Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Dragzworthy

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by Dragzworthy »

sjw_11 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:20 pm
Dragzworthy wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:53 pm I was in Melbourne for the first time in about 2.5 years, family in tow. Obviously lots of people to catch up with but I still managed to sneak in a wine night with some friends at Scopri, some fantastic bottles...and what a great venue, food is lovely.

The highlight was the Pichon Lalande 1943 that I brought but the Wynn's Black 1986 was in good shape. Interesting to note that neither bottle was at risk of falling over and the cork on the Wynn's was only marginally more intact than the Pichon despite being 40 years younger.

The Bin 389 was also great but a tad one dimensional.
Looks like a good night... what year was the 389? I guess 90 something but I can't see it in the picture.
Was the 1990.

Felt the Wynn's had a tiny hint of TCA but no one else appeared to notice it.

The Argentine wine (Henry Gran Guarda) was very good but had a slight sweetness that made it more simple and pleasurable rather than complex and elegant.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

From an event back in Feb 2022 (yes im very slow in catching up)

Theme was Sparklings & Whites

As always, all wines served blind.

Wine #1 - 2012 Franck Bonville ‘Pur Avize’ Grand Cru Blanc De Blancs – Faulty Cork
Not a good start

Wine # 2 – 2012 Franck Bonville ‘Pur Avize’ Grand Cru Blanc De Blancs
LOL what are the chances of TWO of the same wines being served!
Bright yellow in the glass, not gold but it does seem to have a little age on it.
Very fresh in the mouth, lovely fine mousse, tart and dry all at once.
Zesty lemon rind, lovely citrus fruit here, but then the chalk comes in. Wow, lots of talc and powdery minerals here. That acid line is again pure champagne, we can only be in champagne.
Fruit eventually comes back after being pushed out by those minerals and acid, some grapefruit and
Mandarin characters. Nice fruit profile, but not a powerful wine. Coming from Avize, and being 2012
Vintage, I did expect more. Length is shorter than I wanted as well. Its ok, but no VFM here when there is better sparklings/champagnes out there for less.

Wines # 3 -5:- A 3 Vintage Mini Vertical of Grosset Polish Hill

Left Glass (#3) 2009 – Preserved Lime & Phenols hits the nose immediately, slightly darker in the glass as well over the other 3. Still yellow, just not as bright, possibly older than the others.
Again preserved lime in the mouth, lime marmalade as well, with a very nice acid structure, that has
Integrated nicely into the wine. Good length, some white florals, and a touch of green apple crunch. My # 1 of the flight, but not the groups. I prefer the aged characters in a Riesling where the others prefer freshness & younger versions.

Centre Glass (#4) 2010 – This is slightly brighter in the glass than #1. Feels younger as well, but not by much. More acid which is a little poky at the moment, needs more integration. lovely lemon blossom florals here, quite perfumed. Didn’t really back it up on the palate if im honest. Feels like its in the ‘Riesling hole’ in terms of age. Missing that X factor that make Grossets great. Some talc and more citrus in there.
I wonder what the vintage is, thinking 6-ish years. Was ok

Right Glass (#5) 2011 – My least favourite and youngest wine of the flight. Very hard acid in here, tough going and needs food. Again some freshly squeezed zingy lime juice in there. It was so bright in the glass it was almost white. Current vintage perhaps? More white florals (jasmine in particular) but that acid is just so dominant and overpowering at the moment.

Coming away from this mini vertical got me thinking if the polish hill is worth the money or they just needed a lot longer time to truly show their pedigree. Still not sure, but I wont be opening any of my younger ones in a hurry. I would love to do a flight of all the different Grosset Riesling of the same vintage one day.

Wine # 6 – 2010 Domaine Henri Boillot Puligny – Montrachet Clos de la Mouchere
Yellow gold in the glass, one smell and feels like im being served stuffed zucchini flowers. It has this zucchini floral-ness about it, but with a creamy richness. What a nose!
In the mouth feels creamy as well, Malo fermentation creamy. It’s the structure that is getting me at the moment. Richer than a Chablis, but as one taster very rightly commented ‘Even Chablis doesn’t taste like Chablis any more’ – However im in Meursault.
Some petrol on the nose that blew off, to reveal fresh lychees, wow, this is very complex. Lots of fruit power here. Very high quality fruit, 1er quality from a very confident maker. Knows their vineyard and knows what’s needed. Peach, very nutty with a Nougat ending. Wonderful

Wine # 7 – 2012 Penfolds Reserve Bin 12A – Adelaide hills Chardonnay
Rich & riper fruit on the nose, this smells like a big wine, but has a pale green & yellow tinge in the glass. Colour indicates this could be a younger wine, but screwcap makes it anyone’s guess really.
Struck match & a slight tropical nose as well.
Palate has more tropical fruits, but not over ripe or sweet. Green papaya, touch of young banana and rockmelon. More flint & struck match in the mouth, length is wonderful, but again feels young. I do love the acid in here, confident acid very well complemented by high quality French oak\
Fruit richness has me in New world. Either NZ or Aust…. Hmmm I 0would love to see this in 10 years time will be something quite special.

Wine # 8 – 2016 Giuseppe Quintarelli Bianco Secco Ca del Merlo
Big tropical fruit nose, canned and sweetened lychee, lemon curd.
Very high acid, this feels new world immediately . Still wound up tighter than a spring that
Spicy nose too. Vanilla pods, hint of white pepper, white minerals and cardamon. Love the fruit in the mouth though, ultra high quality stone fruit, citruc, but cool climate, needs time.. Winemaker has let the fruit do its thing here, feels natural and unforced, however its too young. Im guessing under 5 years old. Love the complexity and power here. Never seen this wine before, didn’t even know Quintarelli made one. Love the label. 12.50% perfect

Wine # 9– 2012 Morey-Blanc Corton Charlemagne Grand Cru

Corked/Ox

Wine # 10 (Backup) – 2018 Laurent Ponsot Cuvee du Pandorea Meursault
Waxy, some slight oak. Feels like a Rhone variety or a Rhone blend.
Disappointing. Tipped out as it wasnt for me. Others liked it

Wine # 11 – 2004 Domaine Francois Raveneau ‘Valmur’ Chablis Grand Cru
Oxidised

Wine # 12 – 2011 Joh.Jos.Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese
Now we are in serious old world Riesling territory. Really is this Alsace or German…. Im in Germany……….. got one right !
Initial nose of chlorine, but it blew off quickly. Very musky nose here, rosewater and a touch of Turkish delight. Not super sweet though, not bone dry… off dry? Is that what they call it?
Soft and supple wine. This caresses all facets of your mouth with the skill and care of someone special. Wild honey, some preserved lemon, wet stone minerals, grilled cashews and some red apples as well. Gosh this is a good wine. Feels Low alcohol, length for days, top tier producer. Im in love.

Wine # 13 (Backup) – 2012 Franck Bonville ‘Pur Mesnil’ Grand Cru Blanc De Blancs
Lovely colour to this wine. Bright straw gold.
Nose has some pastry and autolysis as well.
Palate shows lots of chalk and stone minerals, green apple, lemon.
This is youthful and tight but again that freshly baked pastry hits the tongue
And asks ‘where am I from’…. And I have NO idea! Im guessing champagne from that chalk, but the acidity seems new world. Fruit profile seems different to champagne….

Wine # 14– Fortified – Kinglsey Grove Family Blend
In context to this wine, the presenters family all went up to Rutherglen for a weekend. The goal was to produce the best blend of Muscat they could from any/all producers they visited. The winning blend (here tonight) was:
48% Morris Classic
25% Stanton & Killeen 10 Year Old
25% Buller 10 Year Old
2% Morris Rare

Look at that colour! Is so Luscious, so dark and burn toffee/caramel like.

Raisins, sultanas, lots of purple florals here; Lavender, violets, blueberries and blackberries. More scorched toffee, like the top of a crème brulee. Richness again, I wonder if this has some really old material in there. It feels like a blend of old and new. Some newish acid to keep it fresh, but has some aged characters in there… it feels wise from old age and experience.
Love the viscosity here, a silkiness and richness, but not overdone or treacle like. Coats the mouth, mocha, milk chocolate and old barrels.

What a way to end the night.
Last edited by Rossco on Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

I’ve had a few oxidised 04 Ravenau’s ( heartbreaking )

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

JamieAdelaide wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:10 pm I’ve had a few oxidised 04 Ravenau’s ( heartbreaking )
Good pickup and was the most controversial wine of the night.
The presenter adamant the wine was fine and 'what it should be'
I'm incredibly sensitive to ox, so it was undrinkable for me and I tipped it out.
Some did the same, some drunk it believing it was 'borderline'.
Either way, yes it was heartbreaking 😢
Interesting to see each members sensitivity and tolerance to different
Degrees of ox though

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Rossco wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:25 pm From an event back in Feb 2022 (yes im very slow in catching up)

Theme was Sparklings & Whites

As always, all wines served blind.

Wine #1 - 2012 Franck Bonville ‘Pur Avize’ Grand Cru Blanc De Blancs – Faulty Cork
Not a good start

Wine # 2 – 2012 Franck Bonville ‘Pur Avize’ Grand Cru Blanc De Blancs
LOL what are the chances of TWO of the same wines being served!
Bright yellow in the glass, not gold but it does seem to have a little age on it.
Very fresh in the mouth, lovely fine mousse, tart and dry all at once.
Zesty lemon rind, lovely citrus fruit here, but then the chalk comes in. Wow, lots of talc and powdery minerals here. That acid line is again pure champagne, we can only be in champagne.
Fruit eventually comes back after being pushed out by those minerals and acid, some grapefruit and
Mandarin characters. Nice fruit profile, but not a powerful wine. Coming from Avize, and being 2012
Vintage, I did expect more. Length is shorter than I wanted as well. Its ok, but no VFM here when there is better sparklings/champagnes out there for less.

Coming away from this mini vertical got me thinking if the polish hill is worth the money or they just needed a lot longer time to truly show their pedigree. Still not sure, but I wont be opening any of my younger ones in a hurry. I would love to do a flight of all the different Grosset Riesling of the same vintage one day.
Thanks for the notes..

A couple of thoughts…. The 2012 vintage in Champagne is absolutely superb for Pinot dominant wines, but I have been consistently underwhelmed by most of the BdBs. In recent visits to the region, the 2013 BdBs have been, in the main, superb and better than their year older siblings. I’m looking forward to tasting some of my favourites like Taittinger Comtes, Diebolt and Doquet to ascertain which vintage I prefer.

As for GPH, it’s a wine to buy in the great years and hold. For my tastes, the 05 is in its drinking window, and the 02 and 09 are getting close. 12s and 17s are many years away.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Mike Hawkins wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:08 am
Thanks for the notes..

A couple of thoughts…. The 2012 vintage in Champagne is absolutely superb for Pinot dominant wines, but I have been consistently underwhelmed by most of the BdBs. In recent visits to the region, the 2013 BdBs have been, in the main, superb and better than their year older siblings. I’m looking forward to tasting some of my favourites like Taittinger Comtes, Diebolt and Doquet to ascertain which vintage I prefer.
This is a fantastic observation and one i will have to investigate further. Thank you Mike. I have experienced that 2012's are (in general)
more approachable now, and especially over 2008's that still feel younger and tighter.

I havnt seen many 2013's down here yet but will hunt out the BdBs - cheers for that

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

Popped and poured a 2018 Stonebridge Cabernet Malbec from the Clare Valley. Nice fruit and palate weight. More Cabernet dominant, with the wine smoothed out by the Malbec. Easy going tannins complement a fairly good bottle of wine from a very good vintage.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

2012 Lake Breeze Benoota Shiraz Cabernet. Don't have a lot of LC apart from Noon and Wolf Blass. This is right in the spot... juicy lashes of fruit and a lovely finish. Great accompaniment with a rump steak.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

2013 Fourrier VV. The perfect blend of sweet cherry fruit, balanced acid and the slight intrusion of secondary influences. Inviting to the last glass, and certainly no hurry, I'm sure it has at least another 5 or so years ahead of it. Oh, and the happy surprise....Diam cork!!
Imugene, cure for cancer.

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

2004 Clarendon Hills Brookman Shiraz tonight, cork crumbled (possible user error as only had a very basic corkscrew here).

Poured a small amount after decanting. Initial impression is the balance is a bit off. A hit of alcohol that almost overwhelms, but it’s starting to settle in the glass relatively quickly. Red and dark fruits. Tannins very resolved / smooth. Hoping it improves over the next hour or two.

Edit: the air helped, and this got progressively better over the evening. Dark and red fruit, alcohol / menthol faded and balance improved.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

3A07CBB9-169D-4EE0-9228-983940A0429D.jpeg
32913B70-EF97-4326-964C-9407A91244FF.jpeg
First online tasting with Jelle in Amsterdam for a while. He has telling me for a while about Gremanon, and this was my first experience. This Cuvee is 100% Syrah from old vines. A bit stalky on the nose initially, but with air you get some classic Rhone Syrah notes of leather and animal, with a dollop of vanilla. Highlight is the mouth feel, which is voluptuous, mouth coating and full of dark berry and cherry. There is a touching sulphur used, but I still get that natural bitterness and sawdust on the tongue after I swallow. Jelle likens it to the bitterness of spinach and thinks it’s related to the tannin structure. I wonder though if it it has maybe been effected by the air travel. Either way, it’s puts me off the wine.

Normally you buy the producer and not the vintage, but 89 Vouvray is one of the exceptions. Not a producer I have heard of, but the contents are wonderful. Age has taken the sweetness away and it’s the acidity which is slightly to the fore, which is a plus. Apple and a ferrous touch on the nose and its decadent in the mouth with waxy apple, stone fruit and some marzipan. It’s off dry and combination fruit, acidity and sugar brings both of us to a giggling smile. Yum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

Not tonight, but had this 1999 Dalwhinnie Moonamble earlier in the week.

Took a while to open up but was drinking very well. Soft, mellow, fruit still present, some tertiary characteristics beginning to show themselves.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

2015 Bondar Violet Hour MV shiraz. In a lovely spot, plush, floral, notes of rich chocolate and dark fruits. Full-bodied wine, still on the way up. Very enjoyable.
Cheers Craig

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

phillisc wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:48 pm 2012 Lake Breeze Benoota Shiraz Cabernet. Don't have a lot of LC apart from Noon and Wolf Blass. This is right in the spot... juicy lashes of fruit and a lovely finish. Great accompaniment with a rump steak.
Cheers Craig
Lake Breeze is a name I haven't thought of for years! What brilliant VFM the Benoota was, and by the sounds of it still is.
LC is an almost forgotten about region.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

TravisW wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:43 pm
phillisc wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:48 pm 2012 Lake Breeze Benoota Shiraz Cabernet. Don't have a lot of LC apart from Noon and Wolf Blass. This is right in the spot... juicy lashes of fruit and a lovely finish. Great accompaniment with a rump steak.
Cheers Craig
Lake Breeze is a name I haven't thought of for years! What brilliant VFM the Benoota was, and by the sounds of it still is.
LC is an almost forgotten about region.
Yes sure is, and how could I forget Metala :oops: :oops:
Continuing the theme
2019 Lake Breeze Benoota, this is a good wine, fresh lively, lovely length, dark fruits, earth and spice, needs a decade, and a good reflection of the vintage.
2014 Paracombe The Rueben, have not had this wine for a long time, goes back to early 2000s, but an Adelaide Hills Quintet. In a great spot now, everything has melded together, cabernet shining but a cascade of supporting fruit, such fine tannins that melted away, think this has a good future, must seek some out.
2006 Hardys HRB Clare/Adelaide Hills Shiraz, nice wine which is peaking, drink up or another 2-3 years.
Cheers Craig

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

My notes from a wine event back in March 2022

Theme was 'Burgundy' either Red or White

Wine #1 (Starter) – 2008 Arras Grand Vintage
Bright yellow in the glass with a tinge of green, bursting with energy though. Superfine bubbles, little soft clouds, each rising up to the top of the glass and tantalising the taster of whats to come.
Milky and creamy nose, slightly reductive as well. I got a whiff of sweaty socks, but that could have been my feet.
Very fresh in the mouth, belies the nose and feels quite young. 2013 or younger.
Definitely a vintage wine, from a good house.
Confusion among the group as to old or new world. Probably about 50/50 and you can see why.
Chalky minerals that you get in Champagne, lovely spine of pronounced Acid running all the way through the wine, BUT the fruit power and elegance is just slightly missing.
Zesty lemon fruits, grapefruit, citrus, wet stone, some nougat. I got a bit of old spice aftershave too.
Has some good crunchy green apple, maybe even a touch of fennel or green herbs.
Slightly short on the palate though. Its not clipped or faulty, just expected more.

Wine # 2-2017 Domain Jean Grivot Bourgogne Chardonnay
Dark yellow in the glass, nose has a fair hit of tropical fruits. Guava, green papaya and interestingly has a dusty/gravelly smell. Like when you are walking down an unsealed country road.
Palate has a chlorine/chemical taste I cant get over and doesn’t blow off or go away.
Some flinty and gun smoke traits, some slightly reductive characters and probably a bit too much oak at the moment. Acid isn’t nice either at this stage, the wine feels ‘green’ – like its still earning how to be a wine. I feel this needs a lot more time to come together, integrate and mature. Its all arms and legs. Could be a great wine. I have never seen this before and didnt even know Grivot had Chardonnay plantings!

Wine # 3 - 2006 Domain William Fevre Les Clos Chablis Grand Cru
Get a whiff of this! Can I call it JUST on the nose alone? – WINE OF THE NIGHT?!?!?!
The nose is so complex and inviting, its one of those you can just sit and smell all night. Each inhale revealing something different.
Leesy, fennel, Aniseed, lots of green herbs, briny and salty sea air.
Bright yellow in the glass, like morning sun…. its giving me morning glory that’s for sure.
This feels slightly younger maybe around 10 years or more.
Palate has intense and very high quality fruit. GC has to be.
Tropical fruits, yellow peach, mango, rock melon, but not over ripe or sweet. WOW
Perfectly balanced acidity tames the power of those fruits. The winemaker skill clearly on show, this had the potential to be a fruit bomb, but man this acidity is perfect. Oak again skilfully handled, complements the whole wine, creates a mouthfeel that really impresses. Length for days.

Wine # 4– 2018 Olivier Lafon Puligny-Monrachet
One whiff and you are instantly in Burgundy, it just has this unmistakable X factor you simply don’t get anywhere else.
Matchstick, flint, but you can see its young. Colour is light yellow and green. Not quite the boxing kangaroo…. Whats the French version? Whatever it is this is young, just on the colour and nose alone.
Grapefruit, white peach, white flowers and some spice right in the mid palate. Very interesting here, white pepper and something else…. Raw cashews perhaps.
Power is still developing, builds in the mouth. All encompassing, acid quite prominent… definitive is what a wrote, not dominating, but assertive. It knows what its role is and plays its part perfectly.
Length is wild. Opened WAY too young, has another 10+ easily. Almost vinicide, but better that than PreMox.

Wine # 5 – 2007 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru

The dreaded Ox :-(

Wine # 6 (Backup) 2013 Guy Amiot et Fils Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Champagain
Dark Gold in colour, this has some age on it. Nose is very nutty. Very rich, very toasted.
Has a hardness about it, unrelenting, and steely.
Maybe a bit too advanced? Not great, wondering if its past it. Finish is dull

Wine # 7– 2009 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru
Bloody Ox Strikes again! :-(
What a sad state burgundy can be when we have TWO Oxed Bonneau's from two
different vintages. These are very expensive wines

Wine # 8 - 2002 Domaine Henri Gouges Nuits- St Georges Les Chaignots
Lovely red burg nose, can smell that all day. Lots of forest floor, damp earth type notes.
Colour is a dark cherry, acid very good and perfect older oak.
Gee this is spicy though. Not a vanilla spice, this is almost a Sichuan pepper spice… just
Without the heat. Dried orange peel…then those purple herbs and fruits rush the palate.
Lots of lavender, blueberry, dark cherry. This is a masculine wine, this makes a statement and its not delicate or feminine. Lots of power, liquorice at the then, coal and some dark minerals. Great wine

Wine # 9 – 2005 Rapet Pere et Fils Corton-Pougets Grand Cru
Crystal clear red here. Looks young.
Raspberry, cherry, black tea on the nose. Wonderful perfume that fills the room.
Dominating acid… probably too much this stage.
This is a weird wine. It appears feminine, but its not delicate. Its not powerful, yet there is
Something about it that is gentle.
I love the tannin here. Its dry, its dusty, it caresses the side of your cheeks. It tingles all the way down. I think its oak tannin, but not sure. Whatever it is…. Its seductive.
Like the nose lots of red fruits, red cherry, red currents, raspberry.
Another floral wine, but this time more dried roses, a touch stemmy as well.
If I have a criticism (apart from the harsh acid) is that it feels a little too hot and alcoholic. Maybe some more time in bottle or decanter would blow it off, but it’s definitely there at this stage.

Wine # 10 – 2008 Alain Hudelot-Noellat Vosne-Romanee 1er Cru Les Suchots
Another serious wine here, again lots of perfume, but purple florals.
Dried violets, dried lavender.
Darker in the glass than the other wine. Think more plum, dark cherry type colour. Slightly blurry indicates this may have a bit of age on it.
Redskins on the palate. Sweet fruits. More wet & damp forest floor, feels like you are walking though the black spur in Autumn. Crushed wet autumn leaves, grilled nuts, Cherries are in the red spectrum of fruit, belies the colour… and then the whole bunch hits. Slightly stalky and a tinge of green there. Not greenie meanies, but it adds to the complexity.
Intoxicating purple aromas
Acid still prominent, and especially at the end. Will it overtake the fruit with time?, Not sure but its probably a bit too much right now. Hopefully it settles and integrates a little more.
Gravelly tannin, still a very long life ahead… hold with confidence.
Im going to say 2005 vintage?

Wine # 11(Extra) - 2005 Bouchard Pere et Fils Volnay 1er Cru Clos des Chenes
Ok we have a ring-in. Something extra and for no reason other than we seem to have gone through the night rather quickly…and the night is still young.
Black cherry in the glass. Dark red and purple fruits. Rhubarb, raspberry, coal and some graphite. Acid dominates the whole palate. It’s a tough wine, prominent tannin and needs food. Feels very young, not integrated and definitely not comfortable with itself yet. It’s a lovely wine, but in the wine equivalent of awkward teenage years.

Wine # 12 (Fortified) - 2012 Quinta do Noval Porto Late Bottled Vintage Unfiltered Single Vineyard
Dark purple, almost black. Dense in the glass. Like a black hole, no light escapes its clutches, or is able to penetrate its defences.
Black fruits. Blackberry, plum, blackcurrants…yet it feel young, It has this vibrancy and life that
says im only just getting started. Spicy notes, very clean spirit…. Yet im very confused. The fruit and spirit have me in Australia…. But I get this nagging feeling its foreign. The nose and mouth feel are Portuguese…. Fruit and spirit are not. I go Aust………. Crap!
Aniseed and liquorice, lovely oak profile. Soft, not big but you can tell the fruit will swallow it whole.
As I think its young, feels a little disjointed at the moment. Its finding itself and needs a really good sleep for another 5-10 to develop.
Wonderful end to the night

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

2012 Yalumba Signature...seamless union of Shiraz and Cabernet. Cork not even stained at 10 years, wine inky black in colour. Everything balanced on the palate with melting tannins. Another 20 years...easily. Must find a magnum or two. Fabulous wine.
Cheers Craig

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

phillisc wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:03 pm 2012 Yalumba Signature...seamless union of Shiraz and Cabernet. Cork not even stained at 10 years, wine inky black in colour. Everything balanced on the palate with melting tannins. Another 20 years...easily. Must find a magnum or two. Fabulous wine.
Cheers Craig
Fantastic to hear as its my daughters birth year. I have a few Magnums of this put away as well as normal bottle.
Cheers for the update Craig!

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

phillisc wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:03 pm 2012 Yalumba Signature...seamless union of Shiraz and Cabernet. Cork not even stained at 10 years, wine inky black in colour. Everything balanced on the palate with melting tannins. Another 20 years...easily. Must find a magnum or two. Fabulous wine.
Cheers Craig
Yes, good to hear. The critics I respect did say it will need quite a bit of time. I have 3 bottles tucked away at the back of the cellar. Never quite gets the plaudits that i think it deserves.

