How has your cellar changed over time (and why or why not?)

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
brodie

How has your cellar changed over time (and why or why not?)

Post by brodie »

There is an interesting thread on WB about how people's cellars have changed over time and what have been the drivers for the changes.

I would love to hear from Auswine forum members on their experiences. Basically who are the top 10 makers in your cellar and has this evolved over time?
===================================================

Here is my cellar development story......

My wine journey started in 1981 when I moved from NZ to Australia. Fell for Aussie reds big time. Got onto Yarra Yering, Yeringburg, Wendouree and Rockford mailing lists in 1994. Left Aust in 1999 for USA.

Got stats back as far as 2005. The evolution from 2005 to 2020 represents a journey from Aussie reds to Red Burgs and Rieslings.

2005: Still on a bunch of Aussie mailing lists, but buying a lot more French wines especially Bdx at this stage. I found that red Bdx was an "easy" transition from Aussie reds.

1. Wendouree
2. Yarra Yering
3. Yeringburg
4. Penfolds
5. Rockford
6. Leoville Barton
7. Kays Block 6
8. Ch.Rieussec
9. Dalwhinnie
10. Leoville Poyferre

2010: By now have completely stopped buying Aussies but the legacy purchases are still dominating the stats. Burgundies and Donnhoff are now making an appearance in the top 10

1. Wendouree
2. Yarra Yaring
3. Yeringburg
4. Penfolds
5. Rockford
6. Leoville Barton
7. Giacosa
8. Donnhoff
9. Mugnier
10. Rousseau

2015: The buying of Red Burgs and Donnhoff is starting the make an impact on the top ten now

1. Wendouree
2. Yarra Yering
3. Yeringburg
4. Mugnier
5. Rousseau
6. Donnhoff
7. Penfolds
8. Rockford
9. Giacosa
10. Clavelier

2020: sold off around 50% of the Aussie holdings - just not drinking them fast enough. Patriotic buying of Felton Rd PN has led to a NZ winery in the top 10. Donnhoff has reached No.1. Now in drink down mode, very restricted buying of Champagnes, Rieslings and a few bits and pieces

1. Donnhoff
2. Wendouree
3. Rousseau
4. Mugnier
5. Chave
6. Felton Road
7. Produttori
8. Penfolds
9. Yarra Yering
10. Raveneau

cheers
Brodie

Matt@5453

Re: How has your cellar changed over time (and why or why not?)

Post by Matt@5453 »

brodie wrote: 2020: sold off around 50% - just not drinking them fast enough.
I recently sold one third of my cellar for the same reason, not moving through the wine fast enough. Most of what I sold was straight shiraz, as I am simply not enjoying aged examples as much as I used to, plus my wife mostly drinks white wine these days, hence overstocked on reds/shiraz.
This has re calibrated my cellar with a greater % towards Cabernet and Cab Blends, shiraz blends, Riesling with Pinot and some Nebb making up the greater volumes these days.

Rory

Post by Rory »

No doubt about it, i drink more and buy less now! So my Cellar is changing in a downward curve.
Mind you, not likely to run out in a looong time!

I Love Shiraz

Post by I Love Shiraz »

My cellar was once 500 bottles but is now a more manageable 400 bottles. Ideally I want to get it down to 300 bottles as my wife doesn't drink alcohol and I drink less these days.
My collection was once almost exclusively Shiraz witha bit of Riesling, but is now more balanced with nearly as many bottles of Pinot Noir as Shiraz. Ideally I would like to increase my percentage of Nebbiolo and Sangiovese, as I have developed a real liking for Italian varietals over the past decade or so.
I am also drinking less warm region wines, with a tilt towards cooler climate wines (including Shiraz).
Life is too short to drink rubbish wine.

Instagram: wine.by.michael

paulf

Post by paulf »

I don't have those historical sort of records to look back on and I really only started seriously collecting about 10 years ago.
For the first 5 or so of those I acquired port which currently makes up about 20% of the overall cellar. My number of bottles hasn't changed that much as most aren't ready to drink yet.

