Aged St Henri and Yattarna

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Redav

Aged St Henri and Yattarna

Post by Redav »

Hi, it's been many bottles between posts and it's great to see the forum's alive and kicking.

I have an opportunity to buy some wines from a neighbour (in excellent condition as I think cellared from purchase):

1995 Penfolds St Henri
This vintage piqued my interest as it's when I started working, (still here :lol:). From what I've seen on CellarTracker, the St Henri has probably already 'peaked' (subjective, I know) but may still be in reasonable shape. I've also read that this vintage wasn't one to remember.

1999 Penfolds Yattarna
This was an out of interest thought but it may be years past it's prime.

We've not had much genuinely aged wine, some of the ones we've been collecting are starting to be opened, so we still don't know if it's our thang.

I thought I'd see if anyone might have any thoughts on these and whether they're worth rolling the dice on?
Thanks

phillisc

Re: Aged St Henri and Yattarna

Post by phillisc »

I'd have a look at the St Henri. 95 was a really wet year and I remember some wines being green and thin. Also I guess the cork lottery is something to consider.
Can't comment on 24 year old Chardonnay.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

I’d pass on both. I think they’ll have both seen better days unless they’ve been perfectly stored… and even then I wouldn’t be confident.

gwyn

Post by gwyn »

Redav wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:48 pm Hi, it's been many bottles between posts and it's great to see the forum's alive and kicking.

I have an opportunity to buy some wines from a neighbour (in excellent condition as I think cellared from purchase):

1995 Penfolds St Henri
This vintage piqued my interest as it's when I started working, (still here :lol:). From what I've seen on CellarTracker, the St Henri has probably already 'peaked' (subjective, I know) but may still be in reasonable shape. I've also read that this vintage wasn't one to remember.

1999 Penfolds Yattarna
This was an out of interest thought but it may be years past it's prime.

We've not had much genuinely aged wine, some of the ones we've been collecting are starting to be opened, so we still don't know if it's our thang.

I thought I'd see if anyone might have any thoughts on these and whether they're worth rolling the dice on?
Thanks
I shared a bottle of the '97 Yattarna earlier this year. Cellared well as I understand it. Definitely on the decline and progressing into curio territory. Drinkable, but out of interest more than anything else. Can't comment directly on the '99 but it is likely to be in the same ballpark I suspect.

I don't think this would be a good purchase to help you determine whether old wine is your thang as the wine is likely to be well past its best based on my experience, as opposed to giving you an insight into the taste of an older wine in its prime. A single bottle (if the price reflects its likely drinking condition) could be worth it though if you're interested to taste where well-made chardonnay can progress to on the ageing sprectrum.

Cheers,

Gwyn

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

Ropey! Does 'cellared' mean temp-controlled? Not just under the house somewhere?
I wouldn't pay more than $40 for either, and even then only really for research purposes, not really in expectation of a great drinking experience.
And that apart from cork, yes.

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

Are there multiple bottles of each?

If so would recommend purchasing at a reasonable price. I suspect if the bottles are in reasonable condition worst case they could be sold at auction to recover your outlay if you find they aren’t to your drinking preference.

I had a 94 Bin 389 and 407 over the past 12 months. The 407 showed very well, 389 a little thin.

Cheers Ed

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

If the price for the St Henri was genuinely 'mates rates', I'd lean towards that, and as it's a neighbour, buy one and then if you like it, grab some more. FWIW I prefer cooler / lighter vintages of South Australian reds, so it's more likely to appeal to me than many others here / Aussie wine critics.

Yattarna? Nah.

tarija

Post by tarija »

Would pass on the Yattarna even with perfect storage.

The St Henri, is dependent on price and storage conditions. If it is just in a garage/cupboard/under the house, pass. If storage appears to have been reasonable and price isn’t too high, worth a try.

Redav

Post by Redav »

Mike Hawkins wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:42 am I’d pass on both. I think they’ll have both seen better days unless they’ve been perfectly stored… and even then I wouldn’t be confident.
They've been cellared in a wine storage place so temp controlled. I do expect the St Henri to be past it and yes, as Craig and others have said, the cork will be a lottery. I think I'm happy to still give it a go, out of curiosity and this silly nostalgic attachment to years 😅

The Yattarna sounded interesting until I started looking into it. I'm not that keen at all.

Thank you all. You've pretty much confirmed my thoughts.

There's also a 2010 Grant Burge Meshach we'll grab but there were some others which I'd love to try but will be out of our price range.

mjs

Post by mjs »

Disappointing for these wines, particularly the St H, as I think it can be much better, but depends on closure and cellaring. I go back to a 72 St Henri had for a significant birthday 8 yrs ago, so still 42 years old. Have to be one of the best wines I have had the pleasure of drinking.
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

If the storage has been good, as it seems to have been, and the price is right, I would take a chance on the St Henri.

I must confess to having a bottle of the 1995 St Henri and it has been on the list to be opened but being away from home for the last year has prevented me from opening it. This thread prompted me to take a look at Cellartracker and it seems the last two reviewers, in 2023 and 2021, were quite taken by the wine.

"Christopheroz" in April 2023 said: Beautiful. Still robust but now ageing with elegance and grace

Cheers .............. Mahmoud.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

I had the pleasure of drinking a '96 Yattarna last month and it was simply superb.

Upon opening we thought it was well past it's best, but after some air, it came to life. I didn't take notes at the time but I can remember being blown away and it would be my WWOTY so far.

We were also lucky enough (very generous offering from the table behind us) to try the '96 Leeuwin Estate Art Series Chardonnay as well. Sadly it wasn't in the same class as the Yattarna. It was great to try it, but I think it was a long way past it's prime.

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

GraemeG

Post by GraemeG »

Mahmoud Ali wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:50 pm "Christopheroz" in April 2023 said: Beautiful. Still robust but now ageing with elegance and grace
Not only were we at high school together, he's also my wife's second cousin.
(Which, btw, was completely unrelated to our engagement.)
Small world, eh?