Old Australians From Climate Controlled Storage.

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
JamieBahrain

Re: Old Australians From Climate Controlled Storage.

Post by JamieBahrain »

I’m ok with corks it’s just the acceptance and arrogance of bad quality control that I find maddening. Many seem to think it’s only the New World that suffers ! I did open 300 bottles for a dinner once, only six were Aussies, and of course one Aussie corked and of the remaining foreign wines we only lost one. Certainly was a big problem!

Coriole Lloyd Reserve 2001 last night was drinking superbly and bringing an elegance that only age can do for the McLaren Vale.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Rockford Basket Press 2001 is in its drinking zenith. Beautifully preserved scents of red and dark fruits, classic BP, fine and resolved with a palate complexity of dried fruit flavours.

After all the drama of the Kay Brothers Block 6 2001 not sure if I commented on the wine? Time has driven great elegance and I’d say in it’s style better a decade ago. I’ll try the 02’s onwards now. Under screw cap from here on in.

Teobaldo Cappellano

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

A couple of magnificently preserved Wendouree Shiraz Mataros from 94 & 98 reported on in the Wendouree thread. I’d just add climate controlled cellaring has come into its own. So I’m looking here at wines approaching the 25 to 30 year mark and the primary fruit is still fresh. Old tastings of Wendouree I conducted 20 years ago delivered wines from say the 70’s, where the Wendouree were delightful in their tertiary evolution- uneven and warm cellars.

A friend did a favour and I offered my cellar and lunch. They liked Grange in a joking remark, so I thought why not a vineyard that went into Grange? Kalleske’s Johann Georg 2003, the inaugural vintage I think? From a plot of vines from the 1870’s. I’d say it’s at its zenith- a sharp peak due the hot vintage and wood. Decadent and complex, liquored and dark fruited it runs evenly abs with a fruit and wood spiced persistence. I only had a glass as it went quickly!
Last edited by JamieBahrain on Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teobaldo Cappellano

Dragzworthy

Post by Dragzworthy »

JamieBahrain wrote:A couple of magnificently preserved Wendouree Shiraz Mataros from 94 & 98 reported on in the Wendouree thread. I’d just add climate controlled cellaring has come into its own. So I’m looking here at wines approaching the 25 to 30 year mark and the primary fruit is still fresh. Old tastings of Wendouree I conducted 20 years ago delivered wines from say the 70’s, where the Wendouree were delightful in their tertiary evolution- uneven and warm cellars.

A friend did a favour and I offered my cellar and lunch. They liked Grange in a joking remark, so I thought why not a vineyard that went into Grange? Kalleske’s Johann Georg 2003, the inaugural vintage I think? From a plot of vines from the 1870’s. I’d say it’s at its zenith- a sharp peak due the hot vintage and wood. Decadent and complex, liquered and dark fruited it runs evenly abs with a fruit and wood spiced persistence. I only had a glass as it went quickly!
That's a lovely tasting note..I know so little of the kalleske wines. Do they require much age on them?

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

I’m not sure. I have only Troy’s early vintages and can’t speak for the style now. Certainly early on I was very confident with their Greenock going 10-20 and Johann Georg same-same. Perhaps their Grenache somewhat less?

Lovely wines holding nicely-though drink up 03’s

Teobaldo Cappellano

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

Ever seen fills/condition on 36 year old wines like this?

IMG_0004.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Con J

Post by Con J »

Had a 2002 Yalumba Octavius last week, bought on release and in climate control. Lovely Barossa Shiraz still vibrant and looked half it’s age. These had a bad reputation for too much oak but this wasn’t that noticeable.

Cheers Con.

WineRick

Post by WineRick »

dave vino wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:33 am Ever seen fills/condition on 36 year old wines like this?

IMG_0004.jpg
Fantastic levels. Max/Stephen would have used 44mm corks of the highest grade. (Don't think they're 50mm.) Interesting alc. of 12.2%.

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Great levels! I’d expect that from climate-controlled cellars. In my experience, from storing since the 1990 vintage, perfect fills often the case. Sometimes there are exceptions and I recall a six pack of 96 Cyril Henschke looking short-filled just a few years after release. But it a mystery- either I didn’t notice upon purchase or pretty modest corks.

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Had a look at Turkey Flat from my cellar. I recall them coming onto the scene in the mid-nineties and they’ve rarely steered away from being lovely and understated wines.

A 1994 TF Shiraz was hanging on by a thread structurally. Age had delivered extreme elegance and suppleness, still ample fresh dark fruit in evidence. Next was an 2002 TF Shiraz which was effortless drinking. Ironed out perfectly with age, the fruit is pure and amplified by evolution. And we completed with a 2002 TF Cabernet Sauvignon that was loaded with bright and spicy cassis fruit, road a long ride of cool acidity and whispy aged tannins. A simpler style of Barossa Cabernet lacking the oomph of some of their neighbours.

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Beautiful old Cyril Henschke 1990. Last bottle. My favourite Australian Cabernet style when well-aged. It develops complexity in a very fine and delicate structure. Another 1998 Wendouree Shiraz Mataro which was tight and inexpressive upon opening. It blossomed with an hour in the decanter and I was very pleased a good friend loved the wine in their first experience with Wendouree.

