C.S. on the way back

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Colin

C.S. on the way back

Post by Colin »

I read recently where it was considered time for great Cab Savs to start making a renaissance for the variety.

Shiraz dominates the wine media and their accolades but I have noticed the emergence of some CSs and CS blends that are making an impression. Is it possible the sameness of Shiraz in Aust will precipitate a new found awareness of the king of grapes, or is this a normal correction in the market oversupplied with too much Shiraz.

Some CSs I am stocking up on before O/S discovers them and jacks our prices up like they did with the good quality Shiraz a decade ago:

Balgownie
Lilydale
Voyager
Dalwhinnie
Brand's

Are there any others worth tracking down?

Colin
Let us have wine and women, mirth and laughter. Sermons and soda water the day after.

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Colin,

I think you are safe for a while, the "Cabernet comeback" is a bit like the "riesling revival", it's talked up in some circles, but never seems to happen. Enjoy it while you can and pick out a few bargains, but there don't seem to be too many really great cabernet vintages recently, although 1999/2001 in MR and maybe 2002 in Barossa have served up some gems, with some good wines elsewhere from almost any vintage.

Some I've bought in the last year that may be worth chasing:

Balnaves 2001, Cabernet and Tally
Orlando St Hugo 2001
Reschke Bos 2002
Charles Melton 2002
Turkey Flat 2001
Devils Lair 2001
Katnook Estate 2001
Moss Wood 2001
Cullens Cab-Merlot 2001
Petaluma 2001
Woody Nook 2001
Houghton Gladstones 1999/2001

and a few others, there are always some gems around, but they seem to be a bit harder to find than the good shiraz offerings, there is a lot of green-tinged hard-edged cab around that really aren't worth the price.
Cheers
Brian
Life's too short to drink white wine and red wine is better for you too! :-)

Ian S

Post by Ian S »

Brian
Good to see you tucking into Woody Nook - a lovely little winery & the Gallaghers choice CS we tasted a few years ago was, to me, very good value (the Shiraz less so).
Ian

Bill

Post by Bill »

Well TORB already has a pretty good list there, but I'd add:

Majella - any vintage
Orlando St.Hugo 2000
Howard Park 'Leston' 2001
Plantagenet 2001
Alkoomi 2001
Saltram Mamre Brook 2002
Rosemount Traditional 2001

and in the higher price range, how about:

Houghton Jack Mann
Howard Park Cabernet
Wynns John Riddoch
Parker First Growth
Orlando Jacaranda Ridge
Alkoomi Blackbutt

etc
etc

There's heaps of good ones. Can't buy them all, although I try my best to ;)

Bill

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Ian S wrote:Brian
Good to see you tucking into Woody Nook - a lovely little winery & the Gallaghers choice CS we tasted a few years ago was, to me, very good value (the Shiraz less so).
Ian

Hi Ian,

I discovered Woody Nook in about 1994, I agree the Gallaghers Choice Cabernet is the pick of the wines and can be great qpr as well (around $25 for the 2001). I drank my last 92 in 2003 and it was mature but not fading, 95 is going strong and I'll be finishing off the 96 this year.
Cheers
Brian

Red Bigot

Post by Red Bigot »

Bill wrote:Well TORB already has a pretty good list there, but I'd add:
Bill

No, No, No, TORB is the bald one with the beard :? :wink: (as opposed to the bald one with a moustache, which is me.)

I agree with most of your list too, although I've never really liked the Blackbutt for some reason.

Looking at the famous recent issue 155 of the Wine Advocate, I don't think there is any need for alarm that the US is going to discover our Cabernet any time soon.
Cheers
Brian

Vickie

Post by Vickie »

...and Voyager Estate Cab Merlot

the 1998 is one of my faves :lol:

I believe the 2001 is about to be released too :arrow: phew, its been a long wait

Chow Chow

Post by Chow Chow »

Ratio out of 10 OZ Cab, I'm usually disapointed with 6 so I buy carefully. Either they r too green & leafty or too ripe and taste like a Shiraz. The rule of the thumb is to stick with proven region such as Coonawarra, Margaret River and most part of WA. The ony Cab which taste like a Cab fr McLaren is Maxwell LimeCave and Dorien fr Barossa. Most of the others r lacking in the varietal defination of a Cabernet. From Coonawarra I like Brands for value and everything fr Balnaves, Punter's, Murdock all coincidently made by Pete Bissell. Majella has loss some grounds since their stellar 90's vintages. Reschke Empyream 1998 is top notch. JRiddoch is a pale shadow of their earlier 90's vintage.
Fr WA I like Mamre Brook for value followed by everything fr Houghton(Margaret River, Gladstone, Jack Mann) Vasse Felix is a consistent performer and at the very top my $$$ goes to the current release of Cullen instead of MossWood. Used to be the other way round b4 the 1999 vintage. Devil's Lair is also excellent, more Bordeaux like IMO.
Last edited by Chow Chow on Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Purple Tongue

