Marius Wines

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
dave vino

Re: Marius Wines

Post by dave vino »

Couldn't resist :-) 30hr Sous Vide Lamb Ragu, put some of the meat aside for something else and lamented how I missed this years mailing, listening to The Seekers, I'll never find another you... chilly day called for a nice warming Marius...

PS I think I've only ever purchased direct twice, and maybe once from Gav, I usually grab my bottles off of others, 3 bottles here, 3 bottle there.

Great drop, real powerful elegance that I always enjoy in the wines.

IMG_0184.jpg
IMG_0183.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

The Lamb Ragu looks delicious! I notice that despite the Marius being only 7 years old it already has a good amount of crust on the side of the bottle.

Croquet King

Post by Croquet King »

Looks like you've dropped something orange into the lamb ragu Dave.
Apart from that looks great.

As the temp warms up I'm happy to host a tasting at my place one Sunday afternoon - maybe a lineup of Marius would do the trick
I appreciate all forms of alcohol, as long as its wine.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Carrots?

Dragzworthy

Post by Dragzworthy »

Carrots in a Ragu being controversial? My (Italian) mother always put them in!

Croquet King

Post by Croquet King »

maybe not controversial - I just don't like carrots
I appreciate all forms of alcohol, as long as its wine.

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

I recently introduced a mate to Marius by way of a 2014 Simpatico. He was a huge fan straight off the bat.
Great wine and great Value if you compare the quality to other well known big players.

I was privileged enough to meet Roger and be involved in 4 vintage/harvest days.
I went there expecting to pick grapes for the day, possibly learn a thing or two then head home.
But for me it was a lot more than that and a lot more fun than I anticipated.
Had some great chats to fellow pickers thru the vines over the day and really got a tiny taste literally and figuratively on what it takes to make some decent grape juice. I missed it this year and although I've tantalized picking somewhere else i don't think this kind of experience will be found as easily elsehwere.

As for telling someone how to run their business? Hmmm...yeah nah.. :roll:
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

via collins

Post by via collins »

Beautifully put Scotty.

I too have had a great adventure over the years with Roger.

Gary Walsh's review of the 2006 Symposium remains my favourite description of a wine ever: " Rich and decadent yet powerful and muscular – a gladiator relaxing at an orgy." . I often recall the line when enjoying a Marius wine. And I have enjoyed far too many.

Next up, Roger turns up as a character in LIGHTS OUT IN WONDERLAND, a fantastically trippy novel by DCB Pierre - he plays a maker of a mythological wine...and after the 2019s are gone, he bloody well will be mythological!

I've visited twice, and been shown great hospitality by the man, I shall treasure those times always.

A major part of his generosity has been making these peerless wines available at such a negligible price-point. It's been a blast Roger, good luck to you wherever the retirement takes you.

rens

Post by rens »

Gary nailed Marius with that one sentence. I’m very lucky to have a cellar with wall to wall Marius. Thanks Roger, I look forward to the very last vintage and savour each and every bottle you generously share with me And my family each year.
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Brucer

Post by Brucer »

I have a good few vintages og Marius stashed away for the future.
Current faves are the 2010 and 2015 Simpatico and Symphony.
When not drinking a fine red, I'm a cardboard claret man!