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

JamieAdelaide wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:22 am Had a look at Turkey Flat from my cellar. I recall them coming onto the scene in the mid-nineties and they’ve rarely steered away from being lovely and understated wines.

A 1994 TF Shiraz was hanging on by a thread structurally. Age had delivered extreme elegance and suppleness, still ample fresh dark fruit in evidence. Next was an 2002 TF Shiraz which was effortless drinking. Ironed out perfectly with age, the fruit is pure and amplified by evolution. And we completed with a 2002 TF Cabernet Sauvignon that was loaded with bright and spicy cassis fruit, road a long ride of cool acidity and whispy aged tannins. A simpler style of Barossa Cabernet lacking the oomph of some of their neighbours.
I recall visiting them when they were brand new I guess... early nineties. I think the founders were friends of family friends. I would have been maybe 6 or 7? I think I still have some wine labels from the time. I have always felt a link since then, and when I eventually had the wines I agree they have generally impressed more than their "brand prestige". Nice notes Jamie...
------------------------------------
Sam

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

sjw_11 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:02 am I recall visiting them when they were brand new I guess... early nineties. I think the founders were friends of family friends. I would have been maybe 6 or 7? I think I still have some wine labels from the time. I have always felt a link since then, and when I eventually had the wines I agree they have generally impressed more than their "brand prestige". Nice notes Jamie...
Their Grenache is also underrated. One of the best from the Valley.

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

2001 Rockford Basket Press Shiraz was aromatically delicate, typically BP and subtlety nuanced. Very long and fine, loosing its stuffing with age and some herbal complexity on the edges. Very easy to drink at 20.

Jasper Hill Georgia’s Paddock 1991. Swan-Song glory! Very savoury, with the wood of youth developing nicely. Wild garden aromas, bitumen-dense fruit has leaned out and given to a mature black fruit sweetness. Long and still fine coating tannin. Utterly pleasurable.

mjs

Post by mjs »

Not necessarily a wine from controlled storage, but a wine that I have had in the cellar since purchase in the 90’s, Penfolds Bin 90A, Coonawarra Cabernet, Barossa Shiraz. One from an original six pack in a timber box, although have since bought many bottles at auction. This bottle in very good nick, beautiful fruit, resolved tannins, great bouquet, just everything this label is renowned for. Asks you to linger smelling the glass. Excellent!
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

WineRick

Post by WineRick »

Michael McNally wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:25 pm
sjw_11 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:02 am I recall visiting them when they were brand new I guess... early nineties. I think the founders were friends of family friends. I would have been maybe 6 or 7? I think I still have some wine labels from the time. I have always felt a link since then, and when I eventually had the wines I agree they have generally impressed more than their "brand prestige". Nice notes Jamie...
Their Grenache is also underrated. One of the best from the Valley.

Cheers

Michael
Didn't a TF Grenache win a Jimmy Watson?

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

Yes. the 2016 won the 2017 Jimmy Watson and the price has gone from $30 to $45 as a result!

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

Had a look at a 1990 Mitchelton Print ( mostly stored in CC ) and a 2002 Mitchelton Print.

The 90 was special. This is why we cellar wine! Lots of red and black fruit shades, oak carcass and finely structured, resolved and a hint of aged Shiraz sweetness.

The 2002 is boring and excessively chocolatety. It is actually worth cellaring further in the hope tertiary development provides interest! I’m pretty sure I got these on release at giveaway prices from DM- I see why and really disappointed to have fallen for a wine that was once pretty good. Five left!

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Thanks for the notes on these. This label was one of my first forays in Victorian wine. Drank a bottle of the 1990 at the 92 Edinburgh Cellars annual shiraz tasting, along with a bottle of YY Underhill, they were certainly swim throughs back in those days, with help yourself pours in big Riedel's!!

Picked up a dozen at $18 each, I think, along with some 91, 92, 96-98 and finished with the 02. You are right Jamie, no money at all, think $20 something was the maximum I paid. I have a smattering of the 90s vintages left and a sealed 02 sixer, yes agree, could live 30 years plus. As an aside, love the label, particularly Woo's Wood. Will have to dig one out...Print is a cracking wine.

Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

I always found The Willows from the Barossa Valley super value.

I put an 01 & 02 The Willows Bonesetter Shiraz on the lunch table yesterday. The 01 was voluptuous, beautifully scented with integrated oak and ripe shiraz fruit. Unexpectedly excellent. The 02 was far more restrained- could have used some aeration. Mushroom and earthy development, fruit was cool and in an understated violet spectrum. Palate is fine yet generous, a very long and even carry with menthol-toned acidity.

Well received wines and a bargain.

A 98 Noble One was in there too. It disappeared and I’d only inspected and sipped. Not much to recollect though it was in form.
Last edited by JamieAdelaide on Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjs

Post by mjs »

JamieAdelaide wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:18 pm I always found The Willows from the Barossa Valley super value.
Leanne, serving at CD at the Willows is a hoot!
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

JamieAdelaide wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:00 am Had a look at a 1990 Mitchelton Print ( mostly stored in CC ) and a 2002 Mitchelton Print.

The 90 was special. This is why we cellar wine! Lots of red and black fruit shades, oak carcass and finely structured, resolved and a hint of aged Shiraz sweetness.

The 2002 is boring and excessively chocolatety. It is actually worth cellaring further in the hope tertiary development provides interest! I’m pretty sure I got these on release at giveaway prices from DM- I see why and really disappointed to have fallen for a wine that was once pretty good. Five left!
Speaking of JW winners

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Yes forgot that the 1990 won the Jimmy, like the 1976 Wynns BL,1985 Pyrus and 1994 Leasingham think they got it right!
Cheers Craig

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

JamieAdelaide wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:18 pm I always found The Willows from the Barossa Valley super value.

I put an 01 & 02 The Willows Bonesetter Shiraz on the lunch table yesterday. The 01 was voluptuous, beautifully scented with integrated oak and ripe shiraz fruit. Unexpectedly excellent. The 02 was far more restrained- could have used some aeration. Mushroom and earthy development, fruit was cool and in an understated violet spectrum. Palate is fine yet generous, a very long and even carry with menthol-toned acidity.

Well received wines and a bargain.
Interesting notes... I enjoyed this producer when I visited them and have a couple of the Bonesetter's in the cellar, I was worried about the ripeness for cellaring, so good to hear they last a fair while.
Sam

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

I guess proper cellaring helps. The 01 a big wine- age had been kind and not a hint of portiness more an alluring understated sweetness. I’m pretty sure the Bonesetter just north of $30 on release. Around the time other Barossa flagships grossly inflating pricing on Parker coat-tails.

JamieAdelaide

Post by JamieAdelaide »

I had a mid-weeker from Rick Burge last night. A 2002 Olive Hill Shiraz Grenache Mourvèdre. Wow! At about the time of this vintage I felt Rick would be the one to nail the Rhone-style blend in Australia. This was a beautiful wine holding at its peak. It’s wild, dominated with red fruited tones with darker fruit in support ( fresh and not a hint of leather ) The wine has always been well defined structurally, time bringing out suppleness and ease of drinking. You come back to the nose again and again. That wild edge gets you in- probably the Mourvèdre which seems often to be confused as brett.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

JamieAdelaide wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:11 am I had a mid-weeker from Rick Burge last night. A 2002 Olive Hill Shiraz Grenache Mourvèdre. Wow! At about the time of this vintage I felt Rick would be the one to nail the Rhone-style blend in Australia. This was a beautiful wine holding at its peak. It’s wild, dominated with red fruited tones with darker fruit in support ( fresh and not a hint of leather ) The wine has always been well defined structurally, time bringing out suppleness and ease of drinking. You come back to the nose again and again. That wild edge gets you in- probably the Mourvèdre which seems often to be confused as brett.
I remember trying an Olive Hill wine at a tasting and remember it being somewhat feral in an attractive way. I regret not buying a bottle or two and Jamie's note only reinforces it. Also, a very apt perception on Jamie's part about Mourvèdre and brett.

Although I do not recall seeing a Rick Burge winery when I was in the Barossa, that tasting here in Canada introduced me to the wines and provided me with one of my highlight moments in an overseas bar. This was a long time ago and when the subject of Australian wines came about I made a remark about how unfortunate it was that Australian winemakers had succumbed to the bold, big fruit impetus brought on by some American critics. One fellow there, somewhat condescendingly, suggested that I probably didn't know of some of the better Australian wineries. With genuine interest I asked him to name me some of the wineries he was talking about to which he said "Have you heard of Burge wines?". Spotting the opportunity I replied "Which one, Grant Burge or Rick Burge?" Poor fellow didn't really know and I have to confess that I enjoyed the moment.

By the way, I still have a bottle of the 1998 Noble One that I bought in Sydney and am glad to hear that Jamie thinks it is "on form".

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

phillisc wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:25 pm Yes forgot that the 1990 won the Jimmy, like the 1976 Wynns BL,1985 Pyrus and 1994 Leasingham think they got it right!
Cheers Craig
They certainly got the 76 WBL right. I open one every few years and they have pretty much all been stupendous. Might be time for another.

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

Mike Hawkins wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:50 am
phillisc wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:25 pm Yes forgot that the 1990 won the Jimmy, like the 1976 Wynns BL,1985 Pyrus and 1994 Leasingham think they got it right!
Cheers Craig
They certainly got the 76 WBL right. I open one every few years and they have pretty much all been stupendous. Might be time for another.
How many do you still have left Mike?
Sam

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

sjw_11 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:50 am
Mike Hawkins wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:50 am
Cheers Craig
How many do you still have left Mike?
Yes remember trying the 76 in the mid 80s, when I was just getting into Wynns...profound. Around the same time had my one and only 1980 St George, another JWT? I think I have definitely one, possibly two left. I will look at it in 2026, along with the other '6' vintages that I have.
Cheers Craig