What is going to happen to Marius

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
limkeith

What is going to happen to Marius

Post by limkeith »

Does anyone know? Last vintage posted….

Cactus

Re: What is going to happen to Marius

Post by Cactus »

I think he said it was going to retire with him. Ie he planted it, nurtured it and will maybe let it rewild? I dunno interested in answer

Croquet King

Post by Croquet King »

If you had of asked me 5 years ago then I'd say Roger should definitely sell the business.

In the mean time I've started my own business and grown it (only small).
The question is would I trust someone to take it over as my name is linked to the business whether I'm there or not.
Could I just walk away - I guess I don't know until I get the opportunity but it would be very difficult.

In the mean time I have some fantastic wines to celebrate an artisan like Roger when I drink them.

Also as I get older I want to buy things from people not companies - I want to know the history and background. Maybe I'm getting more romantic in my old age.
I appreciate all forms of alcohol, as long as its wine.

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

Love to know who is getting the grapes.

Croquet King

Post by Croquet King »

all this talking about Marius I opened a 2017 End Play tonight - it was drinking really well and opened up nicely over a few hours.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Looking forward to getting my order, some for me and some for the lad
The opportunity to help out with picking the grapes for a couple of years was priceless

I was somewhat late to the Marius party but with Gavin here and then Roger himself, manged to pick up 2013 vintage onwards.
I don't think there will be any problem finding a home for the grapes.

Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

I will always remember fondly my picking day in 2018. Perfect weather, not too hot, great conversation, great food and wine, stunning vista. Left with some of his wines; one of which will be left for a special occasion or retained as a memory. The day reminds me of our days picking olives on a friend's farm in Watervale. Now in Sydney these memories of SA will stay with me.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

Alan Foo

Post by Alan Foo »

Finally, placed my order of 2019 Marius Simpatico Shiraz and 2019 Marius Symphony Shiraz. Thank you Roger

Alan Foo

Post by Alan Foo »

2019 Marius wines all sold out within 2 hours. That is offer at 6.41pm and Sold Out at 9.01pm

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Lucky I got 12 of each of the 2019s back in the first run in July. Many thanks again Roger.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Barney

Post by Barney »

I got my order in at 9.03 for 6 of everything and then saw an email I'd received 2 minutes earlier from Roger advising all wine had been sold out, just received an email from Roger advising that he could offer 2 Simpatico, 4 Matarius, and 6 End Play which I have gladly accepted...no Symphony unfortunately but is far better than nothing at all.

via collins

Post by via collins »

That Matarius is a gem.

Leave as long as you possibly can.

I have had a couple of 2010s this year, so expressive, rich, best mataro I've had outside Bandol. But they need time....

xwwines

Post by xwwines »

Very pleased to have had my credit card charged for my full order of Marius today - 6x Simpatico and 6 x Symphony. If anyone is interested, I returned my form at approx 4pm after receiving Roger's email at 3:41pm.

A_Steady

Post by A_Steady »

Roger would be a very busy man atm

mini2

Post by mini2 »

A_Steady wrote:Roger would be a very busy man atm
So busy that he's charged my card twice, called up straight away to apologise for the mistake and offered to refund me straight to my bank account - how good is that. I had a bit of a yarn with Roger while he's on the line; I've explained myself that I wasn't trying to game the system and ordered 12 of each (that's what it says on the form vs the 6 of each on the email) and he admitted things were rushed hence the mismatch. Glad I got that off my chest :oops:

Croquet King

Post by Croquet King »

yes I noticed that - I'd assumed that some people could order 12 and others 6.
As the email clearly stated 6 that's what I ordered.

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

End of an era and I'll savour these last few.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

I hope at a minimum his vineyard is retained with the grapes being sold to a small local producer who will produce equivalent quality wines. A single vineyard wine under another label? At best purchased by a new small producer who will carry on the tradition. Who is the current winemaker? Is it Roger?
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

[quote="xwwines"]Very pleased to have had my credit card charged for my full order of Marius today - 6x Simpatico and 6 x Symphony. If anyone is interested, I returned my form at approx 4pm after receiving Roger's email at 3:41pm.[/quote]

Same same, 6 + 6 - sent my form back within 15 minutes of receiving it and got the "sold out" email early that evening!
Last edited by WAwineguy on Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

xwwines

Post by xwwines »

WAwineguy wrote:
xwwines wrote:Very pleased to have had my credit card charged for my full order of Marius today - 6x Simpatico and 6 x Symphony. If anyone is interested, I returned my form at approx 4pm after receiving Roger's email at 3:41pm.
Same same, 6 + 6 - sent my form back within 15 minutes of receiving it and got the "sold out" email early that evening!
Great work - I literally had a note in my diary for the 1st of September in order to avoid appointments so I could jump on the email as soon as it arrived!!