In the last 5 years, I've bought a lot more from Margaret River and less from Coonawarra.
I used to own more Shiraz than Cabernet until a few years ago.
I haven't bought any Barossa for quite a few years now, and only a little from Mclaren Vale
Beechworth which wasn't on my radar 5 years ago now has a decent share. I own more Domenica wines than any other producer.
I increased my purchases of pinot in the middle of the 2010s but haven't bought as much in the last few years.
There's Nebbiolo in my cellar - See Domenica, but I have started to have a look at others too from here and Italy
I'm more diverse when it comes to Riesling. Once it was mostly Clare and Eden, These days there will be some from Canberra and Great Southern, and a few from abroad - Germany Austria or the USA.
Another big difference from 10 years ago is the diversity of beer I have in my fridge and I have a range of stouts with some age on them, which simply weren't available back then.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Last 15 years have seen me buy fewer Bordeaux and Italians as well as Coonawarra reds and Hunter semillon.

Champagne, dry Riesling (Alsace and Clare) remain my most regular purchases with a trickle of Shiraz (And blends) and Sauternes for good measure. There’s also a few 6 packs pa of GC and PC burgundy as I hope to find out what the hype is about (haven’t worked It out after 30years).

AdamR

Post by AdamR »

My early cellaring was significantly more varied. A little of everything including many very old bottles from France and Italy. My original goal was to determine where my preferences fall. Five years ago, more or less, with the birth of my son, spendable income went down. So the rare old bottles stopped coming in and I started using the knowledge I’d learnt from the wide spread to purchase more of what I like.

3 years ago and finalised by Covid I stopped buying wine when I started my own business. Had no money. So I drank thru the collection including much of the spread of different styles.

That leaves me about a year ago in replacement mode. My clear now in red wine is approx 55% Pinot, 30% Nebbiolo, 5% others including cold climate Shiraz, low alcohol cab and some random. My whites is a combination of probably 90% Riesling, Chardonnay and semillon or sem sav. The 10% randoms that catch my interest. There are some sparklers, but I’ll generally buy them and drink as I like them young, couple of ambers, couple of dessert, couple of roses. I still have a couple of old and rare bottles but I’m actively drinking them when sharing opportunity arises. I am also almost solely buying Australian wine, mostly vic and tas, with itali being the exception.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

With access to foreign wines, my cellar has naturally seen the typical Australia collection of the 90's drift toward a well balanced, and diverse international cellar. Wendouree is still prominent. I've sort of become their unofficial ambassador in Hong Kong, presenting their wines in good drinking windows and in structured events.

As I became a fervent drinker and collector of Piedmont wines, just before the wave of popularity, about 15 years ago, I've built my cellar up to about 40% of wines from this region. I've moved away from striving for a balanced cellar and stockpiling what I really like and probably won't be able to source or afford in retirement. I wish I had of done this a lot sooner. Diversity is simple; buy something you don't usually drink a few nights a week if you so desire. If you have a passion, it's often harder. Many of the sort after Barolo wines were $50AUD a decade ago and now they are at the mercy of the secondary marker and inflated retail.

Go where your palate takes you. My advice would be not to listen to some popular and boring advice on cellaring you see from wine scribes or bloggers.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Redback

Post by Redback »

My current top 10 producers are as follows

Wendouree
Rockford
Tyrrells
Marius
Wynns
Blue Poles
Giovanni Rosso
Serrat
Produttori del Barbaresco
Grosset

Thinking back 10 years, my cellar would have been dominated by Penfolds, Wynns, Seppelt Petaluma and other big name brands. Basically shiraz and cabernet. However over time, my buying habits have changed due to wider tasting, greater information (like from this forum) and travels to different wine regions.

