Wendouree Mailer 2023

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Matt@5453

Wendouree Mailer 2023

Post by Matt@5453 »

2021 was a very good vintage quality and quantity wise.

A straight Mataro this year , no straight Malbec.

Shi / Mat $55
Mataro $55
Shiraz $70
Cabernet $65
Cabernet Malbec $65, im pretty sure this co-fermented
Plus muscat

JamieAdelaide

Re: Wendouree Mailer 2023

Post by JamieAdelaide »

It was mentioned on the Wine Front that they’ve dropped their prices $5 a bottle this year. Anyways, I’ve decided I buy the wine in full offer annually. What I don’t drink I’ll leave to my daughter. So many folks I know sign their kids up for the MCC waiting lists. I reckon preserving a Wendouree mailer more unique and novel. Especially since there’s an EJ Whitten Social Club membership along with it.

Alan Foo

Post by Alan Foo »

JamieAdelaide wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:20 pm It was mentioned on the Wine Front that they’ve dropped their prices $5 a bottle this year. Anyways, I’ve decided I buy the wine in full offer annually. What I don’t drink I’ll leave to my daughter. So many folks I know sign their kids up for the MCC waiting lists. I reckon preserving a Wendouree mailer more unique and novel. Especially since there’s an EJ Whitten Social Club membership along with it.
Jamie, I do agree on the preserving of Wendouree mailer. Yes, it will also be a full offer buy for me.

Alan

darellk

Post by darellk »

I applied in early '21 and after understandably missing out in '21 & '22, letter received in regional Vic today with price list and "limit of six bottles applies on each of the wines on offer" and a blank order form on the back - no markings or crayon. With funds limited I will probably try for a mixed 6 pack and see how I go.

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

Mailer just arrived today here in Perth.

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

I got mine. Moving house and money is tight, but still ordered a mixed 18 bottles. Don’t need them, don’t have the room…just an addict getting his fix. And happy with it.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

Con J

Post by Con J »

mychurch wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:18 pm I got mine. Moving house and money is tight, but still ordered a mixed 18 bottles. Don’t need them, don’t have the room…just an addict getting his fix. And happy with it.
Hi Mate.

I’ll go you half’s with you if you want :wink:

Cheers Con.

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

yeah I went all in except the sticky. think its the same as last years blend?
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Any movement from Tony and Lita? Anyone’s CC been debited at all? This seems to be the most chilled response by list members in over a decade.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Hacker, credit card for the full amount/full allocation, hit midday yesterday.

Think Wendouree hysteria has taken a cold shower, maybe due to the fact that that almost everyone will get what they wanted due to the large 2021 vintage, and or people being less caught up in the chase these days, other wines to try/buy...who knows really?
Might make things interesting next year with new customers thinking only took me a year to get anything/everything.

Anyway, enjoy the spoils everyone :wink:
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

phillisc wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:47 am Hacker, credit card for the full amount/full allocation, hit midday yesterday.

Think Wendouree hysteria has taken a cold shower, maybe due to the fact that that almost everyone will get what they wanted due to the large 2021 vintage, and or people being less caught up in the chase these days, other wines to try/buy...who knows really?
Might make things interesting next year with new customers thinking only took me a year to get anything/everything.

Anyway, enjoy the spoils everyone :wink:
Cheers Craig
I missed out last year completely. That in itself didn't really worry me. I've only been buying for 11 years. But then I see that newbies to the list were getting allocations. Kinda cheeses me off a bit that they don't have some sort of system of rewarding longer term buyers over recent devotees. I heard stories of 20+ years buyers missing out.

If I don't get my order this year, I'll probably not bother again. I have 80+ bottles in the cellar and that should do me for the next 20 years. I really only buy as it's my wife's favourite wine. There are many more great wines out there to spend the meagre wine budget on anyway. Not bitter at all, just a bit over this whole thing every year. Wife won't be too happy with me, but she'll recover when she sips a Sami Odi or Standish.

