Kay Brother’s Replaces Corked Wine!

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Dragzworthy

Re: Kay Brother’s Refuses To Replace Corked Wine!

Post by Dragzworthy »

sjw_11 wrote:
Dragzworthy wrote:This feels like an Ideal moment for a heated debate about the benefits of screwtop in avoiding TCA Vs the lack of air ingress which means they age very slowly.

Let the games begin :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
We are due for this again... for one simple reason... I am ready to recant my sins and be more forgiving to cork. :?
(for red wine, of certain kinds, but still... never thought I would say that!)
Not sure I can recall ever having a TCA affected screwtop...but stacks of corks. Do the screw tops lack the ingress and result in wines that take a long time to age? Perhaps.

crusty2

Post by crusty2 »

Dragzworthy wrote:
sjw_11 wrote:
Dragzworthy wrote:This feels like an Ideal moment for a heated debate about the benefits of screwtop in avoiding TCA Vs the lack of air ingress which means they age very slowly.

We are due for this again... for one simple reason... I am ready to recant my sins and be more forgiving to cork. :?
Not sure I can recall ever having a TCA affected screwtop...but stacks of corks. Do the screw tops lack the ingress and result in wines that take a long time to age? Perhaps.
old reference to TCA under screwcap

https://forum.auswine.com.au/viewtopic.php?f ... lo#p144774
Drink the wine, not the label.

Dragzworthy

Post by Dragzworthy »

Yes had heard they are capable of having TCA..but definitely seems far rarer relative to the traditional closure methodology... The use of the phrase "corked" is also a testament to this.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Barrels can certainly get tainted with TCA, and then it doesn't matter what seal the bottle has - the wine will be corked before it is even sealed.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Ian S wrote:Barrels can certainly get tainted with TCA, and then it doesn't matter what seal the bottle has - the wine will be corked before it is even sealed.
Very true. I cannot remember which winery/wineries were involved but didn't they have to either scour their cellars or replace all their barrels to get rid of the TCA that was regularly affecting their wines?

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

I kindly received a 2010 Block 6 ( in screw cap ) as a replacement for my corked 2001. Very pleased the issue has been completely resolved.

Anyone for a Block 6 event? I have heaps of oldies. 8)
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

Ian S wrote:Barrels can certainly get tainted with TCA, and then it doesn't matter what seal the bottle has - the wine will be corked before it is even sealed.
You're perfectly correct, Ian - but surely you would taste each barrel before you blend?
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

JamieBahrain wrote:I kindly received a 2010 Block 6 ( in screw cap ) as a replacement for my corked 2001. Very pleased the issue has been completely resolved.

Delighted to hear you have a 2010 as a replacement. A lot of wineries would only replace with current or recent vintage (partially as they may not hold significant museum stocks), so this is a good result. Enjoy!
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

JamieBahrain wrote:I kindly received a 2010 Block 6 ( in screw cap ) as a replacement for my corked 2001. Very pleased the issue has been completely resolved.

They got there in the end.

I do hope that they've learnt that this is what a fair solution looks like, unlike their initial (awful) offer, rather than just placating a persistent upset customer.

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

JamieBahrain wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:15 am
tarija wrote:Jamie - what do you do if you get a corked Cappellano or Bartolo?
I would drop the wine back to Augusto or Maria Teresa for replacement. In my bi-annual visits to the region I would return corked wine.

If I were to buy expensive Barolo in Australia I would probably now check the policy for returning obviously faulty wine. Will I get a retail or importer refund?

I would never buy from an Australian winery that refused to replace a wine we both deemed cork tainted. There’s a lake of fine wine- and taint is still an issue- so why would you take the risk?
Can confirm, my 17 Sassacaia was corked, Negociants via Edinburgh Cellars replaced with a 2018 as they had no 2017. Both were great to deal with. EC are a great little store with some hard to get wines available. www.edcellars.com.au

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

dave vino wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:05 am
JamieBahrain wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:15 am
tarija wrote:Jamie - what do you do if you get a corked Cappellano or Bartolo?
I would drop the wine back to Augusto or Maria Teresa for replacement. In my bi-annual visits to the region I would return corked wine.

If I were to buy expensive Barolo in Australia I would probably now check the policy for returning obviously faulty wine. Will I get a retail or importer refund?