Shiraz currently represents a 1/3rd of the cellar and I expect that it will always be the major component. Barossa and Hunter will continue to be regular buys, though in lesser numbers in the past.
Nebbiolo/Nerello – I have been bitten and it matches the Italian food that I like to eat. This will grow as a percentage due to the mere fact that I will be buying more than what I expect will be drinking in the immediate future.
Cabernet - Following a trip last year, I expect that Margaret River will replace Coonawarra.
Riesling / Semillon – Historically I purchased more Riesling to age but I have re-discovered Hunter Semillon and am now re-addressing this balance
Pinot/Grenache/ Chardonnay – I enjoy but I lack of discipline to age them for any considerable time.

The current top 10 represents about half of my cellar, with Rockford and Wendouree comprising some 22%. Whilst there are probably too many bottles, I am happy with the overall mix. Like other forumites, I buy to enjoy with family and friends. Whilst there are plenty of special occasion wines, I have no issue in opening a ‘nice’ bottle mid-week, particularly as we work our way through this wretched year.

tuxy85

Post by tuxy85 »

I am very early into my wine collecting journey having started in 2016. I also have a young family (limited budget) and a small locker at Wine Ark (limited storage). Listed by producer with 5 bottles or more:

1. Henschke - 19 bottles (on their wine club)
2. Boireann - 12 bottles (favourite local winery)
3. Cullen - 12 bottles
4. Mount Pleasant - 9 bottles
5. Grosset - 9 bottles
6. Wynns - 7 bottles
7. Mount Mary - 5 bottles

Listed by variety - total of 127 bottles - almost exclusively Australian
33% shiraz
24% cabernet & blends
11% pinot noir
9% riesling
5% chardonnay
18% other assorted reds & whites

When I started my small collection was shiraz heavy but I have been trying to change that already. I have been starting to collect more Pinot Noir and Chardonnay so the percentage is likely to creep up even with somewhat limited collecting at this stage in my life.

Dragzworthy

Post by Dragzworthy »

I also didn't start long ago (2015 from memory) so the evolution of the cellar has not been truly tested though there's been a shift away from heavy Aussie wines into more old world (Super Tuscan, Piedmont, Rioja). I initially went very hard at Cabernet and Cabernet Blends from birth Australia and France (all Bordeaux) and I think two thirds of the cellar is the latter l, mostly 2015 and 2019 birth year wines for the boys. My challenge going forward is to diversify away from Bordeaux and into wherever my palate takes me...thus far Burgundy is calling as my wallet protests.

Waiters Friend

Post by Waiters Friend »

This is an interesting question. I'm not going to do the Top 10 thing, as for example, I still have a reasonable quantity of Seppelt Shiraz. 15 years ago, it was Chalambar, but these days I have most recent vintages of St Peters and Mount Ida as well. Some of this is a function of affluence as my income has increased over that time, and more of my disposable income ends up being spent on wine.

The size of the cellar has grown over 20 years. It has grown from 400 to approx 2800 over that time. In 2000, the cellar was close to 100% Australian, whereas these days its about 10% non-Australian. It doesn't sound like much of a change, but given the seven-fold increase in total bottles, it is starting to look like an increasing trend. Part of this is a function of international travel (France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Spain) in the past 7 years.

In terms of varieties, Shiraz is still the winner, but these days by a small margin over Cabernet Sauvignon and blends (which has increased over the years) and Chardonnay (a perennial favourite, and probably the most consumed variety in this household). Riesling is up there as well, but, as my partner doesn't drink the stuff, I will see a gradual decline. Pinot Noir has climbed to about 8% of the total.

Overall, though, my average spend per bottle seems to be climbing. Somebody warned me of this (on this forum, I believe) at least a decade ago, and I have fallen victim to this debilitating disease :)

Cheers
Allan
Wine, women and song. Ideally, you can experience all three at once.

brodie

Post by brodie »

JamieBahrain wrote:
As I became a fervent drinker and collector of Piedmont wines, just before the wave of popularity, about 15 years ago, I've built my cellar up to about 40% of wines from this region.
I am gobsmacked, I would have guessed much higher than 40% based on what you drink and post about!