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

A_Steady

Post by A_Steady »

phillisc wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:47 am Not bitter at all,
Cheers
Ian
Life’s too short to be bitter over such a thing

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Yes don't think there's any need for bitterness, not sure i indicated that. My lad is getting a taste for Wendouree as are a few of his mates. Its a refreshing change to see 25 year olds actually having some interest in an older label, rather than chasing the latest pet nat or some other hipster brew!
Also a great inducement to start knocking them off rather than having a set of dusty keepsakes.
Agree on Sami Odi and Standish, though late to the party have purchased the last 6 vintages...wonderful and really interesting wines.

Cheers Craig

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Couple of former work colleagues flew in from Darwin. Nice to have beers and lunch at a lovely North Adelaide pub and then have a few bottles of Wendouree from one of their birth years. A 92 and 99 Wendouree Shiraz Malbec. I had a head cold but the fruit density and balance were still noticeable along with the powerful aromatics-lavender and dark fruits along with a bit of menthol I’m guessing ( felt great till this morning 😊 )

mse

Post by mse »

Sydney person here. Got my full allocation on all reds. Keen to try straight Mataro as it is like a novelty to me. :)

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

I’ll have to chase my order up. Nothing yet which is unusual for Adelaide and a black crayon.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

JamieAdelaide wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:14 pm I’ll have to chase my order up. Nothing yet which is unusual for Adelaide and a black crayon.
Hi Jamie, I would have thought you were a black initial? You, like me have ordered since the early 1990’s?
This year I got everything I asked for.

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Ever since they’ve had the phone on I seem to have to chase up lost orders every few years.

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

It’s all a bit random and different to the randomness of old evidently. I think I liked the old days where South Australia seemed a priority. Orders are still processing.

Croquet King

Post by Croquet King »

Still nothing on the card. Rang them and they said everyone orders were being cut back this year which is complete BS.
Luck of the draw for Wendouree always goes against me for some reason.

Hope everyone is well. Haven't posted for a while. Been working too hard unfortunately
I appreciate all forms of alcohol, as long as its wine.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Croquet King wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:51 pm Still nothing on the card. Rang them and they said everyone orders were being cut back this year which is complete BS.
Luck of the draw for Wendouree always goes against me for some reason.

Hope everyone is well. Haven't posted for a while. Been working too hard unfortunately
CK, it is good to see you posting again. Hope all is good.
Cheers Craig

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

My card got charged and got everything I asked for from memory. (small order this year)

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

I definitely preferred the old way. Adelaide and a black crayon saw to order filled quickly and you never had to chase things up. It’s not hard to imagine why things have changed since the phone was put on at Wendouree. If there’s money in it, people are at their most persuasive!

I had my card charged last week after having the form returned within days.

Alan Foo

Post by Alan Foo »

JamieAdelaide wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:26 pm
I had my card charged last week after having the form returned within days.
Lucky you................. :D

Alan

DJ1980

Post by DJ1980 »

No charge QLD here. Red crayon. Asked for 6 of each

Con J

Post by Con J »

Found this photo in the Australian Winebuyer’s Guide by Len Evans.

Cheers Con.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Erin Larkin has published her review of the 2021 Wendourees online. Passion personified. Great job Erin!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yYnNTzASNg&t=4s

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Thanks Hacker, had a look at this yesterday. Tempted to do same, although need to sort out how many the lad/others may want first.
Think Erin has found her groove, much better than the animated kid in a candy shop approach when reviewing the Standish releases.
I may her follow a little more closely.
Cheers Craig

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

Just picked up my order. I missed out on the Mataro unfortunately, only 200 cases produced, its all gone now.
2021 was a stellar year for Mataro hence the straight release. But none on the horizon.

Reaffirming 2022 and 2023 all wines in good quantities. They are still deciding on future straight Malbec releases.

vovo

Post by vovo »

I got charged for roughly ⅔ of what I ordered. Red crayon Qld