Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Benchmark

Re: Right, what are we/you drinking now .. tonight

Post by Benchmark »

2014 Proprieta Franceshi Il Poggione Brunello Di Montalcino

Decanted for 90 minutes.

First impressions.

Medium garnet colour in the glass with slight coppering on the rim. On the nose, savoury, fennel, green herbs and tar. No presence of oak and the fruit, if it is there, is hard to detect and tertiary. On the palate, it is high acid, big tannins, black tea and green capsicum.

This wine is wound so tight it was not presenting itself. The high acid and tannins almost threw it out of balance.

We had dinner, pictures below, Malaysia is not perfect, but that spread was $30AUS and easily filled the four of us.

Two hours later, it was a different wine.

The nose has strawberries, tomato vine, white pepper and sweet nutmeg with some mushroom sitting in the background. Masculine, certainly, but approachable. The palate was excellent. The acid was well in balance, the tannins, while persistent and powdery, held appeal rather than aggression. In the mouth were the strawberries, black tea and subtle, sweet spices of nutmeg. Excellent textured mouthfeel, mouth-watering acidity and gripping tannins.

This is a very good wine that was opened before its time.

90 pts.

Drink 2025-2030.

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/0pe5PC5EDv ... authuser=0[/img]

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/31PRG1W7kC ... authuser=0[/img]
Instagram @ggriffo374
Facebook Grant Griffin
Twitter @vineswalking
https://cyclemeaway.blogspot.com/

Rory

Post by Rory »

2013 Moorooduc Estate The Duck Pinot Noir.

2013 was a pretty hot vintage, but i am often pleasantly surprised how well some of the top producers handled it. Better knowledge, older vines?
It is slightly warm, and rich, but its still pretty bloody good drinking! Going well with the Beef Cheeks in Balsamic reduction (and Polenta).

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

A quiet Sunday evening dinner:
Torres,Crasto,Folly-a.jpg.jpg
Torres,Crasto,Folly-b.jpg.jpg
2006 Torres 'Fransola' Sauvignon Blanc, Penedes, Spain (13%). Here is another one-off that I bought but cellared because the back label suggested 3 to 5 years of cellaring. Time flies. Anyway, about the wine. Colour was nice, a bright yellow gold, but whatever it was like when young it had morphed into something altogether different, what I want my Sauvignon Blanc to be like, something broad, rounded and almost tropical. The two tasters at the table went old world, one for Chablis, the other for a Rhone blend. So exotic and tropical was the nose that they continued on the Riesling, Viognier, and Gewurztraminer, indeed thinking it might be an old Vina Esmeralda (we've been there before). The palate was equally fine and went perfectly with the mushroom and scallop soup.

1999 Quinta do Crasto Touriga Nacional, Douro, Portugal (12.5%). This had a very perfumed nose, spicy, menthol and herb inflected, and earthy barnyard notes, with a hint of hi-toned notes suggesting it might be peaking. I thought it was intoxicating. The palate was light to medium-bodied, dark cherry, herbal, savoury, no tannins to speak of, and a spike of acidity. The grilled steak brought out more of the fruit. I'm not sure this will go much further. The others at the table were right in guessing old world but naturally enough struggled to identify Touriga Nacional.

2002 Montes Folly, Apalta, Chile (14.5%). This look very dark in the glass, a dark garnet, colour to the rim. The nose was fragrant, intense black cherry, inky, mineral notes, and seemingly youthful. The palate was vibrant and black-fruited, hawthorn-like, with ripe tannins and grip, clearly for the long haul. Served by a friend I thought it was an old world wine. When told otherwise I immediately dismissed the usual suspects of Shiraz and Cabernet and worked on the Malbec, Carmenere, Mourvedre, Nebbiolo line (he once served me a Mexican Nebbiolo). Wrong again. When told it was Syrah (duh!) I went for Australia. This is seriously good wine, one for the long haul. Very, very nice

Cheers ................................ Mahmoud.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

Used to drink Fransola when I was in my Sauvignon Blanc phase. Nice wine - better than their top Chardonnay. I like it young though - not a fan of tropical in my Sauvignon Blanc.
This is my church, this is where I heal my hurts.
For tonight, God is the Auswine Wine Forum

Rory

Post by Rory »

2002 Lakes Folly.

Out of the depths of my cellar... the things you find when you look!

I will assume, like the rest of Australia, that the '02 vintage was pretty average in the Hunter.
It's make up is: Cab 60%, Petit Verdot 21%, Shiraz 11%, Merlot 8%.

Regardless, the funky Brett conceals most things unfortunately. Bear in mind I have a really low tolerance to Brett. So if you like your wine to have no terrior or grape variety definition.... you'd love it! :lol:

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

mychurch wrote:Used to drink Fransola when I was in my Sauvignon Blanc phase. Nice wine - better than their top Chardonnay. I like it young though - not a fan of tropical in my Sauvignon Blanc.
Fair enough, though perhaps I may have exaggerated. I have not had a Torres Chardonnay, but have enjoyed their Mas La Plana Cabernet and Mas Borras Pinot Noir.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Rory wrote:2002 Lakes Folly.