I am a bit over 10% Piedmont in the cellar which works out well for how often I drink them. Red burgs are No.1 region at 25% and Aussie wines are now down to 12%

brodie

Post by brodie »

Waiters Friend wrote:
Overall, though, my average spend per bottle seems to be climbing. Somebody warned me of this (on this forum, I believe) at least a decade ago, and I have fallen victim to this debilitating disease :)

Cheers
Allan
Yes indeed this is a affliction that many of us with wine cellars suffer from! My average price per bottle has doubled over the last 20 years or so.

brodie

Post by brodie »

Mike Hawkins wrote: There’s also a few 6 packs pa of GC and PC burgundy as I hope to find out what the hype is about (haven’t worked It out after 30years).
Stick to Champagne Mike, much safer and actually cheaper! Red Burgs are a nightmare, expensive, tiny volumes, highly allocated, need long aging to show their best. So yes Red Burgs are over hyped and not worth it, but I love them so put up with all the issues.

Con J

Post by Con J »

Interesting to look back.
Started my wine journey in 1999-2000.

100% Aussie.
..........90% Red.
..........10% White.

80% Aussie.
..........90% Red.
..........5% White.
..........5% Fortified.
20% French.
..........50% Bordeaux.
..........35% Rhone.
..........15% Burgundy.
A little bit from Germany, Spain, Argentina and USA.

60% Aussie.
..........90% Red.
..........10% Fortified.
35% French.
..........50% Burgundy.
..........30% Bordeaux.
..........20% Rhone.
5% Italian.
..........100% Piedmont.
A little bit less from Germany, Spain, Argentina and USA.

45% Aussie.
..........80% Red.
..........20% Fortified.
35% French.
..........80% Burgundy.
..........15% Bordeaux.
..........5% Rhone.
20% Italian.
..........95% Piedmont.
..........5% Brunello.
Very little from Germany and Spain, nothing from Argentina and USA.

Buying very little these days apart from Aussie fortified, can't help myself.

Cheers Con.

Benchmark

Post by Benchmark »

Ten years ago nothing but AUS.

Now almost entirely Italian and Spanish.

Better value for money from these countries. Locals chase the Bordeaux and Burgundy hard so the French prices are through the roof.
Instagram @ggriffo374
Facebook Grant Griffin
Twitter @vineswalking
https://cyclemeaway.blogspot.com/

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

brodie wrote:
Mike Hawkins wrote: There’s also a few 6 packs pa of GC and PC burgundy as I hope to find out what the hype is about (haven’t worked It out after 30years).
Stick to Champagne Mike, much safer and actually cheaper! Red Burgs are a nightmare, expensive, tiny volumes, highly allocated, need long aging to show their best. So yes Red Burgs are over hyped and not worth it, but I love them so put up with all the issues.
That’s the plan! I always equate purchases back to personal “benchmark” wines especially around price. Taittinger Comtes, Peters Chetillons, DP, Grosset Polish Hill, Florita, Trimbach CFE, Leoville Barton, both Pichons, Rieussec, LEAS Chardonnay, Rockford BP and until recently, Mt Ed are some of them.

Thus, if other wines don’t compare favourably both qualitatively and financially, I tend to avoid buying them. Burgs tend to fit that avoidance criteria as I’ve had some expensive disappointments. And Bordeaux is rapidly joining them based on disappointments from late 80s and mid 90s.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

brodie wrote:
JamieBahrain wrote:
As I became a fervent drinker and collector of Piedmont wines, just before the wave of popularity, about 15 years ago, I've built my cellar up to about 40% of wines from this region.
I am gobsmacked, I would have guessed much higher than 40% based on what you drink and post about!

I am a bit over 10% Piedmont in the cellar which works out well for how often I drink them. Red burgs are No.1 region at 25% and Aussie wines are now down to 12%
I only post about Piedmont to be honest Brodie ( sometimes classic Aussies if I have the time ). I sort of use the forum to keep vibes on my impressions of Piedmont wines ( sorry to be boring ). I get to drink high quality Burgundy and Bordeaux weekly, but I'm generally thinking of my next nebbiolo fix or hit. I'm coming off Burgundy a bit, letting those with the bug take my seat, as well as the fact price is seeing friends open less of them!

