Is there an Italian equivalent of Pedro Ximenex dessert wine?

Italy, Italian Wine, Italian Food, Travel to and within Italy ... all things Italian
Waiters Friend

Is there an Italian equivalent of Pedro Ximenex dessert wine?

Post by Waiters Friend »

G'day

My partner and I are hosting an Italian-themed dinner party next week, and we are looking for a dessert wine to match a tiramisu. We reckon that a Spanish pedro would do it - rich, dark, Christmas cakey to match the richness of the dessert. However, given the Italian theme, I'm looking for an Italian wine equivalent. Vin Santo might not be dark or rich enough.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Waiters Friend

Re: Is there an Italian equivalent of Pedro Ximenex dessert wine?

Post by Waiters Friend »

I managed to find 2 x 500ml bottles of Passito di Pantelleria. Caramel in colour, 15% alcohol. Not like a Pedro, and the alcohol very slightly dominated the palate, luscious without being too viscous, and a pretty good match with the tiramisu
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

I'm guessing Hauner?
Despite being the established 'name'. I do think they are still making good wines, and I love a modestly priced and subtly volcanic red they make called Hiera. First time I tasted it, I said it smelled faintly of the volcanic 'whiff' we encountered on the Aeolian Island of Vulcano, where I enjoyed having a wallow in the open-air mud bath. Only a few months after drinking that wine, did I find out they grow grapes for it on.... the island of Vulcano!

marsalla

Post by marsalla »

Hi Ian,

The Aeolian Islands are lovely, My wife and kids had a week on Salina, whereas I being mid harvest, could only get there for a weekend, I was quite jealous. Great snorkeling though, and as ever the food was great. Am about to plant some Italians here in Oz over the next 12 months, I will keep you informed on how they go, Cheers

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

marsalla wrote:Hi Ian,

The Aeolian Islands are lovely, My wife and kids had a week on Salina, whereas I being mid harvest, could only get there for a weekend, I was quite jealous. Great snorkeling though, and as ever the food was great. Am about to plant some Italians here in Oz over the next 12 months, I will keep you informed on how they go, Cheers
I'll follow with interest!