some to the cellar.

Cheers
Allan
20230907_180037.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Ian S

Re: TN: Castello di Volpaia Chianti Classico Riserva 2019

Post by Ian S »

:D Enoteca Vanni :D

Did you also have a dig round in their cellar?

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Ian S wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:20 am :D Enoteca Vanni :D

Did you also have a dig round in their cellar?
Of course, Ian, based on your recommendation. There was a degustazione going on in the far reaches, so did not get to see quite everything.
20230907_171828.jpg
20230907_171720.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

:)