Over time, my wife now struggles with anything other than Piedmont as well. Not that she would refuse a glass of anything else, just what she's been forced to become accustomed to. :D Lower alcohol, incredible food durability, lower additives due high tannin/acid, cheap ( $20 AUD ) and difficulty in oxidising make them a favourite of our household.

I actually have a few hundred bottles backlogged to get back to Australia. Mostly 15's and 16's Barolo and Barbaresco. I usually move a few hundred bottles a year. Friends are kind and regular travellers as well as airline industry pals. Very fortunate! So my cellar by retirement should be 80% Piedmont.

Teobaldo Cappellano

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

still got lots of 70's-90's Aussie stuff, Penfolds, Wynns, Baileys, Tahbilk, Henschke etc. but they simply sit in diamonds at the back of the cellar and virtually never get touched, except if the sons are in Aus and have a look at a bottle or two.
nothing wrong with the wines, some are excellent, but not what I drink anymore.
pretty much entirely French now, probably 85% of my cellar French (Bordeaux, Burgundy mainly, lesser Rhone Loire Champagne )
around 5% of my cellar German, Californian, Italian and Spanish.
remaining 10% Aussie. Probably around 500-600 bottles, which I'll eventually send to auction.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Had a French friend, Burgundy lover, just propose a By Farr dinner in Hong Kong with my wine-group. Not dissing By Farr, just caught me off guard that a Frenchman would organise such.

Though your cellar packed with classic Australia Felix, try much of the newer stuff? Or still no interest?

Teobaldo Cappellano

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

I found that the more storage I had, the more I bought. Around 2000 I probably had 1200 bottles stored at home, but 20 years later the current house has a capacity for 180 bottles (although there must be 250+ in total with help of a "beer" fridge and a warddrobe). That has meant more buying of wines to drink in the near term and very little wine to cellar for an extended period.

There are a few wines I have sold over the years that I regret, but I'm really happy with what I have now and the wines I buy. Obviously living in Auz means pricing and access to wine is very different to the Netherlands, but I can get enough interesting wines here (local and international) to keep me going. I reckon my purchases are 60/40 in favour of Auz, and 80/20 in favour of white. 20 years ago it was only 30% Aus and 80% Red.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

Actually, I still have a little interest. More so now I am stuck here until at least February.

so far in 2020 I have purchased some 2018 pinots: Hurley Garamond, Bay of Fires, Pooley and Crittenden Cri Du Coeur. Also purchased Crittenden Savignin, my only regular Aussie purchase.

tried the new wave Barossa shiraz wines, they are not bad, but not my style.
some stuff coming out of the Clare also interesting, but again, a pass for me.

felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

Jamie, get your mate to source some of Kevin Bell's Hurley pinots, I think he will be impressed if he likes the By Farr style.

WAwineguy

Post by WAwineguy »

By Producer:

1. Wendouree
2. Mount Mary
3. Wynns
4. Penfolds (* haven't bought a single bottle since 2014, but then I don't drink it that much any more)
5. Cullen
6. Marius
7. Rockford
8. Giaconda
9. Moss Wood
10. Bouchard Pere et Fils (first of many French producers going further down the list)

Whereas 5 years ago I had more Shiraz, now Cabernet/Bordeaux blend is in the majority, Burgundy (red and white) is now significant and I have heaps more Champagne than I ever imagined I could possibly possess! Also now have nearly 5% of my collection as Italian wines. Australian wines now make up a mere 57% of my collection compared to 85% five years ago.

So the trend has definitely been away from big Aussie shiraz and towards Bordeaux, Burgundy, Champagne, Tuscany/Piedmont.

Why? I think I got tired of drinking Shiraz :roll: