Wendouree 2020 Mailer

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
bdellabosca

Re: Wendouree 2020 Mailer

Post by bdellabosca »

I've ordered the maximum 6 bottles of everything. Although I've done that pretty much every year and often only receive a 6 pack in total.

2018 appears to be a very interesting vintage - from what I can find online seems to be generalised as early challenges followed by consistent good weather in the second half of the season, with dry growing conditions and small bunches. Hailed by some as "Great" across all varietals. While I'm a little too cynical to believe that I am hoping we'll see high quality / intensity for the 2018 Wendouree wines. Fingers crossed...

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

I ordered 18 bottles in total, although 6 will be sent to a friend in Europe.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

DJ1980

Post by DJ1980 »

Can't afford it but ordered 6 of each wine. I am a red crayon so I won't get all that I ask for. Last year was a disaster!

wiggum

Post by wiggum »

DJ what was your experience last year?

mini2

Post by mini2 »

Red crayon, ordered 6 of everything last year, only $600 worth of stuff turned up - nothing contains cab or shiraz while some newbies got everything. Really rubbed it in when you see bottles popping up in auctions.

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

DJ1980 wrote:Can't afford it but ordered 6 of each wine. I am a red crayon so I won't get all that I ask for. Last year was a disaster!
Except of course sometime you get them all. The 1st time we ordered we only received the Shiraz Mataro and the Muscat. 2nd year and my wife decided to order 7 of everything as there was no way it would all come....of course it did. Limits at the time for us were 6 per wine, so dont quite understand how she managed to get 7 - I suppose they though the extra bottle was just for tasting.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

kohen

Post by kohen »

18 bottles charged today, quick turnaround this year! Assume I got what I asked for

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

What state and crayon colour are you? We need to know! :)
Imugene, cure for cancer.

kohen

Post by kohen »

Black Signature, SA

Ordered 6 Shiraz,6 CM, 3 ea of Shiraz Blends

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

Red crayon. Full order confirmed too :wink:

Croquet King

Post by Croquet King »

I called Wendouree to see where they are up to and they said very small year and only 60% of people have returned forms so far.
So they are waiting until mid august to do the allocations.

I asked oh so you haven't done any allocations yet.
They said no then back tracked and said well we have to staff and locals.

Interesting
I appreciate all forms of alcohol, as long as its wine.

Croquet King

Post by Croquet King »

maybe I should just unload and tell them where to go - I don't need the stress each year - I think once I've got a full allocation.

I can put my $ elsewhere

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

You guys in Australia are lucky to be able to get allocations at reasonable prices so the sound of whinges are not a good look, at least to me. I have longed for a bottle of Wendouree ever since, a very long time ago, I read that Wendouree made age-worthy, inky dark reds in bucket-like quantities.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:You guys in Australia are lucky to be able to get allocations at reasonable prices so the sound of whinges are not a good look, at least to me. I have longed for a bottle of Wendouree ever since, a very long time ago, I read that Wendouree made age-worthy, inky dark reds in bucket-like quantities.
Mahmoud, if you are ever in ADL, we can organise an offline...I'll bring a Wendouree or two.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Croquet King

Post by Croquet King »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:You guys in Australia are lucky to be able to get allocations at reasonable prices so the sound of whinges are not a good look, at least to me. I have longed for a bottle of Wendouree ever since, a very long time ago, I read that Wendouree made age-worthy, inky dark reds in bucket-like quantities.
Whinge - rant - frustration.

It is clear they have no fair way of allocating their wines.
They sell out of all their wines so they can do what they want.

Mahmoud - I'll also offer you a few Wendourees if you ever make it to Sydney but I'm down to my last 5 dozen. :D

Croquet King

Post by Croquet King »

Croquet King wrote:
Whinge - rant - frustration.

It is clear they have no fair way of allocating their wines.
They sell out of all their wines so they can do what they want.

Mahmoud - I'll also offer you a few Wendourees if you ever make it to Sydney but I'm down to my last 5 dozen. :D
Thinking about it - if we can arrange it I'll send you a bottle over. If you want one I'll get it to you.

Has anyone sent wine to Canada from Aus?

sjw_11
Site Admin

Post by sjw_11 »

I disagree. I think there is a fair complaint.

The way they allocate their wines, you could support them by putting in an AU$2,100 order every year for 10 years (3 cases) and 5 years you might get half, two years you get virtually nothing while hearing that people who just joined the list got their full order, and 3 years you might get everything you ordered.

That means if you want to get something you invariably have to over order which means 3 out of 10 times you suddenly have to pay more than you really want to, and a couple of times you still get nothing anyway.

This understandably frustrates people, notwithstanding that the wines (if you get them) represent good value (if you like the style).
------------------------------------
Sam

wiggum

Post by wiggum »

SJW - I agree With you 100%. Your summary is exactly what I have experienced over a 15 year period.

So this year for whatever reason Aus Post delivered the mailer on Tuesday 7th (others received theirs on 2nd or 3rd - Not Wendourees fault I understand). I post my order that afternoon. I phone up recently and get told that they have my order form but won’t be processing it until August and that I will likely not get all that I have ordered.

So after 15 years and spending 2K almost every year (when they fill my order) I am at the mercy of some weird Allocation system that doesn’t seem to reward longevity or loyalty appropriately.

So it may well be my last order, as others have said the stress of waiting and access to plenty of other fantastic wines make it unpalatable.

Plenty will see this as a whinge (and it is) but I challenge any fair minded person to agree that their allocation system is Just.

