Durif

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
TravisW

Durif

Post by TravisW »

We had a beautiful Morris Durif 2009 a few nights ago. Great value for money and it went a treat with homemade pizza.

What's your favourite Durif?

Cheers, Travis

Waiters Friend

Re: Durif

Post by Waiters Friend »

There's a couple of good examples coming from Faber and Myattsfield in Western Australia
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

paulf

Post by paulf »

In recent years, I have bought the Rutherglen Estates Renaissance Durif, Andrew Buller Wines Cannobie Durif and Scion Durif Viognier
The Campbells Barkley is usually pretty good.
I agree the Morris is very solid for the price they charge and I'll trying to put a few bottles away. I do have a 2001 I need to open soon and a 98 that I had last year was pretty smart too.

As a general comment I think there has been a stylistic shift that has probably occurred over the last decade or so towards being a little more approachable at a younger age. I'm not sure I'd necessarily need to wait a decade to look at the Scion or the Renaissance in particular, which was usually my rule with Rutherglen Durif.

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

I was very impressed by a Rutherglen Estates durif a few years ago, cellared well and drank way better than the pittance it was being sold for.

kenzo

Post by kenzo »

I'm keen to try the ATR Hard Hill Road Petite Sirah that's due to arrive soon to my Australian cellar. Possibly the southern-most planting of this varietal?

scribbler

Post by scribbler »

Durif used to be very ripe, monolithic, and slow (if ever) to develop. The worst examples are porty, raisiny, and can have green hard tannins.

However, I like Morris - capable of 20 years easy improvement, and their occasional "CHM" (in years when it doesn't compromise the standard). These are special.

I also like the Eldorado Road "onyx" Durif, and a very stylish 2019 Pfeiffer hit the spot. These have fruit freshness, but the structure to keep them graceful into the future.

As well as these NE Vic Durifs, there is some excellent value from the Riverina - give Nugan a try (there are others)