I would never buy from an Australian winery that refused to replace a wine we both deemed cork tainted. There’s a lake of fine wine- and taint is still an issue- so why would you take the risk?
Can confirm, my 17 Sassacaia was corked, Negociants via Edinburgh Cellars replaced with a 2018 as they had no 2017. Both were great to deal with. EC are a great little store with some hard to get wines available. www.edcellars.com.au
Agree Dave, as an Adelaide resident, I have avoided Ed Cellars for about the last 20 years, price structure was ridiculous, catering to a clientele who are now largely in nursing homes. The new bloke who has taken it over is a breath of fresh air, compared to the previous manager. Gave me 10% off with out even asking. Will certainly be going back.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

dave vino wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:05 am Can confirm, my 17 Sassacaia was corked, Negociants via Edinburgh Cellars replaced with a 2018 as they had no 2017. Both were great to deal with. EC are a great little store with some hard to get wines available. www.edcellars.com.au
I don't think it would work for me. I am contemplating opening a bottle of 1982 Sassicaia and were it corked there wouldn't be much of a recourse. The government store where I bought it is long gone, and even if the importer were the same I have no receipt. And if I did the importer would likely refund me my $26 and tell me to go home.

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

I'd open it now. Unless it is like the 85 (and it is not) then it would be hitting the downward slope I daresay.

Or flog it on the secondary market, probably get $500 for it if in good nick.

TravisW

Post by TravisW »

Here's a happy outcome.

Popped a bottle of Primo Estate, Joseph 1995 Cab Sauv Merlot (the wine later became their Moda Amarone), only to find it full of the wonders of TCA.

Pinged them an email and asked if they wanted the full bottle back for testing. They got straight back, apologised and told me that they didn't need the bottle, and that unfortunately they didn't have any Moda Amarone in stock but how about an Angel Gully Shiraz 2019?

Perfect. Love Primo Estate!

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Great service though I wonder if wineries should accept the bottle returned as a policy to prevent the fraudsters taking advantage of kind hearted customer service?

Perhaps it happens infrequently as wines in cork become a thing of the past with most wineries? Yet as Kay’s indicated it seems a prevalent practice that “strangers” demand replacement for corked wine which they suspect is ingenuine.

I’d be happy to wear $10 postage to return a bottle for testing as long as I received replacement. As wine lovers perhaps we shouldn’t be advertising a practice that is so proan to abuse?

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Agreed - we should always be prepared to return the corked wine, asap, so the shop or producer has a good chance to judge for themselves by nose or taste.

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

JamieBahrain wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:30 pm I kindly received a 2010 Block 6 ( in screw cap ) as a replacement for my corked 2001. Very pleased the issue has been completely resolved.

2010 is a fabulous wine. Like 99 points.
When not drinking a fine red, I'm a cardboard claret man!

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

I tucked it away in the cellar. Give it a few more years. 2001 and 2002 definitely ready to go.

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

Perhaps someone could amend the title of this thread?
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

No problems what would you like as the thread title? It’s hard to please everyone. If I’d deleted the thread after resolution of the dispute, I thought I may upset those who contributed.

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

"Kay Brother's Replaces Corked Wine"

JamieAdelaide

Re: Kay Brother’s Replaces Corked Wine

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Dragzworthy wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:42 pm
sjw_11 wrote:

JamieAdelaide

Re: Kay Brother’s Replaces Corked Wine

Post by JamieAdelaide »

There you go !

crusty2

Post by crusty2 »

Image[/img]Sadly had 2004 Zema Estate Cab and 2001 Zema Family Cab both faulty this weekend before settling on a 2006 Family Cab (screwcap) which was excellent. Email and photo sent with offer to send faulty bottles back to winery/rep.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Had the Zelma 04 recently and liked it as it was lean and savoury ( I’ve a foreign palate still I think )

Can’t change the title btw. Happy for admin to change it

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

I’ve asked SJW ( admin ) if he can help with the title change. I don't appear to be able to do it my end.

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

JamieAdelaide wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:55 am I’ve asked SJW ( admin ) if he can help with the title change. I don't appear to be able to do it my end.
All good, mate.

It only seems fair given the outcome. 👍🏻

sjw_11
Site Admin

Re: Kay Brother’s Replaces Corked Wine!

Post by sjw_11 »

I changed the first post but it hasn’t automatically changed the others … I will need to check, I’m sure there is a way to do that without going post by post to update it.
------------------------------------
Sam

JamieAdelaide

Re: Kay Brother’s Replaces Corked Wine!

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Thanks Sam, I think the headline about covers it for more than serious perusal.

Had another couple of corked wines this week from Barossa wineries and will offer straight up to send in the bottles. It’s a terrible situation for all parties! The liability of all punters present their corked Aussies must be significant and see wineries hoping the taint goes unnoticed.

crusty2

Post by crusty2 »

crusty2 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:44 pm Image[/img]Sadly had 2004 Zema Estate Cab and 2001 Zema Family Cab both faulty this weekend before settling on a 2006 Family Cab (screwcap) which was excellent. Email and photo sent with offer to send faulty bottles back to winery/rep.
Zema have kindly replaced the faulty wines with current releases. Wonderful service and i would highly recommend their wines. Zema pricing is still a bargain.
Thanks Sally @ Zema Estate.