Ramblings on Murrieta, Old Rioja, and Regrets

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Mahmoud Ali

Ramblings on Murrieta, Old Rioja, and Regrets

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

A picture of an old Murrieta Reserva and a couple of comments by Ian and Jamie on the "What Are You Drinking Tonight" thread prompted me to write this post.
Ian S wrote:Is it wrong of me to be casting glances at the Ygay?
Never mind a glance, for me old Rioja deserves a full on glare!

I was just starting to collect wines when I came across Marques de Murrieta. It was in the late 80s and was imported into Edmonton by one of two private wines stores allowed by the Government of Albera in Edmonton. The owner of the store, the late Hank Gillespie, said to me that Murrieta was a very traditional producer and they routinely exceed Rioja's barrel aging regulations. He said that in effect Murrieta' Murrieta's crianza was more akin to a reserva and their reservas to a gran reserva. That was back in the mid to late 80s, so the 1986 Murrieta Reserva that Jamie had was likely a gran reserva in terms of barrel and bottle aging.
(To see the post & picture: http://forum.auswine.com.au/viewtopic.php?f ... start=5520)

Back when I was starting to collect I mostly bought in pairs, occasionally a single bottle of a pricey wines that were above my usual budget.This was becasue I wanted to have a broad cellar with disparate wines from all over. As a result I only bought pairs of 1981 and 1982 Murrieta's 'Etiqueta Blanca' (white label) Crianza - both the red and the white. However it is what I didn't buy that forms one of my biggest regret.

The store also had on hand Murrieta's 1942 Castillo Ygay Gran Reserva Especial for something like C$50 a bottle - big sigh as I write this.It was already over 40 years old when I saw it and foolishly presumed that it was a special occasion wine meant for current drinking and not one for cellaring. However I was wrong as over time I've since realized that Riojas age exceedingly well. I can't help thinking that the 1942 might have cellared for a little bit before it needed drinking. It pains me to think that today I could have had a 69 year old wine in the cellar. As I write this, it occurred to me that I should check tp see if there are any Cellar Tracker notes - so off I go. Well, what do you know, the last 10 tasting notes, from 2018 going back to 2013, all rated the wine 95 points and above. So it is not dead and apparently a very fine wine. And then, to make me feel worse I'll check Wine Searcher. It shows that the wine currently retails for about C$650. Too much information is not necessarily a good thing: change the above "sigh" to unqualified depression. If today wasn't a dry day I'd be having a swig of whisky to drown my sorrows. The highest price for this is wine is C$1,500, and the US retailer offers the following: "The 1942 is from what is widely regarded as one of the top vintages in Rioja in the last century. The 1942 harvest occurred as Spain was still recovering from a brutal civil war and the rest of Europe had dissolved into the chaos and tragedy of World War II. This wine was aged in barrels for 40 years before being bottled in 1983. A true gem and an amazing opportunity. Only 1 bottle available." Good thing there's no gun or razor handy - I have just switched to the double-bladed razor so I could get up and go to the bathroom.

While I didn't buy the Castillo Ygay, I did spend a little bit more for a pair of 1982 Leoville Las Cases that Parker assured me was a 100 point wine (Hah!) that would cellar for decades. Today, knowing what I know, I would trade the Las Cases for the Castillo Ygay in a heartbeat. I have had a bottle of the 1989 Castillo Ygay courtesy of a friend but we drank it far too young and it wasn't really expressive - at least not then. It is of course a different wine now, apart from the vintage. If the retailer is to be believed the 1942 was bottled in 1983 - 41 years later. Today Murrieta is currently selling the 2010 vintage. In addition the website says it is made from a single vineyard wine planted in 1950, so definitely from different vines if not from a number of vineyards.
JamieBahrain wrote: I picked Ygay blind which upset the friend who brought it along.
I can well appreciate Jamie's skill in blind tasting, [Edit: I had meant to add "given his wide exposure to aged examples of old wines from around the world"], but in serving an old style Rioja his friend should have known better. Riojas used to be made differently and today there are only a handful traditional producers, notable Lopez de Heredia and La Rioja Alta. Back when I was collecting almost all were traditional in some fashion. While I was buying the Murrieta Crianzas I was also buying 1970s Riojas for not much more. I'm sure the fact that I had already stashed away some older bottles may have also influenced my decision to pass on the Castillo Ygay. There is a measure of consolation in that I now have bottles of Rioja that is now almost the same age as that 1942 at the time. Mind you it's only a small consolation.

Back to Jamie's comment. The old Riojas I cellared were inexpensive enough that I got to drink quite a few of them with my friends. The traditional method was uniform enough that a Rioja was easily identified in a blind tasting. We used to say that there was no point is serving a Rioja blind unless it was simply to guess the category, crianza, reserva, or gran reserva.

In 2019 my red wine of the year was a 1981 Bodegas Riojana Reserva - a 38 year old Rioja. I was going to pull out a 1978 Gran Reserva for the occasion but noticed that the ullage on the '81 was rather low. I cannot help but contrast this with a modernist Marques de Caceres 2004 'Gaudium' Reserva that I had a few years ago. It was a complete mess of stew-like fruit and new oak (though some joker on Cellar Tracker recently gave it 99 points). I feel certain that the Caceres wines from the 70s were an entirely different beast.

Cheers ................................. Mahmoud.
Last edited by Mahmoud Ali on Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

sjw_11
Site Admin

Re: Ramblings on Murrieta, Old Rioja, and Regrets

Post by sjw_11 »

Nice post Mahmoud ... I am definitely a Rioja fan. So much value on offer still, even from the "big names".
------------------------------------
Sam

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Superb - many thanks for posting that.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

I've found old Rioja ( and have stated this a number of times ) to be the most consistent expression in the fine wine world post-WW2.

Whilst picking old Rioja is pretty easy, you go a few steps further in picking the producer. This isn't too hard if exposed to verticals of a single producer or wider themes.

Sadly, up until a few years ago, these wines were at giveaway prices.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

JamieBahrain wrote:I've found old Rioja ( and have stated this a number of times ) to be the most consistent expression in the fine wine world post-WW2.
I do remember you saying it on this forum.
JamieBahrain wrote:Whilst picking old Rioja is pretty easy, you go a few steps further in picking the producer. This isn't too hard if exposed to verticals of a single producer or wider themes.
You are certainly right about picking the producer. While you are probably better at it, in our dinners when an old Rioja turns up it is invariably identified and that means we have only two things left to guess, the quality level and the producer so we always take a stab at it.
JamieBahrain wrote:Sadly, up until a few years ago, these wines were at giveaway prices.
When I started Riojas certainly were inexpensive. In the mid-80s I bought 1976 Faustino I GR for C$7.50 a bottle!! Bought two, then thought I should try one and see whether to buy any more. Of course it was very nice and when I went back it was out of stock. After a few month it was restocked it had doubled in price to C$15.

Cheers ........................ Mahmoud.

brodie

Post by brodie »

So - an auction house here in NZ has a 3 bottle lot of 1948 Murrieta Ygay Rioja Riserva in the current auction. Fill levels are amazingly good. I am tempted but already at NZ$200/bottle and another 4 days to go!

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

That's really cheap all considering. My friends that source old Rioja claim prices have risen dramatically on the secondary market abroad. Here you'll pay $1000 AUD. Utterly crazy I know. I'm pretty sure I drank the 1948 in Spain a decade ago- I'll check my photos. Would not have been more than 100 € at a Michelin Three Star.

Teobaldo Cappellano

brodie

Post by brodie »

JamieBahrain wrote:That's really cheap all considering. My friends that source old Rioja claim prices have risen dramatically on the secondary market abroad. Here you'll pay $1000 AUD. Utterly crazy I know. I'm pretty sure I drank the 1948 in Spain a decade ago- I'll check my photos. Would not have been more than 100 € at a Michelin Three Star.
Thnx, yes I have also observed the run up in old Rioja prices.

BTW the auction also has a bottle of the 1917 Ygay Gran Riserva which spent 45 years (!) in cask before bottling. I reckon the 1948 is a better bet tbh.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

JamieBahrain wrote:I'm pretty sure I drank the 1948 in Spain a decade ago- I'll check my photos. Would not have been more than 100 € at a Michelin Three Star.
Lucky you! Please post the picture if you find it.

Cheers ................. Mahmoud.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

brodie wrote:BTW the auction also has a bottle of the 1917 Ygay Gran Riserva which spent 45 years (!) in cask before bottling. I reckon the 1948 is a better bet tbh.
Sounds like the 1917 was made in the same way as the 1942 Castillo Ygay GR.

I took a look at Cellar Tracker and someone tasted the 1917 back in 2013 and said "A beautiful old wine. Definitely a treat. Still life in it. Subtle and very elegant. Wish I had another one" and rated it 93 points.

Meanwhile the 1948 was tasted by RickNat1 in 2014 and he/she said "This was big, beautiful and grew more powerful in the glass. Truly irresistible. Dark ruby red at 64 years old and embodied the best of Rioja" and conferred on it 95 points.

Everything depends on storage, and if price isn't a factor bid on both of them.

Good luck .......................... Mahmoud.

brodie

Post by brodie »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:
brodie wrote:BTW the auction also has a bottle of the 1917 Ygay Gran Riserva which spent 45 years (!) in cask before bottling. I reckon the 1948 is a better bet tbh.
Sounds like the 1917 was made in the same way as the 1942 Castillo Ygay GR.

I took a look at Cellar Tracker and someone tasted the 1917 back in 2013 and said "A beautiful old wine. Definitely a treat. Still life in it. Subtle and very elegant. Wish I had another one" and rated it 93 points.

Meanwhile the 1948 was tasted by RickNat1 in 2014 and he/she said "This was big, beautiful and grew more powerful in the glass. Truly irresistible. Dark ruby red at 64 years old and embodied the best of Rioja" and conferred on it 95 points.

Everything depends on storage, and if price isn't a factor bid on both of them.

Good luck .......................... Mahmoud.
The 1917 went for NZD850 = NZD1020 with buyers premium etc
the 1948 went for NZD 600 = NZD720

Way too much for my wallet

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Ouch, that's steep. Sorry you didn't get it.

rens

Post by rens »

Great thread. I’m a lover of Rioja. The quality you get for the price is excellent. I have some Murrieta Gran Reserva’s going back to 2001. And I’m lucky enough that I scored a single bottle of the 1998 La Rioja Alta Gran reserva 890.
My predicament is that of when to drink these. I often read reviews etc of the old bottles that blow people away with many decades of age on them. However I don’t want to hold onto things and finally open then to find they are well beyond their peaks. Especially when people are saying that the wines now are modern and not as traditional (read age worthy) as those of the mid to late 20th century, or as this thread shows those of the early twentieth century.
On a side note the big box store down the road has a members special on the Murrietta grand reserva especial 2009 for $130, down from about $160.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

I think you're pretty safe aging them well into their 20s...wine is a lot more resilient than we think and especially wines like Rioja where the classification has some barrel and bottle age requirements, I have no doubts that your grand reservas will age easily into their 20s if not longer.

But as far as peak..That's always the challenge given how subjective it is plus changes in winemaking....but I think you have a pretty big window with Rioja where you'll probably be happy with it....it isn't like it falls off a cliff...

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Vaguely recall the owners of Tondonia saying they released their wines when ready to drink. But feel free to age them. As she served us a 54 Gran Riserva .

Teobaldo Cappellano

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

rens wrote:Great thread. I’m a lover of Rioja. The quality you get for the price is excellent. I have some Murrieta Gran Reserva’s going back to 2001. And I’m lucky enough that I scored a single bottle of the 1998 La Rioja Alta Gran reserva 890.
My predicament is that of when to drink these. I often read reviews etc of the old bottles that blow people away with many decades of age on them. However I don’t want to hold onto things and finally open then to find they are well beyond their peaks. Especially when people are saying that the wines now are modern and not as traditional (read age worthy) as those of the mid to late 20th century, or as this thread shows those of the early twentieth century.
On a side note the big box store down the road has a members special on the Murrietta grand reserva especial 2009 for $130, down from about $160.
Thanks for the info Rens. It does hurt that I paid $60 for the 2004's though. But I lashed out and grabbed a couple. I've always liked the Spanish wines you've bought along to our offlines.

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Polymer wrote:I think you're pretty safe aging them well into their 20s...wine is a lot more resilient than we think and especially wines like Rioja where the classification has some barrel and bottle age requirements, I have no doubts that your grand reservas will age easily into their 20s if not longer.

But as far as peak..That's always the challenge given how subjective it is plus changes in winemaking....but I think you have a pretty big window with Rioja where you'll probably be happy with it....it isn't like it falls off a cliff...
I concur with everything Polymer said - and don't anybody faint!

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Couple of old Rioja from last night. 1955 Bodegas Palacio Rioja Glorioso Cosecha Especial had traces of what I love in old Rioja although for the most part, it was a wine hanging on by threads .

Good old CVNE. Classic in their style from
1990. Rich and ripe, delicious and somewhat of a heavyweight from my preferred.

WOTN amongst incredible offerings: 1945 Chateau Troplong Mondot from the Chateau’s cellars (I think my kind friend DW mentioned).

[url=https://postimg.cc/qz6XfVmq][img]https://i.postimg.cc/SNDZMmC6/CA9544-E0-8-B2 ... 2-AC51.jpg[/img][/url]

Teobaldo Cappellano

rens

Post by rens »

ticklenow1 wrote:
rens wrote:Great thread. I’m a lover of Rioja. The quality you get for the price is excellent. I have some Murrieta Gran Reserva’s going back to 2001. And I’m lucky enough that I scored a single bottle of the 1998 La Rioja Alta Gran reserva 890.
Thanks for the info Rens. It does hurt that I paid $60 for the 2004's though. But I lashed out and grabbed a couple. I've always liked the Spanish wines you've bought along to our offlines.

Cheers
Ian
Yes, they were a bargain. I still have mine waiting patiently.
Glad you picked some up Ian
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

[url=https://postimg.cc/qhj6Hbpf][img]https://i.postimg.cc/T1XVmFSP/0-F20-F126-15- ... 82-F71.jpg[/img][/url]

Another beautiful old Rioja. Could’ve have been 86 not 66.

Reinforcing my view there is no more consistent and resilient vintage wine than traditional Rioja

Teobaldo Cappellano