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

wiggum wrote:Plenty will see this as a whinge (and it is) but I challenge any fair minded person to agree that their allocation system is Just.
I've been buying for 20 years and get what I want every vintage. I thought it fair though I must have got on the list a t a good time.

A big problem is Aussie Post- lost mailers. That's created issues but Wendouree have always given me allocations late in the piece.
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

wiggum

Post by wiggum »

Jamie - I think I am right when I say you are Black stripe. So there are two cohorts of customers for Wendouree. Those that get what they want and the rest. That’s nice for you and good luck to you but your experience is not consistent with the majority. Jamie - I like your sense of loyalty and note over many years you advocate Wendourees fantastic wine but this issue is about the fairness of their allocation and how they treat All their customers not just the long term ones. Unfortunately for the rest wendourees recognition of long term loyalty (however you classify that) is poor to non existent. So we get lumped in that group with as I termed it ‘newbies’ and it feels like a lotto ticket most years.

Hacker

Post by Hacker »

The hierarchy is black initials -APB- for people who have been buying from the 1990’s, followed by black then red crayon markings, (or is it red then black). Usually I get everything but one year I just asked for shiraz only and only got offered shiraz Malbec. Obviously the way is to order across the range. I have been buying since the 1990 vintage, and the first vintage to be somewhat restricted was 1996 with shiraz only allowable a dozen maximum. They delivered in cases of 12 then, much prefer the 6 packs as they do now.
Imugene, cure for cancer.

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

wiggum wrote:SJW - I agree With you 100%. Your summary is exactly what I have experienced over a 15 year period.

So this year for whatever reason Aus Post delivered the mailer on Tuesday 7th (others received theirs on 2nd or 3rd - Not Wendourees fault I understand). I post my order that afternoon. I phone up recently and get told that they have my order form but won’t be processing it until August and that I will likely not get all that I have ordered.

So after 15 years and spending 2K almost every year (when they fill my order) I am at the mercy of some weird Allocation system that doesn’t seem to reward longevity or loyalty appropriately.

So it may well be my last order, as others have said the stress of waiting and access to plenty of other fantastic wines make it unpalatable.

Plenty will see this as a whinge (and it is) but I challenge any fair minded person to agree that their allocation system is Just.
What is Just? Everyone getting the same order?

wiggum

Post by wiggum »

Who suggested that?

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

Matt@5453 wrote:
wiggum wrote:SJW - I agree With you 100%. Your summary is exactly what I have experienced over a 15 year period.

What is Just? Everyone getting the same order?
Perhaps rewarding loyalty? It's a backward system. Within a week there will be heaps of current vintage on Langtons. Seems to be the same every year. But I am at the point of not really caring anymore. I only order because my wife loves the stuff. I have 10 vintages now and that should almost see me out anyway.

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I take it there is variability in the fulfillment of orders but if one gets more than one wants wouldn't it be easy to pass them on to people who have no allocation. It also sounds like there wouldn't be a problem to sell the unwanted bottles, surely for a profit, though I understand that wouldn't be the intent.
phillisc wrote:Mahmoud, if you are ever in ADL, we can organise an offline...I'll bring a Wendouree or two.
Croquet King wrote:Mahmoud - I'll also offer you a few Wendourees if you ever make it to Sydney but I'm down to my last 5 dozen.
Thanks for the offer guys, sounds great and very kind. My next scheduled visit to Australia is two years from now, to Sydney, likely in late July, early August. If there is a Wendouree off-line, or an exchange, perhaps I can bring something from my collection, say something aged from the old world.

Cheers .......................... Mahmoud.

tuxy85

Post by tuxy85 »

How does the system work? I placed my very first Wendouree order requesting a mixed 6 pack (4 bottles of Shiraz Mataro and 2 bottles of Cabernet Malbec). At this stage of my life (early 30s with a young family) - spending more than $300 on wine at once is a big deal. Anyway, given that I have only ordered a mixed 6 pack, am I likely to receive anything back from them?

Matt@5453

Post by Matt@5453 »

tuxy85 wrote:How does the system work? I placed my very first Wendouree order requesting a mixed 6 pack (4 bottles of Shiraz Mataro and 2 bottles of Cabernet Malbec). At this stage of my life (early 30s with a young family) - spending more than $300 on wine at once is a big deal. Anyway, given that I have only ordered a mixed 6 pack, am I likely to receive anything back from them?
They are good people, they will try to get you something even if its a couple of bottles.

dave vino

Post by dave vino »

I wonder if they think all the big order people are the ones that flick to Auction.

I've been buying for about 12 years and generally get everything I ask for, usually a mixed 1.5 case order. Red Crayon.

Scotty vino

Post by Scotty vino »

I was in CV from thurs thru sundee. Speaking with a lot of folk @ Cds the feedback was 2018 vintage was really good across the board and that rang true with all the tastings i did.

Hopefully everyone gets what they asked for as it sounds like it'll be worth the extended wait. :D :D

IN the meantime I picked up some other odds and sods throughout the place. Great time of year and really awesome to see it getting quite busy over the weekend with folks spending locally.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Scotty vino wrote:I was in CV from thurs thru sundee. Speaking with a lot of folk @ Cds the feedback was 2018 vintage was really good across the board and that rang true with all the tastings i did.

Hopefully everyone gets what they asked for as it sounds like it'll be worth the extended wait. :D :D

IN the meantime I picked up some other odds and sods throughout the place. Great time of year and really awesome to see it getting quite busy over the weekend with folks spending locally.
Great to hear, might head up in September, have a couple of weeks off. Did you get to Pauletts, hear the wine flight and nibbles is a very good experience and great value.
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day