Chalkers Crossing

The place on the web to chat about wine, Australian wines, or any other wines for that matter
Ratcatcher

Chalkers Crossing

Post by Ratcatcher »

Anyone got any personal experiences of these wines?

I like the sound of the reviews I've read of them so far but haven't ever seen a bottle.

They aren't available here in Tas. I've e-mailed the winery and got prices etc but my wife has forbid me from buying any more wine. :( I'm running out of places to store it. I can sneak a bottle or two through the front door but a case arriving by courier might be a bit too tricky.

Can anyone convince me whether I should take the risk of incurring her wrath or not?

Post by 707 »

Not here in SA either that I've seen but then again I don't go looking for their style of wine either. I doubt I'd run the risk of wine trial by the minimum case or marital disharmony over c-through!

As a matter of interest, what type of price bracket are they in?
Cheers - Steve
If you can see through it, it's not worth drinking!

Attila

Post by Attila »

I used to visit Chalkers Crossing cellar door every year when I drove the 360kms to Young for cherry picking. I usually buy the excellent Burgundy style Chardonnay and Pinot Noir, these only cost around AU $20 when there. Sometimes the Cabernet and the Shiraz are also outstanding but they vary considerably by vintage. The Riesling is OK standard, the other whites are quite good and the French winemaker lady is very talented for sure. I love the airconditioned barrel rooms filled with high quality French oak.
They always put on olive oil tasting as well and usually I buy a bottle for fresh baguette dipping.
Last November however I didn't drive the 2kms from our Motel to the cellar door as it was hot and humid out there and I dived into the pool instead.
Look Mr Ratcatcher, they are good value wines, that's why the positive reviews and they are properly made. I usually see some wines at First Estate but nowhere else in Sydney.
Last word of advice, do not upset your lady...if you want peace and quiet on the drinking front.
Wait a while and buy a mixed dozen later.
Cheers,
Attila

Ratcatcher

Post by Ratcatcher »

Cheers Atilla,

I'm too frightened to admit it here but it was the Semillon, Chardonnay and Pinot Noir that interested me.

I think I'll take your advice and hold off for a while. We are thinking of visiting some friends in Sydney later in the year, maybe I'll track down a couple of sample bottles and ensure my wife gets a taste. If she gives them the nod of approval then she may authorise the purchase of a dozen. :lol: :wink:

Thanks for the info.

RC

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

I've seen Chalkers Crossing at VC a few times as well as First Estate. About $20. The Chardonnay appears to be the star.

Kieran

didgidee

Post by didgidee »

i only ever had a 2000 Cab Sav of theirs[early last year] and it was a gem. the fruit character was impeccable and i would have bought more but it was in a clearance bin speculative pick up for $14, an u guessed it, all gone when i returned. for $20 it would have still have been a top buy. dave
wine is alchemy and adventure

BA

Post by BA »

Hi Ratcatcher,

I happened to have a 2002 Semillon on the weekend. Still very young and fresh, will last quite well and looks like starting to develop a little bit of complexity. Bodes well for the future. More in the hunter style than say a wooded Barossa. Reminds me a little of Huntington's from Mudgee.

I wandered into the winery in my travels last year and was impressed enough to take a case home. The pinot was nice enough but not enough "pinot factor", a good light red, real easy to drink. The chardy, semillon and shiraz were the pick. I rarely drink chardonnay, but this one was nice.
Overall, quite good wines there at excellent prices. You could do worse than a mixed case but don't upset the treasurer.

cheers
BA