2018 Centennial Vineyards Rondinella Corvina

Italy, Italian Wine, Italian Food, Travel to and within Italy ... all things Italian
Chuck

2018 Centennial Vineyards Rondinella Corvina

Post by Chuck »

We had a day in Moss Vale yesterday and decided to do a random winery. Centennial Wines. The area is challenging for grape growing so our expectation were low. They appear to be quite pragmatic in their approach with a lot of grapes imported from Hilltops, Murrumbateman, Orange and even SA. My first try of this rare Italian grape and was quite impressed. Lovely savoury flavours. Medium weight. A nice food wine. Tasting notes said only 2 growers in OZ.

Overall the seated tasting experience was excellent and relaxed over around 1.5 hours. Unhurried. $10 for 10 wines of your choice. A huge range to choose from. Healthy servings allowing multiple tastings of some good wines and knowledgeable staff. Worth a visit if only for the Rondinella.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

Ian S

Re: 2018 Centennial Vineyards Rondinella Corvina

Post by Ian S »

Thanks for posting this.
Any mention of Appassimento or indeed aspirations to make an Amarone or Recioto (dessert) style wine using grape drying? I;d be surprised if they didn't consider it given how the grapes are used in the Valpolicella region.

That being said, if that's the result from normal methods, then perhaps it doesn't need any special treatment!

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Ian S wrote:Thanks for posting this.
Any mention of Appassimento or indeed aspirations to make an Amarone or Recioto (dessert) style wine using grape drying? !

Nothing that I recall.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

cuttlefish

Post by cuttlefish »

Chuck wrote:We had a day in Moss Vale yesterday and decided to do a random winery. Centennial Wines. The area is challenging for grape growing so our expectation were low. They appear to be quite pragmatic in their approach with a lot of grapes imported from Hilltops, Murrumbateman, Orange and even SA. My first try of this rare Italian grape and was quite impressed. Lovely savoury flavours. Medium weight. A nice food wine. Tasting notes said only 2 growers in OZ.

Overall the seated tasting experience was excellent and relaxed over around 1.5 hours. Unhurried. $10 for 10 wines of your choice. A huge range to choose from. Healthy servings allowing multiple tastings of some good wines and knowledgeable staff. Worth a visit if only for the Rondinella.
I'm quite surprised to learn that Centennial and Freeman are the only two. I've tried and liked Freeman. They might be worth you hunting down. I do wonder if Centennial are sourcing their fruit from the Freeman vineyards, which are in the Hilltops region.
Smack my [insert grape type here] up !