UNPHILOSOPHICAL ABOUT NEW WORLD

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Merino

UNPHILOSOPHICAL ABOUT NEW WORLD

Post by Merino »

Post by Guest »

that scrotum guy is way off the mark with his moral high ground.
boy, what a sad sack clown he sounds. its the 21st century afterall
and new traditions are being established by new world pioneers [many of them from Oz]. these brave souls people have stepped outside the paradigm and refuse get stuck in the rut of old outmoded ways. if the old way works tehn fine, if it is found lacking then improvise and imagine new directions.

really, i say, never let the intellect get in the way of a good drop.

viva la difference i say.

MartinE

Re: UNPHILOSOPHICAL ABOUT NEW WORLD

Post by MartinE »

Merino wrote:http://www.harpers-wine.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1667

Damm you Roger Scruton!

It's pseudo-intellectual superior crap like this that explains why we Australians often brand the Poms as pompous wankers...

I wonder how the bulk of the UK and US markets feel about being branded the "moron market" ??! :roll:

M.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

MartinE wrote:

Damm you Roger Scruton!

It's pseudo-intellectual superior crap like this that explains why we Australians often brand the Poms as pompous wankers...

M.

Which would would lead to us branding Australians as ... ? Let's not go there.

...but yes, it did read as pseudo-intellectual crap & most people will just have a laugh at it.

Ian

MartinE

Post by MartinE »

Ian S wrote:
MartinE wrote:

Damm you Roger Scruton!

M.

Which would would lead to us branding Australians as ... ? Let's not go there.

...but yes, it did read as pseudo-intellectual crap & most people will just have a laugh at it.

Ian

... I guess one generalisation (Scrotum's) deserves another (mine) deserves another... :twisted:

Hopefully you're right, Ian...You can't ALL be idiots :wink:

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

He's a Philosopher by trade so I'd expect as little from such a tool.

Philosophers are like Vacuum Cleaners.
They suck up a heap of bullsh!t and blow out hot air. :)

Cheers
Ian
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

TORB

Post by TORB »

n4sir wrote:He's a Philosopher by trade so I'd expect as little from such a tool.

Philosophers are like Vacuum Cleaners.
They suck up a heap of bullsh!t and blow out hot air. :)

Ian,

You bastard! :twisted: You are responsible for me spewing wine all over my computer screen. :shock: LOL when I read that comment of yours. :D
Cheers
Ric
TORBWine

Billy Bolonski

Post by Billy Bolonski »

n4sir

I am shocked!!

As a philosopher by trade myself, I take great offence to you comment. Although I agree it is a very good description of some in the business.

I have found that philosophy helps my wine enjoyment as much as wine helps my philosophy.

Personally I believe as much 'bullshit and hot air' come from wine writers.

Oh, I agree this was a most stupid and ignorant article.[/quote]
Philosophy, I'm in it for the money.

Bob

Post by Bob »

You have to admit that Scruton is no moron. After all, he has devised a way to get paid for such drivel :(. Also, you have to feel sorry for him. I believe he has a terminal illness, since the symptoms are quite obvious: constipation of the brain and diarrhea of the mouth. :roll:
Cheers,
Bob
The best opinions, like the best wines, are well balanced.

BA

Post by BA »

It's very interesting his use of the term "moron market". Coming from the land who's affinity with Jacob's Creek literally launched our export industry almost single handed.

It's sounds to me like he's got the hot air market cornered, being both a Philoshopher and a wine writer :roll:

cheers
BA

Post by 707 »

Scrotum's article is hardly worthy of comment, he's obviously a sad individual with an unsatisfactory sex life.

n4sir, I hope you wash your mouth out before you join us again, we don't use such language of course at f***ing Blacktongues. I also had a smile at your comment!
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!

KMP

Post by KMP »

When someone calls me a moron I feel I must investigate further. Dear old Prof Scrotum, uhm, Scruton has a rather sordid past. As this little piece details.

Mike

Post by Guest »

n4sir, I hope you wash your mouth out before you join us again, we don't use such language of course at f***ing Blacktongues. I also had a smile at your comment!

I'd be happy to wash my mouth out Steve...

With any of the upcoming wines in the Blacktongues 2002 Super-Cabernet or Class of 1998 tastings! :wink:

n4sir

I am shocked!!

As a philosopher by trade myself, I take great offence to you comment. Although I agree it is a very good description of some in the business.

I have found that philosophy helps my wine enjoyment as much as wine helps my philosophy.

Personally I believe as much 'bullshit and hot air' come from wine writers.

Oh, I agree this was a most stupid and ignorant article.

Don't try to take my salvo too much to heart Billy, my tongue was firmly in cheek with that one.

If you think that's bad you should hear what I say about Accountants! :D

Cheers
Ian

Post by Guest »

Scrotum's article is hardly worthy of comment, he's obviously a sad individual with an unsatisfactory sex life.

On the contrary, it merely puts his hand to better use than typing that rubbish