TN: Peel Estate Shiraz 2007

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Waiters Friend

TN: Peel Estate Shiraz 2007

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

The last time (I think) that I posted about this wine was as part of a vertical tasting held in 2015: https://forum.auswine.com.au/viewtopic.php?f ... 07#p128357

The notes from that time were "Peel Estate Shiraz 2007: This one is somewhat jubey and confected (one taster came up with "red Allen snakes), with mulberry, plums and cloves alongside some kirsch, brambles and black pepper. The palate is full bodied, with some melted chocolate (think texture as well as flavour). The acid and fine grippy tannins provide some balance in a wine that is drinking well now."

This is my last bottle, over 6 years later. It is surprising how much of the previous TN still holds true. The differences are the tendency towards red fruits now (more of the Allen's red snakes) and less of the plums. Pepper has disappeared altoghether, but the cloves and brambles have become more noticeable. There's still a little jubey fruit.

The palate is now only medium-bodied, and the chocolate (taste and texture) is barely noticeable. There's still freshening acid, andthe tannins are slightly grippy but well integrated.

Not necessarily the greatest of the Peel shirazes, but it's been an interesting wine to watch its progress.

Cheers
Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.