Post by Guest »

Mmmm looks like the consensus is that CS has lost its ground for good. I guess the question for me is, is this a trend that has also occurred in France and USA where CS is a common variety as well.

By the way forumites, no-one had Mount Mary in their top of the range list, I don't have the benefit of ever tasting it but it always rates highly with the wine aficionados.

Colin

Colin

Post by Colin »

that was me

Colin
Let us have wine and women, mirth and laughter. Sermons and soda water the day after.

Post by Guest »

Mt.Mary? The most overated wine IMHO. Where's my d'Bortoli Yarra Cab?

Colin

Post by Colin »

Ok, what makes it overrated in your opinion, price, taste, style, embelished reputation? I have not tasted it but clearly your passionate outcry suggests you have.

Colin

Chow Chow

Post by Chow Chow »

Embelished reputation? It's just a clever marketing ploy by Dr.Middleton in 1971 when fine wines in Australia were rare and few. Like a fable...the romance of a boutique winery and the allure of being in the elitist mailing list has since blown out of proportion.

Price aside, the taste is unfulfilling.
Style?...at best it aspired to a Bordeaux's Cru Burgeois, so eloquently elegant(underfruited) and underwhelming.
Last edited by Chow Chow on Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Purple Tongue

Colin

Post by Colin »

Fine, I won't waste my hard earned if I ever have the chance to snap one up. It's back to scouring the aisles for the Shiraz discounts.

Colin

Post by Guest »

Chow Chow wrote:Fr WA I like Mamre Brook for value .

Moondah Brook? Mamre Brook is from Barossa.

Bill

Post by Bill »

Red Bigot wrote:
Bill wrote:Well TORB already has a pretty good list there, but I'd add:
Bill

No, No, No, TORB is the bald one with the beard :? :wink: (as opposed to the bald one with a moustache, which is me.)

oops, sorry about that Brian :oops:

Bill

Bill

Post by Bill »

Vickie wrote:...and Voyager Estate Cab Merlot

the 1998 is one of my faves :lol:

I believe the 2001 is about to be released too :arrow: phew, its been a long wait

Oh yes, how did I forget the Voyager?! :oops:

2001 has just been released.

Bill

McLaren Vale Lover

Post by McLaren Vale Lover »

The Lime cave Cabernet and Reserve from McLaren Vale are impressive, especially the 97 which was a gem from a bad vintage.

Chow Chow

Post by Chow Chow »

Anonymous wrote:

Sorry, my mistake. It's Moondah Brook from Ginjin.

McLaren Lover, I like the Limecave alot and I believe it's by far the best expression of the Cabernet varietal fr the Vales. Havent try their reserve, how was it compare to the standard?
Purple Tongue

Cheyne

Post by Cheyne »

Hey,

I'm a fan the Yeringberg ($50), Yarra Yarra ($60ish at CD) and Domaine A ($65) Cabernets and for me they show that decent cabernet can be made in cooler climates.

Cheers
Cheyne

Post by 707 »

Colin, looks like you've already tracked down a few of the good ones and from various regions too.

Margaret River is a consistent producer although often a bit overpriced. The 1999 and 2001 were outstanding vintages there and others have given some clues to labels. Cullen Dianne Madelaine, Moss Wood and Gralyn are probably the top three but all nearing $100 a bottle.

Coonawarra consistently produces a large number of excellent Cabernets. Labels like Majella, Katnook, Balnaves, Parker Estate, Murdock and Penley are very consistent every vintage. Zema and Brands are making their best wines ever in recent times whilst one of the originals in Redman are starting to hit their straps as well and Hollicks 2002 reds are their best ever IMO. Wynns plight has been much documented but they will be back in a big way within the next couple of releases. Reschke and Koonara are newish players and stablemates that show promise whilst Leconfield is again making progress. Parker First Growth and Balnaves Tally are the high priced end of Coonawarra.

I'm a big wrap for Barossa Cabernet in 2002, look out for Rockford, Charles Melton, Kaesler and the tiny producer Glaymond.

In Clare you can't go past Killikanoon which is so underpriced compared to their much sought after Shirazes.

Good luck and let us know what you find and like.
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!

Bill

Post by Bill »

McLaren Vale Lover wrote:The Lime cave Cabernet and Reserve from McLaren Vale are impressive, especially the 97 which was a gem from a bad vintage.

What do you think of the 01 and/or 02?

Bill

ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Colin

This forum is predominately enamoured with big flavoured wines - you won't see many Mt Mary, Wantirna Estate or Yeringberg fans here. You also won't see a lot of Pinot reviews for the same reasons.

You will see plenty of reviews of full flavoured Shiraz however (and it can be a very good buying guide for that).

No problem with any of the above as long as you are aware of where you are location-wise in terms of opinions and biases on various wines.

regards
Chris

Post by Guest »

Chris
Thanks, your assessment seems spot on and is reflected in the replies received from fellow formites, big gutsy wines seem the order of the day. Personally my palate can cope with the full range and I like variety so I don't mind mixing the styles around to experience the difference. The bias you raise is interesting though and I wonder why this would be so, surely the cooler climate reds are not complete duds as some have suggested.

The beauty of living in Aus is you can enjoy a different style with excellent quality without looking too far. As for Pinot, it is one of the most perplexing and fascinating wine varieties, I enjoy it because of its exotic and feral flavours however it does lack the profile of long ageing wines which could explain its poor standing with forumites.

Colin

Broughy

Post by Broughy »

Bill,
The 01 Maxwell Limecave is a big wine. I opened a bottle late last year to get an ide on where it was going I wouldn't approach for several years yet. Inky dense with typical McLaren fruit flavours and complex and long. The 02 is likely to be a monster given the vintage. Is it released yet?

McLaren Vale Lover

Chow Chow wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Sorry, my mistake. It's Moondah Brook from Ginjin.

McLaren Lover, I like the Limecave alot and I believe it's by far the best expression of the Cabernet varietal fr the Vales. Havent try their reserve, how was it compare to the standard?

I prefer the standard version as the reserve is a bit over the top in terms of extraction. Still great though.

McLaren Vale Lover

Bill wrote:
McLaren Vale Lover wrote:The Lime cave Cabernet and Reserve from McLaren Vale are impressive, especially the 97 which was a gem from a bad vintage.

What do you think of the 01 and/or 02?

Bill

01 fantastic but not really a C/S for me - the stadard is more varietal and better for it.

n4sir

Post by n4sir »

Bill,
The 01 Maxwell Limecave is a big wine. I opened a bottle late last year to get an ide on where it was going I wouldn't approach for several years yet. Inky dense with typical McLaren fruit flavours and complex and long. The 02 is likely to be a monster given the vintage. Is it released yet?

The 2002 has been out for a while now, and it's great - it did particularly well on my scoresheet at a Blacktongues blind tasting 5 months ago:

http://www.auswine.com.au/forum/viewtop ... ght=#12296

I've been saying for a while that the 2002 Cabernet's at McLaren Vale have been very impressive, and most are priced even less than the Barossas. Serafino, Scarpantoni, d'Arenberg High Trellis, most less than $20.

I also agree with Steve about the Kilikanoon Blocks Road, which has always been extremely good for the money, but you could include quite a few Clare Cabernets in this bracket too.

Cheers
Ian
Last edited by n4sir on Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forget about goodness and mercy, they're gone.

smithy

Weedy Cabs

Post by smithy »

8)

Part of the "problem" with our Aussie Cab's is a style thing What we are told is good by the wine show ring and to some extent media, is thin weedy Cab's from cool climates dominated by French oak. Cabernet in particular can show poor canopy charachters and uneven fruit ripeness as herbaceous noses and hard tough immature tannins on the palate.

Big wines can have huge amounts of oak and still be balanced, which is why my new Cab to be bottled in Feb is 16.1%.
Haven't heard of a bigger Cab, but I'm sure they're out there.

Cab is very good to grow...Thick skinnned , Good bunch architechture.....I think the fact its OK to hang after a weather event means that its on the last of our lists to pick. It would be the last thing most wineries pick anyway. Maybe we should plan our style and put a bit more effort into Cab to pick it at its best.

Cheers

Smithy
home of the mega-red

Post by 707 »

Just a light one at 16.1 eh Andrew? Looking fwd to your 2004 releases!!
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!