Visiting Tuscany

Italy, Italian Wine, Italian Food, Travel to and within Italy ... all things Italian
Waiters Friend

Visiting Tuscany

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

On my last trip to Italy, we visited a couple of tiny hamlets that had been heavily invested in and restored to provide winery / restaurant / accommodation facilities. Two examples spring to mind: https://volpaia.com/en/#volpaia, and https://www.livernano.it/

It occurs to me that, like old castles, there must be lots of these scattered throughout the Tuscan countryside. Can anyone recommend others?

Cheers
Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

jimv

Re: Visiting Tuscany

Post by jimv »

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Certainly worth browsing Agriturismo.it as it lists many farmstays where the accommodation is both historic and well-kept. Not in Tuscany, but we've enjoyed this place in Ghemme http://www.ilcavenago.it/ which isn't a winery, but amongst other produce grown / reared there, they also farm a vineyard of the same name, which goes into the Cru wine made by the lovely people at Miru. I'm sure there are plenty similar in Tuscany.

In *Tuscany I've not been anywhere that properly fits the brief, but if they are still open, Politian apartments in Montepulciano are charming and well-kept and historic. The owner is very engaging and quirkily doesn't put a TV in the apartments because he is embarrassed by Italian TV (which indeed is often awful). Apart from that quirk, they are very well-fitted out and tastefully so. Google suggests permanently closed, but I don't know if this is a Covid thing or something else. As an aside, he also helps out at Felsina winery, so would probably be very happy to arrange a visit.

Regards
Ian

* We've only had one holiday there, a mixed bag in Montepulciano (enjoyed); Siena (didn't much enjoy) and Pisa (enjoyed subject to the caveat that the area surrounding the field of miracles and between there and the two train stations, exhibits the very worst effects of mass tourism. The rest of the city is remarkably decent.

marsalla

Post by marsalla »

Love Tuscany, but for what it is worth I reckon the most Italian vibe you can get is to go to lunch at an agriturismo on a Sunday when everyone is doing there first communion. Everyone in their best, great early spring eating, families laughing, great experience.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

marsalla wrote:Love Tuscany, but for what it is worth I reckon the most Italian vibe you can get is to go to lunch at an agriturismo on a Sunday when everyone is doing there first communion. Everyone in their best, great early spring eating, families laughing, great experience.
Fully agree on agriturismo meals, which contrary to what we might expect, often have mostly local people attending in larger / family groups. Food quality is often excellent, to a large part down to them growing / rearing their own produce (or sourcing it from local friends). Local wines are typical when in a wine region, again with that source from local friends mentality. Overall pricing is often very cheap for the food you get (and there's often a LOT of dishes brought out). On top of that, there is that convivial atmosphere, which makes it feel very welcoming.