January 2022 Purchases

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
kenzo

Re: January 2022 Purchases

Post by kenzo »

Cheers Ian - sounds fantastic!
Mine coming up in a couple of weeks, with no chance of travelling back to Australia to enjoy the wines I had been saving for the occasion...

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

kenzo wrote:Cheers Ian - sounds fantastic!
Mine coming up in a couple of weeks, with no chance of travelling back to Australia to enjoy the wines I had been saving for the occasion...
All the best Simon. That really sucks. This whole COVID thing has thrown so many plans into disarray for so many. I wasn’t even going to have a get together at all because of COVID, but a mate talked me round. Glad I did as I really enjoyed the night. Whatever you do, enjoy!

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Con J

Post by Con J »

mychurch wrote:
Con J wrote:A few auction buys from last week.

1 X 1971 – Hardys – Bin C986 Cabernet Sauvignon Claret.
1 X 1971 – Kaiser Stuhl – Red Ribbon Shiraz.
1 X 1962 – Lindemans – Bin 3080 Show Reserve Porphyry Semillon.
2 X 1991 – Mount Mary – Quintet.
2 X 1996 – Mount Mary – Quintet.
2 X 1999 – Mount Mary – Quintet.
1 X 2000 – Mount Mary – Quintet.
2 X 1966 – Wynns – Cabernet Sauvignon.
1 X 1957 – Wynns – Claret.

Cheers Con.
I had my eye on a few of those, particularly the Lindemans. They've waited though to sell when the vintage becomes significant, and I dont really want to pay that extra premium. Mute point though as for the 2nd auction in a row I missed the last 10 minutes when all the action happens - really wanted those 04 Pavillion Blanc
Hi Cameron.

Yeah the Lindemans looked interesting, on the label is said this was released in 1996. Level was in the neck but the colour was pretty dark, probably a very expensive curio. I’ll keep this for the next time we get together.

The Hardy’s wasn’t cheap either, I remember getting one of these maybe five years ago and it was about a third of what this cost.

Cheers Con.

Con J

Post by Con J »

phillisc wrote:Con, think I have asked you before, was the auction house MW?
I have 66 and 68 will open one of each at some point.
Langton's had a 65 (birth year) in a December auction last year, think the bid was $360ish and I missed out.
Good pick up on the Menzies and the Katnook Malcolm

Cheers Craig
Hi Craig.

Yes it was MW, this is the only auction house I buy from, had a falling out with Langtons about 15 years ago and never went back.

Some of these old Black Labels are not cheap at all any more, I got a 1958 a few of months ago to add to the vertical.
I'll be interested in you thought on the 66 and 68 when you open them.

Too bad we’re so far away from each other I’m sure between us we could do some amazing tastings.

Cheers Con.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Con J wrote:
phillisc wrote:Con, think I have asked you before, was the auction house MW?
I have 66 and 68 will open one of each at some point.
Langton's had a 65 (birth year) in a December auction last year, think the bid was $360ish and I missed out.
Good pick up on the Menzies and the Katnook Malcolm

Cheers Craig
Hi Craig.

Yes it was MW, this is the only auction house I buy from, had a falling out with Langtons about 15 years ago and never went back.

Some of these old Black Labels are not cheap at all any more, I got a 1958 a few of months ago to add to the vertical.
I'll be interested in you thought on the 66 and 68 when you open them.

Too bad we’re so far away from each other I’m sure between us we could do some amazing tastings.

Cheers Con.
Yes Con, I 'only' paid about $140 for the '66 and picked up 2 '68s and 2 '92s from an auction house here in Adelaide, last year for $300 for the 4 bottles. Thought that was pretty good.
I would like a '65 and see there was one last month at about $390ish...guess that's the market rate...sheesh a 50/50 bet re cork taint/oxidised/stuffed!

I am thinking of subscribing to MW, however, in terms of old Wynns, I'd be bidding against you I expect :wink:

Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

mjs wrote:
JamieBahrain wrote:Bought a bunch of wines at Auction last night. Noting ridiculously expensive or of note. Just under-$30 for entertaining and keeping uninterested folks away from my good stuff. Some Reserve Wild Duck Shiraz and a magnum of Lindemans commemorative 1990 Cabernet of note
Jamie,
Good luck with the Lindemans, hope it’s ok. Have had several mags of this over the years. Hasn’t really been getting any better for some years now, so much so that I don’t think I’d go there again.
Cheers, Malcolm
I opened the Lindemans about 7 years ago and it lacked fruit. Not surprising given the ABV was just 12.5%. Picked to early IMO.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

Con J

Post by Con J »

Chuck wrote:
I opened the Lindemans about 7 years ago and it lacked fruit. Not surprising given the ABV was just 12.5%. Picked to early IMO.
1982 Wynn’s Black Label- 12.0%.
1988 Wynn’s John Riddoch - 12.3%.
1991 Wynn’s Centenary - 12.5%.

Most of Mount Mary from the 90’s and 00’s are 12.5%.

Just to name a few and most if not all still drinking well.

Cheers Con

WineRick

Post by WineRick »

Chuck wrote:
mjs wrote:
JamieBahrain wrote:Bought a bunch of wines at Auction last night. Noting ridiculously expensive or of note. Just under-$30 for entertaining and keeping uninterested folks away from my good stuff. Some Reserve Wild Duck Shiraz and a magnum of Lindemans commemorative 1990 Cabernet of note
Jamie,
Good luck with the Lindemans, hope it’s ok. Have had several mags of this over the years. Hasn’t really been getting any better for some years now, so much so that I don’t think I’d go there again.
Cheers, Malcolm
I'd focus more on overcropped fruit that may or may not have had juice-bleed at the crusher (saignee), coupled with some atrocious viticultural practices employed over a decade or two in the Coonawarra. Nothing wrong with 12.5% abv from a moderate, quality crop, free of mildew, in a region with favourable ripening conditions.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Very good points made about 12.5% being far from a problem under the right circumstances, and very much a problem under the wrong ones.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Oops, we're into February, see next thread.
Last edited by Mahmoud Ali on Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Oops, we're into February, see next thread.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Chuck wrote:
mjs wrote:
Jamie,
Cheers, Malcolm
Yes a modest wine! Opened last night with pizza and it was as you described- structurally pleasant however Spartan in the fruit dept.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano