The 'What's your thoughts on this wine' Thread

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
George Krashos

Re: The 'What's your thoughts on this wine' Thread

Post by George Krashos »

Had the 13 Cirillo 1850 Grenache on the weekend. Good juice, varietal and built to last.

-- George Krashos

mjs

Post by mjs »

Redav wrote:Any chance people have any thoughts on these wines?

Best's Great Western Shiraz Bin No 1
Cirillo Grenache 1850's Old Vine
Cirillo Grenache The Vincent
Seppelt Riesling Drumborg Vineyard

I think I've seen people rate Best's a bit so I saw some and grabbed something. I had heard that the original Rockford Dry Country grenache grapes went into this wine so I'm keen to see what this is like as we've picked up some new RDC (which is new to us). I picked up their 'lesser' wine too to try. We enjoyed the 2016 vintage and have the 2017 and 2018 as well. We found two other 2016 grenache wines from producers in the same region that we have enjoyed which is good.
The Vincent has a bit of a place with my wine mates, good value, savoury, great flavour, old vines. We have spent time tasting with Marco at CD, he has access to some of the oldest Grenache vines in the Barossa, which also looked liked amongst the healthiest vines we have ever seen, even those >150yo. For $20+ bucks, the Vincent is great value.
veni, vidi, bibi
also on twitter @m_j_short
and instagram m_j_short

Redav

Post by Redav »

George Krashos wrote:Had the 13 Cirillo 1850 Grenache on the weekend. Good juice, varietal and built to last.
Oh great. Any idea if you can tell if there's development? It's under screw so might be slow? I picked up a '13 to try and then grabbed a '10 as an anniversary wine to share with friends next weekend. We're looking forward to opening both.
mjs wrote:The Vincent has a bit of a place with my wine mates, good value, savoury, great flavour, old vines. We have spent time tasting with Marco at CD, he has access to some of the oldest Grenache vines in the Barossa, which also looked liked amongst the healthiest vines we have ever seen, even those >150yo. For $20+ bucks, the Vincent is great value.
That's good to hear. It sounds like it's not just in the Barossa but the world too. I wonder how well the Vincent might keep? We've had a '16 and I have a '17 and '18 to try too.

Ozzie W

Post by Ozzie W »

Best's Great Western Shiraz Bin No 1
A great QPR cool climate shiraz that you can drink young or confidently cellar for a decade or longer depending on vintage. You'd be hard pressed to find better at the price point. The 2011 vintage won the Jimmy Watson Trophy.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

We had a 2010 Vincent a few weeks back and it was simply stunning. So bright and fresh, lovely nose and good length. Should hold for a few years yet too. Wish I had more. I find the 1850's a bit hit and miss. When it's good, it's great. But I've had a few that were just say so. The Vincent is up there in the VFM stakes.

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Seppelts Drumborg...fab Riesling and in the years when they could put out a Cabernet, stunning wine....wonder where that fruit now goes in the TWE monolith?
Agree too with Bests Bin 1, have had the last 3 -4 vintages for $20 or so really punches above its weight...I am biased though, have purchased Bin 0 for 20 plus years :D
Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

Polymer

Post by Polymer »

I think this is really good each year....a bit of residual which I think really adds to the wine...Definitely in my top 10 AU rieslings..

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Polymer wrote:

I think this is really good each year....a bit of residual which I think really adds to the wine...Definitely in my top 10 AU rieslings..
Very much so Polymer, but top 5 for me :mrgreen:
Cheers Craig

Redav

Post by Redav »

Thanks for the thoughts
Polymer wrote:I think this is really good each year....a bit of residual which I think really adds to the wine...Definitely in my top 10 AU rieslings..
Gee, great to hear. I picked up a 2012 but shall pick up a recent vintage too

Any thoughts on the Drumborg's in general? What are they? Selected vintages? The Cab was mentioned so I'll keep an eye out for it but what of the Pinot and Chardonnay?

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Redav wrote:Thanks for the thoughts
Polymer wrote:I think this is really good each year....a bit of residual which I think really adds to the wine...Definitely in my top 10 AU rieslings..
Gee, great to hear. I picked up a 2012 but shall pick up a recent vintage too

Any thoughts on the Drumborg's in general? What are they? Selected vintages? The Cab was mentioned so I'll keep an eye out for it but what of the Pinot and Chardonnay?
The Cabernet is discontinued, last vintage was 20 plus years ago (1998, I think). I had many vintages of the 80s and 90s, cracking wines, fetch a bit now on the secondary market.
Cheers Craig