I will assume, like the rest of Australia, that the '02 vintage was pretty average in the Hunter.
l:
I would disagree with that assessment. Some sensational rieslings in CV and EV from 2002, as well as Shiraz from Eden Valley.

Rory

Post by Rory »

Yes, you would definitely be correct about the Rieslings. Should have remembered the '02's squirreled away in the Cellar.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Rory wrote:Yes, you would definitely be correct about the Rieslings. Should have remembered the '02's squirreled away in the Cellar.
Nice work! The Grosset PH is still young but some others are in a good spot now

Michael McNally

Post by Michael McNally »

phillisc wrote:Carrying on with MV...
2014 Marius Symphony. My first Marius that I purchased...sorry but what a fu*king belter of a wine!!!
Inky black berries spice savoury tones, thick rich palate that went on and on with plush drying tannins. This is a baby... will be very long lived...so different to the Bondar which was despite improvement with a bit more air, completely smashed by this.
A bit of a wow moment here
Cheers Craig
Craig

Absolutley spot on comment and no apology required! I am fortunate to have had this moment in 2006 with the 2003 (and had tried a barrel sample of the 2004 Symphony). If I want to be certain of having a great rather than a good wine on any occasion Marius is my go to. Fortunately I still have 135 bottles........

Cheers

Michael
Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor Hominis

JamieBahrain

Post by JamieBahrain »

Mike Hawkins wrote:

l:
I would disagree with that assessment. Some sensational rieslings in CV and EV from 2002, as well as Shiraz from Eden Valley.
Wasn't 2002 a great vintage?

Agree with Mike. The Henschke's were something else- Ed, Roses and HofG
"Barolo is Barolo, you can't describe it, just as you can't describe Picasso"

Teobaldo Cappellano

Rory

Post by Rory »

There will always be exceptions, but generally speaking,IMO, most of SE Australia was considered average, and so was Hunter. Barossa and Coonwarra not so much.

ticklenow1

Post by ticklenow1 »

JamieBahrain wrote:
Mike Hawkins wrote:

l:

I think it was a good vintage in SA, not great as many claim. Great for Riesling, but over rated for reds. Some great wines made yes, but plenty of average ones too. Try a Rockford Basket Press from 2002, hasn't aged that well at all. 2004 on the other hand, is an under rated vintage and produced some incredible wines in SA. My favourite vintage from the '00's

Cheers
Ian
If you had to choose between drinking great wine or winning Lotto, which would you choose - Red or White?

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Hi Rory.

IMO 2002 was one of the best vintages in SA in the last 3 decades. A cooler year but with a long gentle ripening season. Certainly up there with 90, 96, 98, 10,and 12. Some may disagree. Some of the best wines I've had in the last 10 years were from 02.
Your worst game of golf is better than your best day at work

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Chuck wrote:IMO 2002 was one of the best vintages in SA in the last 3 decades. A cooler year but with a long gentle ripening season. Certainly up there with 90, 96, 98, 10,and 12. Some may disagree. Some of the best wines I've had in the last 10 years were from 02.
I did not know that. From what I remember, I have only two wines from that vintage, a Bin 389 and a Metala Black Label Original Vines. Now my hope for the Metala has been raised.

Cheers ........................ Mahmoud.

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

ticklenow1 wrote:
JamieBahrain wrote:
Mike Hawkins wrote:

I think it was a good vintage in SA, not great as many claim. Great for Riesling, but over rated for reds. Some great wines made yes, but plenty of average ones too. Try a Rockford Basket Press from 2002, hasn't aged that well at all. 2004 on the other hand, is an under rated vintage and produced some incredible wines in SA. My favourite vintage from the '00's

Cheers
Ian
I don’t think 2004 was under rated. There was huge hoopla on releases of Penfolds Special Bins. I vaguely recall Gago saying it was one of Barossa’s greatest vintages. At any rate, I agree with your assessment of 2004. Some superb reds from SA.

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

Yes wished I had picked up 02/04 St Henri, both around $55 IIRC.
Remember the press at the time going gaga over them

Cheers Craig
Tomorrow will be a good day

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

2006 Hardy's HRB AH/CV Shiraz. This is beautiful wine...inky black dark fruits fragrant nose of berry, mixed spice. Warm and generous on the palate with everything in balance...fine grained tannins. Another decade easily, only 3 left... wished I brought far more.
Cheers Craig

Sean

Post by Sean »

deleted
Last edited by Sean on Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rossco

Post by Rossco »

2008 Curly Flat Pinot - Screwcap

Really nice balance, tannin fully integrated here. Lots of earth and mushroom, slight truffle as well. Had some strawberry sweetness about it, slightly spicy still, some stalky whole bunch in there that keeps everything interesting and oak not obtrusive or overpowering.Nice wine. Only criticism was I thought the length a tad short.

Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Last night I had to choose between a 1995 and 1996 Weinert Malbec, and not knowing anything about Argentinian vintages, I opted for the former because it had a slightly lower fill and was just a shade lighter in colour as viewed through the bottle. the 1995 also had the added cachet of being 25 year old, it being a southern hemisphere wine. The back label states that the wine was aged for 3 years in medium sized French oak casks. It also says that Robert Parker gave Weinert a 5-star producer rating in his Wine Buyer's Guide. Weinert, with it's long wood aging, is considered a very traditional producer.
Weinert 1995 Malbec.jpg.jpg
1995 Weinert Malbec Gran Vino, Luyan de Cujo, Mendoza, Argentina(13.5%)

I gave this a relatively short decant, about 15 minutes and a spell in the fridge. The colour was a dark garnet, colour pretty much to the rim with a slight fading. The nose blossomed in our Bordeaux glasses, with black cherry fruit, notes of mint/eucalyptus, and dried herbs. The palate was more savoury, the tannins fully resolved and the touch of astringency really complimenting our well marbled prime rib steaks. My partner in crime thought it was an old world wine. This was a really lovely wine, and very satisfying. The 1996 will be going back into the cellar to slumber for another few years.

Mahmoud.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

14242276-A2E3-4019-9984-D723692D7A2A.jpeg
7ACA76D6-020A-4E6F-BA55-1E2186F193D6.jpeg
When I saw the ‘11 Muller Kabinett on the shelf this afternoon, I decided that it had probably been there on the shop for a long time and would more than likely have some sort of heat damage. Still, the price was good and Riesling is fairly indestructible. I was right. It’s great. Lots of creamy, exotic fruit and brilliant, zingy acidity. Still in a primary phase, this needs at least another 5 years and will take 10 easily

The ‘16 Jura wine is the first of a discount case for Terrason. Very different, but just as much fun. Natural style, lots of bread and yeast, lemon, stones. Very good and despite the low SO2 it’s aging well.

Dragzworthy

Post by Dragzworthy »

Castello Fonterutoli Gran Selezione Chianti 2013
Powerful wine. Herbs, smoke, balsamic, red cherries and blackberry with tertiary flavours of leather. I bought this bottle after staying at the estate and I regret only hand carrying one bottle back as I'd love to see how it would develop.

mychurch

Post by mychurch »

2017 Tarrington Chardonnay was corked for me on Sunday. Anyone who has been to a tasting with me will realize how bad it must have been for me to have noticed. Nose was muted, but the taste was all off and I got cardboard all over the tongue. I was tasting on Skype with Jelle in Amsterdam and although his bottle was good, the Tasting was ruined. 2nd corked bottle of theirs I have had and even though I love the wine, it’s off my purchase list now.

The 2015 Boudignon Cuvee Francoise is starting to throw off its puppy fact and will be a killer Chenin in a few years. So much poise. Great, great winemaking. Prices are not cheap, but they are only going to increase and buy a few now to try while you can.

Luke W

Post by Luke W »

2004 Taittinger Comtes Blanc de Blanc - seemed a bit indulgent to drink this with my wife to celebrate our 3rd grandchild on the way. Last time I had this it was an Auswine forum dinner at Sherwood with the troops, so I knew not to drink it too quickly or too cold. Not much development in 5 yrs and once again just amazing as the synergy between the palate and the wine intensified as both warmed up. It's like the world's best chardy with bubbles, not just a wine but a journey.
If you can remember what a wine is like the next day you didn't drink enough of it
Peynaud

Willard

Post by Willard »

Luke W wrote:2004 Taittinger Comtes Blanc de Blanc - seemed a bit indulgent to drink this with my wife to celebrate our 3rd grandchild on the way. Last time I had this it was an Auswine forum dinner at Sherwood with the troops, so I knew not to drink it too quickly or too cold. Not much development in 5 yrs and once again just amazing as the synergy between the palate and the wine intensified as both warmed up. It's like the world's best chardy with bubbles, not just a wine but a journey.
Congratulations Luke, sounds like a perfect time to open one.

And I remember the wine. It's probably the best Champagne I've tried, could tell it had a lot of potential upside when we tried it back then, and sounds like it still does.

Will
wills.wines

phillisc

Post by phillisc »

2018 Wynns Siding, popped and poured. For less than a tenner crazy VFM, really bright, expressive, lots of cherry and blueberry, a smidge of oak, well rounded, plush on the palate good weight and not over confected. Suspect it will be a barometer for the other '18 releases to come over the next 1-2 years
Cheers Craig

Mike Hawkins

Post by Mike Hawkins »

Luke W wrote:2004 Taittinger Comtes Blanc de Blanc - seemed a bit indulgent to drink this with my wife to celebrate our 3rd grandchild on the way. Last time I had this it was an Auswine forum dinner at Sherwood with the troops, so I knew not to drink it too quickly or too cold. Not much development in 5 yrs and once again just amazing as the synergy between the palate and the wine intensified as both warmed up. It's like the world's best chardy with bubbles, not just a wine but a journey.
I think this is eventually going to rival the 02 for 2nd best Comtes of the decade (behind 08). It is a magnificent wine in the making the more I try it. I bought more of this release than any other wine in my life...that’s how much I like it.

But more importantly, congrats on the grandchild!