2002 Montes Alpha Cabernet Sauvignon

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Adair

2002 Montes Alpha Cabernet Sauvignon

Post by Adair »

2002 Montes Alpha Cabernet Sauvignon – Chile – 14%

There is a deep base of rich and ripe blackcurrants and blackberries with pleasant Cabernet vegetal aspects, but these particularly impressive features at $17 are spoilt by a swamp of shaving cream-like French(?) oak. Short/medium length. 14/20 (Agreeable).

Adair

sanjay

Post by sanjay »

Hi,

Have you tried any of the the Montes Alpha "flagship" wines. There seems to a bit of that floating around at Dan Murphy's currently - the shiraz- labelled - "Folly" and The cab based wine "M" has been discounted by 50% (from the lofty price of approx $100). I have tasted them in the past in USA and were quite good. Even at $50 they are not cheap by any means but reduced price would make them extremely competitive with OZ stuff that is marketed in that price bracket. I did buy a couple on spec. Will be a interesting comparative tasting.

Sanjay

Post by Guest »

Sanjay,

I would definately buy M at $50. Its a good wine.

The Alpha wines in my opinion have slipped off a hill sicne the 1999 vintage. But the M is still good.

Havent tried the Folly.

Post by Guest »

Montes Alpha M is a hopeless wine. Tasted like a sub $30s Yarra Cab.
Their regular are no better than Jacob Creek .

wine.hcg

Post by wine.hcg »

ANy Montes Folly still around at A$50 ?? If so, please let me know where and a phone number to order -- thanx !!

Anyone ever seen Montes PURPLE ANGEL in Australia ??

I have found a great source for Montes Folly (all gone now) , Montes Alpha M and Purple Angel -- in SINGAPORE !!! and prices are as good as you will find in the USA online (often better)

I now have a "wine cellar" in Singapore at a reliable cellar ... unbelievable