Congestion issue...

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Adam

Congestion issue...

Post by Adam »

Ok...you have a big tasting on which you had been looking forward to for months, you wake up a day before the tasting with an awful head cold, nose blocked and a sore throat...

Any cure alls for getting the palate and nose back on track!!??

:?

Post by guest »

no

rose terra

Post by rose terra »

No real cure alls but I have used and know winemakers who use Sudafed or similar product to help at least with congestion

TORB

Post by TORB »

Two things may and I stress may help. Zyrtec or Sudafed may stop the streaming schnozz. There is also a product called "Fess Nasal Spray" which is not much more than buffred saline solution but its great at getting rid of the boogies :shock: out of your nose. :lol: Fess is a great product, no kidding, its sold in Chemists.
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Murray

Post by Murray »

I've found Codral Cold & Flu to be good; although I find when they wear off, they wear off FAST.

Murray
Murray Almond

Adam

Post by Adam »

Thanks guys...it seems doping is the way to go...lets just hope the alcohol doesnt disagree too much with the medicine! :twisted:

BTW, vertical italian tasting and dinner with Castello Fonterutoli "Siepi" wines. Havent tried before so should be interesting.

jezza

Post by jezza »

If drugs don't work for you, you can also to the retro-nasal thing.
You do this by breathing through the wine through your mouth (much like gargling in reverse) and then breathe this out through your nose. It works well unless you have a cold that has you on your deathbed.

Jezza

Wycroft

Congestion issue

Post by Wycroft »

I'm troubled by this myself, and find zyrtec works quite well, as it has less side affects than some antihistamines (for me anyway). The only thing to watch out for however, and this goes for zyrtec too, is not so much the alcohol messing with the drug, but the drug messing with the alcohol, or at least one's ability to enjoy it. I find that zyrtec not only dries out my nasal passages, it has a similar affect on my mouth, also dumbing down my ability to taste properly. On occasion, the day after a tasting when I've needed a drug, I've found my ability to enjoy the flavours of what I'm tasting is impaired. And this is not because I'm hung over, at least I'm pretty sure. :lol:

MartinC

Post by MartinC »

I suggest u take some Whisky neat. Gaggle, gaggle n let it drip down ur throat slowly. The 20%+ proof will kill all the viruses. It worked for me n I've never seen a physician for as long as I can remembered.

Cheers,
MC

<i>"If our life on earth is so short, why not live every day as if it were our last. This is the path to happiness and spiritual enlightenment"
Omar Khayyam 1048 -1122</b>

Adam

Post by Adam »

Im onto my 5th whisky Martin....think its starting to work.... 8)

JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Maybe try Telfast, it is non drowsy whereas Zyrtec isn't ... another option is Becanase or Budamax Aqueous... you will need a script though. both are nasal sprays and are quick acting.
I have found the nasal spray coupled with some cold & flu tablets work quite well.
Just make sure you spit the wine otherwise you will not survive past entree :wink: