Cheapies

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Matt

Cheapies

Post by Matt »

Hi
I thought I would start a thread for any notable cheapies. Managed to find some highly drinkable ‘The Farm’ (Watershed) which is a Merlot / Cab Franc blend. Impressed me for $5 a bottle with a bit of air time.

Definitely cheap and definitely passable.

*No affiliation with any groups or retailers just after some midweek gems.

Michael McNally

Re: Cheapies

Post by Michael McNally »

Metala White Label Langhorne Creek Shiraz/Cabernet is often (and recently) discounted to 2 for $20. Edging into slightly sweet fruit territory but with a couple of years on them are really enjoyable wines.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

kenzo

Post by kenzo »

Tahbilk Marsanne can be had as cheaply as $11, and is wonderful with age.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Michael McNally wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:55 am Metala White Label Langhorne Creek Shiraz/Cabernet is often (and recently) discounted to 2 for $20. Edging into slightly sweet fruit territory but with a couple of years on them are really enjoyable wines.

Cheers

Michael
Michael, think unfortunately the Metala shipped has sailed. In a fluff piece yesterday in Adelaide, Guy Adams (new or original owner) at Langhorne Creek is pitching Metala as an $18 red and plans to introduce a straight shiraz and cabernet along side of the blend...market place confusion will reign supreme. Guess he's not aiming at me, rather 30 somethings with plenty of dough and seen as a new product.

I emailed him, as a 35 year buyer, with a few 'tips' on getting it right...strangely no reply :shock:

Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

phillisc wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:21 pmMichael, think unfortunately the Metala shipped has sailed. In a fluff piece yesterday in Adelaide, Guy Adams (new or original owner) at Langhorne Creek is pitching Metala as an $18 red and plans to introduce a straight shiraz and cabernet along side of the blend...market place confusion will reign supreme. Guess he's not aiming at me, rather 30 somethings with plenty of dough and seen as a new product.

I emailed him, as a 35 year buyer, with a few 'tips' on getting it right...strangely no reply :shock:

Cheers Craig
I am sure the straight Cab and Shiraz will have their own distinctive colour label...

Can't believe he didn't sign you up as a consultant there and then on the spot. Did you make it clear who you are, and more importantly how much wine you've drunk!?!?!?

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Michael McNally wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:50 am
phillisc wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:21 pmMichael, think unfortunately the Metala shipped has sailed. In a fluff piece yesterday in Adelaide, Guy Adams (new or original owner) at Langhorne Creek is pitching Metala as an $18 red and plans to introduce a straight shiraz and cabernet along side of the blend...market place confusion will reign supreme. Guess he's not aiming at me, rather 30 somethings with plenty of dough and seen as a new product.

Cheers Craig
I am sure the straight Cab and Shiraz will have their own distinctive colour label...

Can't believe he didn't sign you up as a consultant there and then on the spot. Did you make it clear who you are, and more importantly how much wine you've drunk!?!?!?

Cheers

Michael
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Michael, absolute gold, just finished four hours with research students and you have made me laugh loudly. I truly hope it goes well for them, no reason why it shouldn't with the economies of scale and with other wineries in their portfolio (Killibillin and others), but lets be honest here, Metala is not a premium brand, nor IMHO never will be.

What it is however, is a wine that has wonderful VFM with great capacity for age and has always been reliable year on year. With family ownership (heaven forbid :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock: ) there may even be an improvement in quality, rather than TWE's precedent and premise of trying to make a billion bottles of everything, and that the Adams start putting the 'better' fruit back into the blend. of course might be the wineries' cash cow with more of the same.

Anyway will be interesting to see how it plays out and may even tempt me to visit LC, its been 10+ years.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day