NWR - Are You Fastidious or Fussy about things other than Wine?

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
ticklenow1

Re: NWR - Are You Fastidious or Fussy about things other than Wine?

Post by ticklenow1 »

Wizz wrote:
ticklenow1 wrote:For me, one of the things I am very fussy about is my golf clubs. I hate bag chatter on my forged irons, so I always use iron covers. Some of my mates always take the mickey out of me about how fussy I am with them.

Cheers
Ian
Ooh I can relate! My Srixon 765s are a bag-chatter mess, but I'm gaming Ping i210s now so it isn't much of a problem :)

And yeh, I give hell to my iron cover using mates :)
Well my Z765's are spotless and my new ZX7's will be the same :mrgreen:
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

mjs wrote:Couple of my NWR interests about which I am fastidious

Cooking Thai food
bbq'ing steak (and serving with red wine of course, so only partially NWR :lol: )
Audio system and music listening
I'm also super fussy with music and home theatre gear. I've spent plenty of wedge over the years getting my system where I want it. But I still persevere with my Sonique speakers. Made in Australia (Adelaide company I believe) and still sound out of this world. Still really upset Oppo have stopped making disc players.

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

mjs

Post by mjs »

ticklenow1 wrote:
mjs wrote: Audio system and music listening
I'm also super fussy with music and home theatre gear. I've spent plenty of wedge over the years getting my system where I want it. But I still persevere with my Sonique speakers. Made in Australia (Adelaide company I believe) and still sound out of this world. Still really upset Oppo have stopped making disc players.

Cheers
Ian
Ian,
I have Oppo BDP-93 and 95, excellent machines, bit old now, but I’m mainly streaming stuff nowadays. Magnepan speakers here.
Cheers, Malcolm
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

mjs wrote:
ticklenow1 wrote:
mjs wrote: Audio system and music listening

Cheers
Ian
Ian,
I have Oppo BDP-93 and 95, excellent machines, bit old now, but I’m mainly streaming stuff nowadays. Magnepan speakers here.
Cheers, Malcolm
I’ve got a 203 and a 105. The 105 is the perfect disc spinner. High level CD player and plays all types of discs bar 4K which the 203 covers. Amazing media players.

mjs

Post by mjs »

ticklenow1 wrote: I’ve got a 203 and a 105. Amazing media players.
Yes, great players. I have been a long term fan of Oppo, even importing a couple of earlier DVD players from the US, before being available here. Bit like some of the wine in the COVID story thread, with Oppo not producing anymore, the 200 series units are now selling for drug money on the second hand market, particularly the 205
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

mjs wrote:
ticklenow1 wrote: I’ve got a 203 and a 105. Amazing media players.
Yes, great players. I have been a long term fan of Oppo, even importing a couple of earlier DVD players from the US, before being available here. Bit like some of the wine in the COVID story thread, with Oppo not producing anymore, the 200 series units are now selling for drug money on the second hand market, particularly the 205
I actually ordered the 205, but I'm pretty sure my local Oppo dealer stiffed me. I ended up with the 203 instead. By the time I got the 203, the 205's were unavailable everywhere. I wasn't too impressed as they assured me my name was on one of the 205's. Haven't been back to that shop since....

Cheers
Ian

Bobthebuilder

Post by Bobthebuilder »

GraemeG wrote:I'm no great shakes as a cook, but I hate hot food on cold plates. When I do bacon and eggs for the wife and kids on these cold winter Sunday mornings I don't just heat the plates, I heat the cutlery as well.
Also, there's one best way to pack a dishwasher. Cutlery especially. Learn it!
man I get you with the cutlery stacking, f you have one of those top row meile dishwashers
heating your plates I get you to
but heating the cutlery??? ok Im not going to discount the man whose cellar tracker tasting notes I respect so highly
so I'm going to try it before telling you you've gone lockdown nutz :D

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

ticklenow1 wrote:
Well my Z765's are spotless and my new ZX7's will be the same :mrgreen:
Those ZX7s look so nice...

Wizz

Post by Wizz »

So getting back to the OP -

Sake I could get very fussy about. If you havent explored that world - its as full of variety and nuance as wine is. Nothing like a lovely junmai daiginjo sake :)
Watches. I'm new to the world of watches but wow. So much variety and nuance, and like wine, there are ways to enjoy watches without spending a fortune.
I'm a hobbyist cheesemaker. You HAVE to be fussy about hygiene there or you will be making toxic bacterial messes.

Some of my wine drinking friends are serious audiophiles, to the extent of building their own gear. Some lovely analog setups in their homes :)

I think I could get very fussy about tea though, learned a heap about it on our pre covid holiday in Japan.
A thing i'm NOT fussy with - coffee. And I get crap from people for that.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

What about other forums? Besides wine forums. I am fairly active on Hotcopper, an Australian equities forum. It can be a dangerous place, because there are a number of uprampers and downrampers, people who say one thing with the intention of influencing others to do their bidding. It can suck you in if you are not careful. It is obvious though who are the quality posters who don't BS you around.

Oh, and my wife is absolutly hooked on bridge, and plays incessantly on BBO (bridgebaseonline). I'm not going down that rabbit hole.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

kenzo

Post by kenzo »

Wizz wrote:Sake I could get very fussy about. If you havent explored that world - its as full of variety and nuance as wine is.
Watches.
Living in Japan there are (were, pre-COVID) some fantastic tasting events for sake. I used to go to around 3 per year, usually about 1,000yen to get in with a free tasting cup/glass. Depending on the event there could be 25 or more kura from around Japan, each with various bottles across their range. Even better, many would have snacks ("otsumami") specifically from their region, and also bottles of the water ("shikomimizu") with which they make the sake. The variances in the bottlings could be the grade of sake, the type of rice used, the method used, yeasts, etc etc. Brilliant. I do have a friend who likes aged sake and some kura do age their product, but it's not a favourite of mine.

Watches - an expensive wormhole to go down. I've limited myself to 2 Sinns (bought before we had kids!) - an older EZM2 Hydro, and one of the original 212 U212 watches. But the fun thing I guess about watches is you can sell them and try others if you're on a limited budget like me...