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Yes Sig has lived in the shadow of the Oaktavius and the former Reserve. It's reasonable vfm, particularly when heavily discounted or for some reason on clearance (just picked up '16s for $32).
I am really enjoying the Menzies too, another Coonawarra :shock: :shock:
Agree a wine along with Rockford's Rod&Spur is the barometer for this blend, and certainly imho better than 389.
Cheers Craig

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

Have been trying a few blends from the larger wineries in recent weeks.

The 2019 Penfolds Bin 2 Shiraz Mataro was very good. Medium weight, good fruit and balance. Good tension between the Shiraz and the meatiness of the mataro. Well made and very good drinking. In its youth, has plenty of time on its side. The label was non-descriptive, no region, just SA, and no % of the varieties. Fu#k knows what it really is, but it tasted ok.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Matt@5453 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:27 pm The 2019 Penfolds Bin 2 Shiraz Mataro was very good. Medium weight, good fruit and balance. Good tension between the Shiraz and the meatiness of the mataro. Well made and very good drinking. In its youth, has plenty of time on its side. The label was non-descriptive, no region, just SA, and no % of the varieties. Fu#k knows what it really is, but it tasted ok.
Good to hear. This was phenomenal drinking / value back in (IIRC) ~ 1990, when it came in a rhone shaped bottle, and I like the grape combination. It nosedived pretty badly at the same time as they switched to a bdx bottle, but it's a blend that ought to suit Penfolds.

Cloth Ears

Post by Cloth Ears »

For their 2nd tier Shiraz, this does bloody well. Just beginning to peak now, most of the tannin is only requiring careful decanting, but with lots of still young, fresh vibrant fruit - mostly of the dark plum variety. Matching tie and cuffs as far as the smell went. And a really long tail. I really must try one of my remaining 2003 Reserve versions, as they are under cork and are probably even better.
PXL_20220515_094216171.NIGHT~2.jpg
Jonathan

"It is impossible to build a fool proof system; because fools are so ingenious."

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

Opened this over the weekend, still wound very tight and needed quite a bit of time in the glass to open up. Deep purple, plenty of fruit, really enjoyable blend this and a long life ahead.

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

Sampling this tonight, have a few in the cellar to see how they go over the next 10+ years. Pours a light red, nose definitely red fruit, definitely getting the tannins on the mouth, its light red fruits, strawberry yes, but if cherry, a bit of mineral. I’m not a Nebbiolo expert by any stretch, but this drinks very much like a higher end Victorian Pinot.

Any else had this?

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

2015 Petaluma Coonawarra
This is a lovely wine. Opens with lots of blue fruits, label suggests red/black but I am getting plenty of blueberry. Oak is present amongst some dusky earthy tones leading to a very firm finish with strong tannins. Doesn't have that twinge of residual sweetness that I am always looking for in a Coonawarra Cabernet... yet.
At 7 years an absolute pup... drinking window on the label indicates decades and I don't disagree. Will put the rest away for a long sleep.
Cheers Craig

VinoEd

Post by VinoEd »

Had this last night. A little musty, compost on the nose initially, fruit quite restrained, all the hallmarks of a 1990s Penfolds Cabernet then came in over a few hours - lots of fruit, still very powerful, dark fruit, the balance of the oak, the mouth feel - drinking exceptionally well. Makes me wonder how long it could go - will be keeping an eye out for it.
Cheers Ed

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

41CE3124-52B5-4150-AA5C-B3E8B02BEECC.jpeg
Picked up for 19.99 at Dan’s on Friday while picking up some Gin for an online tasting. Howard Park 2013 vintage means a bit of bottle age and there is kerosene and honey which adds a nice complexity. Nice creaminess with some air, stone fruit and of course good acidity. Not a real fan of this style, but this is a QPR no brainier and the 2nd half is drinking great still tonight.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

2019 Wynns BL Cabernet. Dark core of black fruits, olive, pepper and mixed spice. Very good palate weight, a bit of oak but lovely cool slippery tannins that firm up on the finish. Really smart and best BL that I have had on release. Will be long lived and glad I have a few. Based on this the '19 JR will be epic. Happy days.
Cheers Craig

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

2008 Wynns Shiraz
In a great spot right now, just browning on the edge but still has a dark core, flirting between primary and secondary development. Black fruits on the nose with a jubey palate and good weight carrying through to delicate tannins. At $8 on release brought a few, so will knock off more in the coming months.
Cheers Craig