TN: Poliziano Il Vino Nobile Di Montepulciano 2016

Italy, Italian Wine, Italian Food, Travel to and within Italy ... all things Italian
Waiters Friend

TN: Poliziano Il Vino Nobile Di Montepulciano 2016

Post by Waiters Friend »

This is the 'standard' model with the black label, not the Asinone (Riserva). Poliziano was a 15th century poet, and the name appears all over Montepulciano.

Sour cherry and dark plums on the nose, with a little leather but more dark chocolate and cocoa. This was looking a little bit like an Aussie Shiraz, until it opened up a little and settled into it's native territory. Moderately grippy tannins, good acid and a satisfying palate weight.

This is our second bottle in few days, and it definitely passes the 'drinkability' test. I know from experience that they will age (see http://forum.m.auswine.com.au/forum3/viewto ... 14&t=16322), and I do not know how 2016 ranks as a vintage to keep or drink, but it's satisfying now.

Cheers
Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Waiters Friend

Re: TN: Poliziano Il Vino Nobile Di Montepulciano 2016

Post by Waiters Friend »

Having acquired a few bottles of this shortly after the last tasting note, I thought it was time to open one. Apparently 2016 was a pretty good vintage, along with 2013 and 2015.

The wine does not seem to have changed much in the intervening 2 years, which bodes well for the long haul.

Purple / red in the glass and moderately dense (in colour). There's still cherry and dark plums on the nose, and the mocha has come to the fore. The leather has diminished somewhat, and there's additional herbal notes (including oregano) that add considerably to the attractiveness of the nose.

The palate has excellent supporting acid, with the fruit and mocha flowing across the tongue, and this is countered by a small degree of viscosity as the wine leaves the mouth. Good palate weight and long-ish finish makes for a quite satisfying wine.

The wine can be had for 18 Euros in Tuscany, unfortunately AUD$63 locally. One of my favourite Vini Nobile Di Montepulciano.

Cheers
Allan

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

I'm not sure you'd ever see Crociani or Daviddi, as they are somewhat under the radar (especially the latter), but both strongly recommended, and both were wonderfully hospitable when we visited them

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

The good Vino Nobilos do last a good long time. I recently opened my last bottle of 1996 Ruffino's VNdM from Tenuta Lodola Nuova, a not very fancied brand and it was very pleasant. Right now I'm waiting on my 2008 from Boscarelli which, when I tried one a few years ago, was quite primary.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:The good Vino Nobilos do last a good long time. I recently opened my last bottle of 1996 Ruffino's VNdM from Tenuta Lodola Nuova, a not very fancied brand and it was very pleasant. Right now I'm waiting on my 2008 from Boscarelli which, when I tried one a few years ago, was quite primary.
Thanks Mahmoud. We can buy Boscarelli locally in Western Australia, and the 2015 vintage is good drinking now and value for money (even by AUtralian standards :D ). I've put a few away for future enjoyment.

Cheers
Allan

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

After trying the 2011 of this a few days ago, I thought I should revisit the 2016. This is in better shape.

In fact, this is looking very much like it did two years ago. Less leather, more cocoa / mocha, lovely herbs on the nose, and lots of cherry and plum fruit on the palate. Acid is keeping it fresh, and there's enough palate weight and a full finish.

I have a few more of these, and they should see another 3-5 years comfortably (I hope)

Cheers
Allan